PDA

View Full Version : California; Vote NO 1A through 1F

klamath
05-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Today is election day in California where we are asked to tax ourselves to death so state workers don't have to cut back in any way while those of us in private enterprise must tighten our belts.

Get out and Vote NO!

wgadget
05-19-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm going to call my daughter and son-in-law today...who live in CA and tell them they had BETTER get out and vote.

I heard they're expecting only a 25% turnout.

Meatwasp
05-19-2009, 07:52 AM
I already voted NO on all of them

klamath
05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm going to call my daughter and son-in-law today...who live in CA and tell they had BETTER get out and vote.

I heard they're expecting only a 25% turnout.

Thanks.

I hope that 25% isn't all the state workers:eek:

wgadget
05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks.

I hope that 25% isn't all the state workers:eek:

You've got an excellent point...I'm sure they will be out in droves.

I hope the people of CA are angry enough to actually get out and do their civic duty. Hate to let the wrong minority of voters determine things.

Brian4Liberty
05-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Count me in. No on everything.

wgadget
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Talked to my son-in-law, and he said DARN STRAIGHT he and my daughter will be voting NO today, and they've got lots of FRIENDS that will be as well.

:D

Reason
05-19-2009, 12:50 PM
have we still not come up with a reason for why we shouldn't be voting yes on 1F

bkreigh
05-19-2009, 04:23 PM
for those of us out of state what exactly does 1A through 1F say?

torchbearer
05-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Talked to my son-in-law, and he said DARN STRAIGHT he and my daughter will be voting NO today, and they've got lots of FRIENDS that will be as well.

:D

In Louisiana, the politicians who put these types of things on the ballots, often write the resolutions so long and complicated that even educated people can't understand them.
A common tactic is to write a resolution/bill in such a way that a yes vote is really a no, and a no vote is really a yes.
Do they do this in California too?

dannno
05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
I had to get a provisional ballot cause I moved and they never sent me any election materials this time around.

I voted NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Deborah K
05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
We'll be dropping off our mail-in ballots tonight. Word has it that only one initiative will pass -

Deborah K
05-19-2009, 04:42 PM
In Louisiana, the politicians who put these types of things on the ballots, often write the resolutions so long and complicated that even educated people can't understand them.
A common tactic is to write a resolution/bill in such a way that a yes vote is really a no, and a no vote is really a yes.
Do they do this in California too?

They try to, yes. Conservative talk show radio hosts(and their trusty staffs) usually do a pretty good job dissecting these things though.

Reason
05-19-2009, 05:49 PM
no one has yet been able to explain to me why I should vote no on F

H Roark
05-19-2009, 09:40 PM
no one has yet been able to explain to me why I should vote no on F

Because they either didn't look into what it was or they don't have a good reason other than to be contrarian. I voted NO on all of them except for 1F where I voted a resounding YES. If legislators can't do their job, they don't deserve a raise. Maybe they'll come to recognize how damaging inflation is once they stop seeing their salary being adjusted for it...haha yeah right. I know its petty and insignificant, but its still tax money saved.

Epic
05-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Voting yes on F means you want the legislators to raise your taxes. Cause they don't get a raise until they raise your taxes and eliminate the deficit.

0zzy
05-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Testsetsetsetsetsetsetset

testset
setsetse

Dorfsmith
05-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Looks like CA did the right thing for the most part. Who would have thought. :D (This coming from an ex CA resident).

akihabro
05-20-2009, 04:14 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/akihabro13/05-19-09_1359.jpg
No on all of it

sarahgop
05-20-2009, 04:25 AM
thats great news.

blocks
05-20-2009, 04:54 AM
Voted NO on all but 1F. The reasoning that the legislators will raise taxes to the obscene level necessary to balance the current spending just to get a pay raise...well, politically, the pros of doing so don't outweigh the cons.

ChaosControl
05-20-2009, 06:58 AM
The results look like Cali voted No on all but IF.

JaylieWoW
05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I thought that all the measures had to pass in order for any of them to pass... is that not the case? I read somewhere that all tax increases have to be put together and voted together and all must pass for any to pass. If that is the case then wouldn't all the YES votes for the legislature pay thing be nullified? I'd be screaming bloody murder if I were a citizen (if the above is true) because it would seem to me the pols just got one over on everyone.

(I have not however read the actual bills, just remember reading something all have to pass or none pass).

Brian4Liberty
05-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Voted NO on all but 1F. The reasoning that the legislators will raise taxes to the obscene level necessary to balance the current spending just to get a pay raise...well, politically, the pros of doing so don't outweigh the cons.

The text of 1F talked about the effective date of salary increases. That leads me to believe that they would still get the raises the next year (previous year raise + current year raise). I wouldn't be surprised if they did it retroactively (i.e. pay them a lump sum for that previous year).

Anyway, no big difference either way...