PDA

View Full Version : Its almost decision time

eok321
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
After reading this article and the comments

American Conservative (http://www.amconmag.com/blog/2009/05/18/what-would-a-ron-paul-2012-campaign-look-like/)

Given all the attention Paul has received since Election Day of 2008, from cable news networks to Lindsay Graham, given the fact he faces a primary challenge for re-election next year in Texas and now with his son Rand Paul poised to enter the U.S. Senate race in Kentucky, Paul faces a summer where choices will need to be made about his political future.

Where I disagree with the Political Lore article is the fact that Rep. Paul needs to start much earlier than 2011 to build a nationwide political infrastructure, especially among Republican activists. For that reason I believe he needs to decide by Labor Day this year whether he wants to run or not. If he doesn’t that will give Gary Johnson and Mark Sanford the time they need to build their own White House bids. But if he does decide to run I believe he needs to give up his House seat and run full time.

In 2010 he can camapaign for Rand or Ron Paul Republicans or Paul-like Republicans or for any kind of endorsed candidates nationwide. This will introduce him to many Republican activists and they can see for themselves that he’s worthy to carry the party’s banner for 2012. Hopefully some of those candidates will win and increase Paul’s prowess even more.

By the start of 2011, the infrastructure of a campaign should already be in place and Paul can spend the year campaigning for the nomination in the important early states he MUST win: New Hampshire, Iowa, Nevada and South Carolina along with big states like California, New Yorkand his home state of Texas. As modern primary politics goes, winning the early builds the momentum to winning the big states, especially all those on Super Tuesday.

And more importantly, by starting early and campaigning on a set of ideas gives Rep. Paul a powerful advantage in a party right now where there is a vacumn of ideas. He can also exploit what is now a gap between Obama and his more liberal supporters over the war, torture, the war crimes of the Bush Administration and civil liberties that will only grow over time as Obama’s pragamtic nature becomes evident and disappoints his more idealistic followers.
.................................................. .................................................. ..............................

It got me thinking about this

IPR (http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2008/11/ron-paul-might-run-again-in-2012-should-decide-by-mid-2009/)

“We have some time to decide whether he runs again, or whether he gets behind somebody else,” Benton said. “But we don’t have tons of time. By the middle of 2009, the decision needs to be made.”

Does anyone honestly think that Ron wont run again??

dr. hfn
05-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Dilemna:

Run multiple Liberty candidates in 2012 to increase the chances of one of our candidates getting elected and maybe split the vote too many ways in the primaries

or

Run one Liberty candidate and he will not do good, no better than Paul and there goes our only chance at winning

slacker921
05-19-2009, 08:05 PM
They all (Johnson, Sanford, Paul) need to decide soon.

awake
05-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Ron Paul for over 30 years has tirelessly made the argument for liberty and the return to reason when ever and where ever any one would listen. This man has, like his mentor Mises, a heart of a fighter.If the opportunity to once again step in front of the American people and the world presents its self again, I am hard pressed to believe Dr. Paul would turn down the opportunity. I think deep down winning is secondary - it matters much more that he reaches minds.

He lost the last race, but he gained a whole new generation of liberated minds ...

mstrmac1
05-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree. He needs to let us know if he is or is not (I hope he is) playing so we can plan for it!!

Soon.

TheTyke
05-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I reeeaaallly hope he runs again - and starts soon. I don't trust anyone else. :(

mstrmac1
05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
I reeeaaallly hope he runs again - and starts soon. I don't trust anyone else. :(

You hit it on the head ... TRUST! I also do not trust anyone else. It took me a long time to get active, until this skinny old man from Texas came along. We need to push him to run!

kathy88
05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
He also needs to find someone to fill his seat to endorse.

Flirple
05-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Ron Paul for over 30 years has tirelessly made the argument for liberty and the return to reason when ever and where ever any one would listen. This man has, like his mentor Mises, a heart of a fighter.If the opportunity to once again step in front of the American people and the world presents its self again, I am hard pressed to believe Dr. Paul would turn down the opportunity. I think deep down winning is secondary - it matters much more that he reaches minds.

He lost the last race, but he gained a whole new generation of liberated minds ...

Of course all that is true. But I think the heart of such a decision isn't about "Will he be too old?"; "Wouldn't
he rather take it easy in his golden years?" ; etc...

Rather, I think the deciding factor is the house seat. Right now it's is invaluable to us. As you said for 30 years he's been fighting this battle and only now does he actually have any influence or a bill that others are signing onto as co-sponsors. Is a presidential run worth risking that for? That's the real question.

silverhandorder
05-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Guys leave RP alone about running again. 73 is old. The office and campaign is stressful. Congressional seat allows him to exert influence and not to take the toll on him. We have several good candidates to carry the banner.

mstrmac1
05-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Guys leave RP alone about running again. 73 is old. The office and campaign is stressful. Congressional seat allows him to exert influence and not to take the toll on him. We have several good candidates to carry the banner.

