PDA

View Full Version : Coke-Cola soda warning

Give me liberty
05-20-2009, 10:29 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8056028.stm
Excessive cola consumption can lead to anything from mild weakness to profound muscle paralysis, doctors are warning.

This is because the drink can cause blood potassium to drop dangerously low
A heart trace revealed she had an irregular heartbeat, probably caused by her low blood potassium levels.

Once she stopped drinking so much cola, she made a full and uneventful recovery.

I gota say i knew it from the moment when i was a kid i throw up something black while i was drinking coke, this stuff is a like drug, once your drinking it you cant stop uneles the bad stuff happens to your health, and also lets not forget.

George David - Präsident CocaCola Griechenland Bilderberg.

Liberty Star
05-20-2009, 11:00 AM
I was once told that to melt very old metal rust from a sink, use two bottles of coke to soak overnight. It worked, it has that much acidic power in it. I would still drink it once in blue moon now but not as much as I used to.

angelatc
05-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I was once told that to melt very old metal rust from a sink, use two bottles of coke to soak overnight. It worked, it has that much acidic power in it. I would still drink it once in blue moon now but not as much as I used to.

You should see what the acid in your stomach can do.

This cola thing is just another New World Order agenda item. Obama mentions he is going to tax it, and the "Oh it's bad for you!" stories start seeping out, right on cue.

dannno
05-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Tastes great with some Jack.

I've had a 24 pack of coke and a handle of jack now for a few weeks.. mostly been drinking it with friends and haven't had the desire to drink the soda by itself. Used to be my favorite soda, but I don't really drink soda anymore.

jsu718
05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Honestly the "acid" of Coca Cola (pH of 2.5-3.5 depending on who you believe) isn't that bad. Compared to your stomach (pH of 1, up to around 3 after eating) normally it is actually a mild ANTACID. 90% of the supposed "uses" for Coca Cola are made up. Orange juice is way worse for you in terms of teeth even though it's pH is 3.5

The reason that it would decrease potassium in the system, or any salt for that matter, is the fact that anything with caffeine acts as a diuretic... same with any irregular heartbeat, although that would only be more irritated by the caffeine rather than caused by it.

If you really want to complain about something bad with colas then talk about high fructose corn syrup and empty calories.

ChaosControl
05-20-2009, 11:52 AM
All soda is nasty, not just colas.

Water is better tasting and almost free.

asimplegirl
05-20-2009, 11:53 AM
mmmm vanilla coke.. I have been CRAVING it, and could not find it in the grocery store, and am not spending extra money outside of that arena until December (saving)

dannno
05-20-2009, 12:01 PM
All soda is nasty, not just colas.

This one is OK:

http://www.campaigncola.com/gifs/ron-paul-cola-100.jpg

Also I would think that an occasional soda made from natural ingredients and sweetened with unrefined sugar is probably ok.

muh_roads
05-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Like booze, I drink cola socially on occasion...but I prefer to regularly drink just plain water or fruit juices.

Natural is always better.

Icymudpuppy
05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm already hyperactive. Give me a caffeine and sugar high and there will be consequences. I avoid caffeinated beverages as a general rule, and more so if they are sweetened unless I am pushing the envelope of my endurance, such as driving all night to get to an event. Then I will only consume the caffeine to pry my eyes open for a couple more hours.

angelatc
05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I hate drinking water. Especially city water and bottled water.

I don't like juice. I love caffeine. HOwever, I also like lemonade and I believe I shall go make some.

White sugar. Sorry.

John of Des Moines
05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
If your car doesn't start check the positive battery terminal. If it's got a white powder build-up pour a little coke on it, wait 5 minutes and start the car.

2young2vote
05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
The sign at the dentists says Barqs root bear is one of the best pops for your teeth. Lets all drink that.

Icymudpuppy
05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
The sign at the dentists says Barqs root bear is one of the best pops for your teeth. Lets all drink that.

The dentist makes more money if your teeth need a lot of work.

zach
05-20-2009, 03:54 PM
You should see what the acid in your stomach can do.

This cola thing is just another New World Order agenda item. Obama mentions he is going to tax it, and the "Oh it's bad for you!" stories start seeping out, right on cue.

What's the agenda in your opinion? Get rid of colas, or soft drinks in general?

Why?

