PDA

View Full Version : U.K. Missed Chances To Stop 2005 London Attacks

Reason
05-19-2009, 01:05 PM
World
U.K. Missed Chances To Stop 2005 London Attacks
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104289131&sc=nl&cc=nh-20090519
by The Associated Press

NPR.org, May 19, 2009 · Britain's MI5 spy agency and police likely missed chances to identify the key men behind the 2005 London bombings, but could have done little more to halt the attacks given their limited resources, lawmakers said Tuesday.

A detailed report into what was known before the attacks, which killed 52 people on three subway cars and a bus, reveals how one of the bombers was tracked by intelligence officers as early as 2001. Two of the men were repeatedly spotted with other terrorists in 2004 but never properly identified, the report concludes.

The inquiry, by Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee, makes the alarming disclosure that in 2004, MI5 had poor or no surveillance of 60 percent of suspected terrorists.

Only 6 percent of suspects were adequately kept under surveillance, the lawmakers' report stated.

Jonathan Evans, head of MI5, estimates there are about 2,000 known terrorists operating in Britain. Officials estimate there are likely thousands more unknown to authorities.

Lawmakers said that to properly cover the current threat, MI5 would need "several hundred thousand officers as opposed to their current 3,500."

Despite a huge recruitment drive, MI5 still only has the manpower to "hit the crocodiles nearest the boat," Evans told lawmakers.

The report lists numerous occasions when London bombings ringleader Mohammed Siddique Khan was watched by surveillance teams, including a previously unknown occasion at a 2001 training camp in Britain.

"We cannot criticize the judgments made by MI5 and police based on the information that they had, and their priorities at the time," the report states.

dannno
05-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Why is it so difficult for people to add 2+2 together??

YouTube - BBC Radio - Drills Ran on day of london bombings 7-7-05 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEbUQiYOGjU)

Zippyjuan
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
The inquiry, by Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee, makes the alarming disclosure that in 2004, MI5 had poor or no surveillance of 60 percent of suspected terrorists.

Only 6 percent of suspects were adequately kept under surveillance, the lawmakers' report stated.

If you want government to track terror suspects more you have to expect them to track normal citizens more to be able to tell the terrorist suspects from everyday people. If you want to know all you can about bad people you also need to monitor good people to be sure they are not bad too. Increased surveilance for everybody. It is a trade off.

Lawmakers said that to properly cover the current threat, MI5 would need "several hundred thousand officers as opposed to their current 3,500."

Big Brother is needed.
Or you can say "Don't watch me" and accept the possibiliby of terrorists also going unwatched.

Alawn
05-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Missed a chance to not do the attacks they did themselves? Well yeah duh.

silverhawks
05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
So let me get this right...the Obama administration and Pelosi tosses the CIA under the bus...and now the morons in Westminster are bad-mouthing MI5?

After this, from February?

Former MI5 chief: Government exploits terror fears to restrict civil liberties (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/17/government-exploiting-terrorism-fear/print)

And this, from 2007?

Ex-MI6 boss attacks Iraq policy (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7072415.stm)

Are these guys trying to end up in a ditch or what?

Carole
05-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh my gosh. I did not know they awere running a training exercise at exactly the same time as the bombing.

Evidently that MO worked so well there that they (whoever they are) decided to use it here, too on 9-11. :(

silverhawks
05-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Oh my gosh. I did not know they awere running a training exercise at exactly the same time as the bombing.

Evidently that MO worked so well there that they (whoever they are) decided to use it here, too on 9-11. :(

The London Bombings were on 7/7/05, so it would have been the other way around.