PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Beck is Mormon - Could he be setting up...

Matt Collins
05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Glen Beck is Mormon - Could he be setting up an easy platform for Romney in the future?

Many are suspecting that Romney could be the next nominee. With Glen Beck's help it would make it that much easier, especially now that Beck has been saying more things "correct" these days.

Did Beck openly support Romney previously?

I'm just floating this idea and would like to see some discussion on it.

TER
05-19-2009, 09:15 PM
the thought has crossed my mind before...

Matt Collins
05-19-2009, 09:18 PM
the thought has crossed my mind before...
Good.... so I'm not the only one.

But what did Beck have to say about Romney previously? :confused:

silverhawks
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I know one thing, Matt. He's not setting up anything for any candidate that genuinely believes in liberty or the Constitution.

Seems to me more and more that he seems intent on stirring up violence amongst patriots, which then can be exploited by advocates of gun control and martial law, and eventually tag us as "right-wing extremists" and "domestic terrorists".

Andrew-Austin
05-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I think Glen Beck is prone to endorse any neocon who suddenly starts touting a message of limited government and free markets, Mormon or not.

He could endorse a year 2000 version of George Dubya Bush, someone who runs a campaign of rhetoric, and then completely disregards his platform once in office.

So long as we agree on this, it matters little which specific neocon he might try and set up.

Kotin
05-19-2009, 10:04 PM
totally possible..

silverhawks
05-19-2009, 10:22 PM
And remember who Romney touted as possible running mates last year?

BLUFFTON, S.C. — Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney on Thursday dropped some names of potential running mates in the 2008 race, but added such speculation is a bit premature.

Among those Romney mentioned for the second slot on the Republican ticket were three Southerners: South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich of Georgia, and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

"There's some wonderful people right here in this state, as you know, Governor Sanford being one of them," the former Massachusetts governor said to a round of applause after being asked about vice presidential picks by a member of a crowd of about 400 people gathered for his campaign stop in this early voting state.

"I have to be honest with you, I haven't given a lot of thought to that, so I don't want to put any names in that hat right now," Romney said, but also gave a nod to Bush, calling him "quite a guy."

"I love him. If his name weren't Bush, he'd be running for president, I'm convinced," said Romney, who added he also was "pretty partial" to South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint.

Talking with reporters later, Romney said the names he mentioned are part of a list of vice presidential contenders that anyone winning the GOP nomination would have to consider. "When I'm in South Carolina, I'm not going to fail to mention some of the ones that are closest," Romney said.

Romney has lagged behind former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Arizona Sen. John McCain in the polls, often with support registering in the single digits. He also trails such better-known Republicans as Gingrich and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson _ who are weighing presidential bids _ when their names are added to the mix of candidates.

dr. hfn
05-19-2009, 10:56 PM
i seriously think we should send Beck some good Liberty books with a nice letter and hope he reads them

SouthGeorgia61
05-20-2009, 01:11 AM
i seriously think we should send Beck some good Liberty books with a nice letter and hope he reads them

This

I see no purpose in fighting with Beck, as we do not know if he is or is not legitimate in his conversion to libertarianism. We just can't align ourselves with him either, until we see him support Ron Paul republicans regularly.

cindy25
05-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Romney, with Sen Rand Paul (R-KY) would be a good ticket. Romney is pragmatic, and a Mormon is far better than a religious zealot (Palin, Huck, Jindal )
and Romney had a life outside government

Elwar
05-20-2009, 06:46 AM
You spelled moron wrong.

reduen
05-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Yes....

In the past I have dealt with many Mormons, (or LDS - they like to be called this now...) in fact most of my family on my mom's side are Mormons. I will tell you that their "church" is more important to them than anything (it should be the will of God and the teachings of Jesus) and they have no problems with playing dirty, lying, or cheating as long as they think they will get the desired outcome. (All the while thinking that they know what is best for everyone..)

I think I know where Beck is coming from....

brandon
05-20-2009, 07:28 AM
I think Glen Beck is prone to endorse any neocon who suddenly starts touting a message of limited government and free markets, Mormon or not.

He could endorse a year 2000 version of George Dubya Bush, someone who runs a campaign of rhetoric, and then completely disregards his platform once in office.

So long as we agree on this, it matters little which specific neocon he might try and set up.

agreed.

this is exactly what's going to happen.

Someone should bump this thread 4 years from now.

ctiger2
05-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Romney, with Sen Rand Paul (R-KY) would be a good ticket. Romney is pragmatic, and a Mormon is far better than a religious zealot (Palin, Huck, Jindal )
and Romney had a life outside government

I think Mittens would have to check with his attorneys first...

Kraig
05-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Well nice observation Matt, I have never trusted Beck's new found libertarianism mainly because he acts like he has always been this way and doesn't admit that his rhetoric has changed drastically. It will certainly be interesting to see what he does next.