I've kind of noticed a trend in making drinks more "natural" anyway, so it'd be interesting to hear.

jsu718
05-20-2009, 08:37 PM
If your car doesn't start check the positive battery terminal. If it's got a white powder build-up pour a little coke on it, wait 5 minutes and start the car.

You know what works better? Baking soda mixed with water. Anything LESS acidic than the corrosion buildup on the terminal will get rid of it, which doesn't speak to cola being horribly acidic. Cola would also leave a sticky residue which doesn't make it an ideal device to use in such a manner.

BeFranklin
05-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Excessive cola consumption can lead to anything from mild weakness to profound muscle paralysis, doctors are warning.

This is because the drink can cause blood potassium to drop dangerously low
A heart trace revealed she had an irregular heartbeat, probably caused by her low blood potassium levels.

Once she stopped drinking so much cola, she made a full and uneventful recovery.

I gota say i knew it from the moment when i was a kid i throw up something black while i was drinking coke, this stuff is a like drug, once your drinking it you cant stop uneles the bad stuff happens to your health, and also lets not forget.

George David - Präsident CocaCola Griechenland Bilderberg.

I just suffered from a large drop in potassium a month ago, and have been in the emergency room. Cause still unknown, but I drank a lot of soda. Will look at
it.

V-rod
05-20-2009, 11:58 PM

Excessive anything always leads to problems. Even excessive water!

FindLiberty
05-21-2009, 04:09 AM
...I gota say i knew it from the moment when i was a kid i throw up something black while i was drinking...

If you cough up anything even remotely resembling your liver, it's way too late to change your diet! It was probably just a blood clot...

Give me liberty
05-21-2009, 04:13 AM
i am just saying it happened in a dream as a kid.

my dreams as a kid were always weird.

Son of Detroit
05-21-2009, 04:39 AM
I could never stop drinking pop. Although I only drink it maybe 2 times a week, I still love it.

You can have my faygo Rock & Rye when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

angelatc
05-21-2009, 05:34 AM
What's the agenda in your opinion? Get rid of colas, or soft drinks in general?

Why?

I've kind of noticed a trend in making drinks more "natural" anyway, so it'd be interesting to hear.

I don't know. Maybe they think we're all too fat to maximize production?

angelatc
05-21-2009, 05:36 AM
I just suffered from a large drop in potassium a month ago, and have been in the emergency room. Cause still unknown, but I drank a lot of soda. Will look at
it.

Drinking too much water can make your potassium drop.

Give me liberty
05-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Drinking too much water can make your potassium drop.

So now water is bad? :rolleyes:

paulitics
05-21-2009, 06:07 AM
From Wikipedia. Interesting stuff.

"Use of stimulants in formula
When launched Coca-Cola's two key ingredients were cocaine (benzoylmethyl ecgonine) and caffeine. The cocaine was derived from the coca leaf and the caffeine from kola nut, leading to the name Coca-Cola (the "K" in Kola was replaced with a "C" for marketing purposes).[23][24]

Coca — Cocaine
Pemberton called for five ounces of coca leaf per gallon of syrup, a significant dose; in 1891, Candler claimed his formula (altered extensively from Pemberton's original) contained only a tenth of this amount. Coca-Cola did once contain an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass, but in 1903 it was removed.[25] Coca-Cola still contains coca flavoring.

After 1904, instead of using fresh leaves, Coca-Cola started using "spent" leaves—the leftovers of the cocaine-extraction process with cocaine trace levels left over at a molecular level.[26] To this day, Coca-Cola uses as an ingredient a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.

In the United States, Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant.[27] Stepan laboratory in Maywood, New Jersey is the nation's only legal commercial importer of coca leaves, which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia. Besides producing the coca flavoring agent for Coca-Cola, Stepan Company extracts cocaine from the coca leaves, which it sells to Mallinckrodt, a St. Louis, Missouri pharmaceutical manufacturer that is the only company in the United States licensed to purify cocaine for medicinal use.[28] Stepan Company buys about 100 metric tons of dried Peruvian coca leaves each year, according to Marco Castillo, spokesman for Peru's state-owned National Coca Co.[29]"

Brassmouth
05-21-2009, 07:13 AM
This cola thing is just another New World Order agenda item.

Priceless.

Only on RPF.