PDA

View Full Version : Your Weeds Are Too Tall, Go Directly To Jail

nickcoons
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
http://www.nickcoonsforcongress.com/blog/view.php?id=39

The basic concept that every person may choose their own path in life so long as they don't forcefully interfere with the choices of others is at the core of libertarian political philosophy, and is one of the driving forces for the creation of America and its proceeding prosperity. There are many people that believe this is the political system we should have continued with, and would like to move more in that direction, even if they don't self-identify as Libertarian.

While many people can't quite put their finger on it, they know that there's something wrong with government taking money from the taxpayer to give it to failing companies, to waste away our productive resources domestically so we can engage in none-of-our-business wars overseas, or to try and micro-manage our lives. I often wonder where each person's tipping point lies, and what has to happen before any given individual says, "I've had enough, and I want control of my own life!" For any observer, there's no doubt that this basic human necessity is slowly drifting away from us, but more quickly now than years before.

As an example, it was reported in the Arizona Republic today (http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/2009/05/20/20090520cr-jailweeds0520.html) that the City of Chandler has sentenced an individual to jail for not keeping their property's appearance up to city standards. The linked article provides comments by readers, and I'm amazed at the number of people who side with the city's approach, that the property owner has somehow "victimized society" and that the punishment is just. It is the attitude of drafting, passing, and enforcing laws against victimless crimes that will contribute to the demise of a country built by those that came before us.

acptulsa
05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
'My property values are more important than your liberty.' What a statement.

How are you supposed to mow while in jail? Makes me think of Alice's Restaurant:

"I said, 'Officer Obie I don't think I can pick up the garbage with these handcuffs on.'

"He said, 'Shut up, kid.'"

ChaosControl
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I hate people...