Original_Intent
05-20-2009, 09:44 AM
I am LDS and loathed Romney as a candidate. It is a shame to our state that he dominated Utah, but I know there were a lot of LDS people supporting Ron Paul.

As far as Beck - who knows, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did not try to give Romney a leg up. Bob Bennet is also running ads for the 2010 campaign with Romney endorsing him.

I'll be the first to admit, there are probably no more corrupt politics in the country than Utah politics.

Brian4Liberty
05-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Don't forget, Mitt Romney isn't the only Mormon in the race...and Huntsman has already been prepped as a more "libertarian" Republican...

Republican Governor of Utah Selected to Be Envoy to China

By Michael D. Shear and Chris Cillizza
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, May 16, 2009

Utah Gov. Jon M. Huntsman Jr. (R) will be introduced today as President Obama's choice as ambassador to China, a source familiar with the decision said last night.

Huntsman, 48, was mentioned this spring as a potential Republican contender for the White House in 2012, and Obama's former campaign manager recently suggested that he is a rising force in the GOP.

Several Salt Lake City media outlets reported last night that Huntsman had accepted the offer to head the U.S. mission in Beijing, and that Lt. Gov. Gary R. Herbert would replace him as governor. The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Huntsman was in Washington last night, but that calls to his spokeswoman and various staffers were not returned.

Huntsman was elected in November to a second term as Utah's governor, drawing 70 percent of the vote. He served in the George W. Bush administration as deputy U.S. trade representative from 2001 to 2004 and, for President George H.W. Bush, was ambassador to Singapore. He is an expert on China, and he speaks Mandarin Chinese fluently.

Huntsman has been getting informal advice from national political consultants, helping to stoke rumors that he might be positioning himself for a run at Obama in 2012.

As governor, Huntsman has built an impressive record of economic recovery and growth. He has pushed for an overhaul of the state's health-care system, and he has lobbied for his party to do more on the environment. He has also promoted in Utah, a state where Republicans dominate, the power of bipartisanship.

"Most Americans are fed up with the idea that partisanship has stood in the way of progress," Huntsman said in an interview late last year.

David Plouffe, who managed Obama's presidential campaign, told U.S. News & World Report this month that Huntsman was "the one person in that party who might be a potential presidential candidate."

Matt Collins
05-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Don't forget, Mitt Romney isn't the only Mormon in the race...and Huntsman has already been prepped as a more "libertarian" Republican...
I don't care what religion or faith they are, as long as they are Constitutionalists / limited government / libertarians.

dannno
05-20-2009, 11:44 AM
You spelled moron wrong.

Are you bashing Mormons as a Christian or as an atheist/agnostic?

Matt Collins
05-20-2009, 11:50 AM
I am LDS and loathed Romney as a candidate. It is a shame to our state that he dominated Utah, but I know there were a lot of LDS people supporting Ron Paul.Yes but even moreso Nevada. The Nevada GOP was nearly taken over by us, and Nevada had the best shot for Ron. It's sad to see how many Mormons voted via the groupthink for Romney just because they are all members of the same religion. :rolleyes:

For example I consider myself to be a Christian but I wouldn't vote for Huckabee.

dannno
05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Yes but even moreso Nevada. The Nevada GOP was nearly taken over by us, and Nevada had the best shot for Ron. It's sad to see how many Mormons voted via the groupthink for Romney just because they are all members of the same religion. :rolleyes:

For example I consider myself to be a Christian but I wouldn't vote for Huckabee.

Ya I knew quite a few Mormons who were Ron Paul supporters, but you can't really talk about politics in church, and nobody though he had a chance anyway..

It's a shame because the church could have very easily come out early on and made a statement that it is important that individuals find a candidate who has a track record of being honest, principled and knows the importance of our founding father's documents. I think something like this could have gone a long way in bringing the discussion to the individual members.

Matt Collins
05-20-2009, 12:13 PM
It's a shame because the church could have very easily come out early on and made a statement that it is important that individuals find a candidate who has a track record of being honest, principled and knows the importance of our founding father's documents. I think something like this could have gone a long way in bringing the discussion to the individual members.I'm sure the IRS prohibits this type of speech :rolleyes:

dannno
05-20-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm sure the IRS prohibits this type of speech :rolleyes:

No, I've heard them say things like that before. I think they just can't promote individual candidates or individual pieces of legislation.. but they CAN promote the ideas, which is essentially what they did with Prop 8 (the gay marriage thing...which I disagreed with them on vehemently :( however the church felt that they would get sued by gay people for not marrying them and then they'd have to shut down. At least those were the fear tactics imposed..)

Elwar
05-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Are you bashing Mormons as a Christian or as an atheist/agnostic?

I'm bashing Glenn Beck, he is a moron.

dannno
05-20-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm bashing Glenn Beck, he is a moron.

Oh ya, I should have inserted your substitution back into the title...