So what your saying is at 73 your to old to have guts and run? I hope your not that weak!

mstrmac1
05-20-2009, 12:55 AM
BTW if he is not up for it, let us know! Thats the least he can do.

lynnf
05-20-2009, 04:24 AM
about six months ago, to my best recollection, he said that he would decide whether to run or not in the next six months, so that would truly make it about time right now!

lynn

speciallyblend
05-20-2009, 04:40 AM
the problem is not ron paul or activism. the major problem is the gop and their failed policies.

the gop is kinda like a drug addict in denial. they might need to spend their down time in a ditch before they realize we can lead them from their addiction to big government and wars and violating civil liberties!!

the gop is in denial. it might take 2-12 years before they figure out losing elections is not winning them;)

until the gop figures out that ron paul message is how they can attract voters like me! they will alienate their own voters. until the gop figures out Ron Paul and his message is the only message worth a dam in the gop. the gop can count my vote to keep them out of power.

Epic
05-20-2009, 05:38 AM
I think he should just do whatever he wants.

Also, if he's not going to run, I don't think he should announce that publicly. Because that stems a lot of optimism from his supporters, who won't do certain types of activism such as flocking to CPAC straw polls and such.

Join The Paul Side
05-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree. He needs to let us know if he is or is not (I hope he is) playing so we can plan for it!!

Soon.

Indeed. If he decides to run again and we have early notice there will be more of an impact this time around than last time. :)

Mani
05-20-2009, 10:48 AM
I'd rather have a dozen house seats converted to Ron Paul Republicans then work towards another White House bid.

The majority of Americans are too stupid to vote for Ron Paul. They just can't understand or appreciate his message. The average voter is a monkey. Monkey push button get banana. How the hell is Ron Paul going to reach an audience like that?

I'm overstating by saying the majority of America, but even 50% of Americans being too stupid to vote is too many.

I'd rather Ron Paul lead the charge in hand picking the next generation of congressmen and women.

IF we have the SAME money raised and the same campaign and awareness, but done FOR HOUSE AND SENATE seats, NOW RON PAUL HAS allies!

I think this is a better strategy. We focus on a select number of seats and we hit them with the SAME ENERGY and money we did when RP ran for President, then WE WILL WIN THOSE SEATS.

Now when Ron Paul votes 1 way, there are 12 MORE votes coming his way, and any libertarian minded politician is MUCH more likely to jump on board, when he/she sees there's already support to vote the other way!!!

Even the guys who are not true libertarians but they are conservative will be more likely to vote the "conservative" way when they see 12-20 votes popping up.

Many of these guys LIKE Ron Paul and WANT to vote like RP, but are AFRAID. You create a block of votes not just ONE RP, you REMOVE that FEAR.

Then 2 years from now we DO IT AGAIN. We focus on another group of SEATS and we TAKE THOSE OVER AS WELL.

I believe this is a much more effective use of Ron Paul's time, money, and energy. Ron Paul campaigning for a select group of seats would make a HUGE impact on getting those seats. It can't be too many because then it thins out the resources.

CUnknown
05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
We shouldn't expect that he will run. Odds seem unlikely, given that he's old. If he feels he probably won't win, he probably will stay in his House seat where he can do some good. If he feels he might actually win -- it may make him even less likely to run. Think about it. Imagine how stressful that would be. I sure as hell wouldn't want to do it. I honestly wouldn't do it even if you paid me a million dollars.

If he won, he would be assassinated, guys. If he was almost about to win, he would be slandered in the national media 24/7. He would be absolutely beaten down mentally and maybe killed. Please do not expect him to run.

He is a hero now and forever for what he's already accomplished. To run again, especially if he had a chance to win, would be beyond heroic. He would basically be sacrificing himself. Let's let him retire in peace.

Meatwasp
05-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Its better to die with the sword than the cane. Go paul go

kahless
05-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Dilemna:

Run multiple Liberty candidates in 2012 to increase the chances of one of our candidates getting elected and maybe split the vote too many ways in the primaries

or

Run one Liberty candidate and he will not do good, no better than Paul and there goes our only chance at winning

Run multiple candidates. The problem is I bet guys like Romeny will suddenly become a liberty candidate for the sake of just getting elected. It feels like the late 90s all over again. If this forum existed then there would be many posts about Bush not being a real Conservative and only spouting Conservative rhetoric for the sake of getting elected.

Although I would prefer to see RP as President the media would use his age as a major factor particularly the fact that he would be going up against a young guy like Obama.

Carole
05-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Even if Dr. Paul were to run, once word got out he would immediately disappear from the media radar where he has been very prominent lately.

Marginalizing is what they do best and we would never again see his face putting forth reason in order to discredit the insanity going on.

I think Mani in post #12 has the right idea, yet who has the stature, the trust, the commitment to liberty and the Constitution, and the record to back it up, who could possibly rally Americans as Dr. Paul does?

In some races I like the idea of running multiple candidates in the primaries in order to dilute any one opponent's votes. That is exactly what they did in the presidential race in order to dilute Dr. Paul. They got a totally reluctant Fred Thompson into the race to pull votes from Dr. Paul.

We may have to do that in some primaries, too. It is a good strategy in only some races, not all. Then, if successful at that, the conservative candidates may have to alter the strategy later.

The main point is to get as many friends into congress as possible for Dr. Paul and hopefully Dr. Rand Paul. :D

Dr. Paul will be the one to make the important decision as to whether he will run. I am sure many factors between now and then will affect whatever decision he makes.