PDA

View Full Version : Car computer may prevent speeding in the near future

disorderlyvision
05-18-2009, 09:44 PM
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2009/05/18/can%E2%80%99t-stop-speeding-a-computer-in-your-car-may-do-it-for-you/

In short the computer will automatically slow the car down when you exceed the speed limit. i wonder how many deaths this would cause on two lane highways for cars trying to pass another vehicle.

From Discover Magazine:

Is there anything that will make people stop speeding for good? Transport of London has come up with a new technology that they hope will do the trick—both to stop speeding and reduce accidents. It’s called Intelligent Speed Adaptation, and it’s a program installed in cars as a kind of auto big brother: If the car is going too fast, the computer will automatically reduce the speed.

This summer, a total of twenty vehicles, including cars, buses, and cabs, will be testing the new software. Each vehicle will receive a monitor that displays a digital map of the city, corresponding speed limits, and a GPS system, so the program can calculate how fast the car should be going based on its real-time location.

Don’t freak out about a loss of driving freedom just yet — the program has several settings that let the driver control how much leeway it has. In “advisory mode,” the driver, once alerted that he or she is speeding, can voluntarily slow down. The monitor will display an emoticon to express how the driver is doing: A happy face shows up when the car is below the speed limit, and a frown appears if the driver is still going too fast.

Meanwhile in “voluntary mode,” the car automatically slows down when the program spots above-speed-limit speeds. And in case of an emergency, the driver can hit a button to override the program.

In theory, the concept seems to make sense, but can it really ever replace the reliable radar system already in place? And—understandably—irate drivers are already complaining that it will take away their freedom on the road.

tangent4ronpaul
05-19-2009, 08:04 AM
What are they thinking?

Speed limits have very little to do with safety and EVERYTHING to do with revenue generation!

-t

Kraig
05-19-2009, 08:09 AM
What are they thinking?

Speed limits have very little to do with safety and EVERYTHING to do with revenue generation!

-t

lol well if these actually work they will kill the revenue so they probably won't last long

GBurr
05-19-2009, 08:46 AM
So let me get this straight. I can hit and override the system if I want? Why should I ever use the system?

brandon
05-19-2009, 08:48 AM
lol well if these actually work they will kill the revenue so they probably won't last long

Yep, but they won't work. Whatever they do will be easily hackable. Just think, Apple can't even prevent their multi-billion dollar product (iphone) from being jailbroken. No way something the government's involved with will be any more secure than that.

Maybe Ralph Nader will spend 2012 lobbying the government to make these computers mandatory instead of running for president again. ;)

Krugerrand
05-19-2009, 08:58 AM
What are they thinking?

-t

So true. Many limited access turnpikes (get a ticket on entry) could easily eliminate speeding by tacking a speeding-fee onto any toll charged when the driver exists too soon. Instant no-speeding fix.

Of course, the problem would be that people then wouldn't speed and that would be a huge loss of revenue.

hugolp
05-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I hope a computer never ever controls the speed of my car. Computer programs have bugs, they fail. I dont want a computer program controlling the speed of my car. Period. The day they try to implement that I will hack my car.

acptulsa
05-19-2009, 09:22 AM
"The monitor will display an emoticon to express how the driver is doing: A happy face shows up when the car is below the speed limit, and a frown appears if the driver is still going too fast."

A backseat driver in the dashboard.

Ever get the feeling that technology has progressed too far? Talk about modern inconveniences!

TonySutton
05-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Honestly I would love to have a car that drives itself so that I can sit back and enjoy the ride, surf the internet or have a drink :)

FindLiberty
05-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Just think, now they'll put a chip in you car to control your driving habits, specifically to slow the car down or stop it if pursued by police. Cars have no rights and can't say no; probably an agreement in the automaker bailout deal.

Perfect storm:

They've been itching to put a chip into our bodies (not to prevent ID theft, but really to track our every move) and the gubermint goons have had a recent brain fart involving a remote (and/or time) activated poison payload in that implanted RFID chip to prevent "foreign visitors" from overstaying their permitted time within the usa (or to stop 'em from disappearing into the woodwork).

It's all necessary, of course, to protect us for turrorwrists! Gotta' do it for the children!

I can imagine a tyrant's thrill here: have all babies implanted at birth; the twitchy anticipation of pressing that "kill button" to put an end to the next mass protest, or to suppress a tax revolt! No need for a retirement plan, senior healthcare or social security; all useless eaters and malcontents just get the button! You're either with us, or you're toast!

Do you think a variable Lorazepam (benzodiazepine) dose that can be used to just slow you down or stop you, just like you car, (i.e., stepped up to lethal as required, of course), would be more acceptable than the single, one-time fatal poison dose (delivered by the RFID chip implant)? Maybe we need a special vote to make this choice more acceptable to the sheeple. This is a democracy after all, so you get to choose your poison! (if you say the word republic, they'll press your kill button in a heartbeat).

Doctor Horrible just needs to build a digital code transmitter to set those things off, no fancy Freeze-Ray device or scarce "Wondefulonium" required...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/50/Doctor_Horrible_Banner.jpg/250px-

Agent CSL
05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
I was thinking of all the things that could go wrong, and the most obvious is that if you are trying to pass or speed up to avoid an accident, your car is going to stop you and you'll careen head-first into another car.

It's going to cause more accidents.

ozark
05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
And just how would the computer know what the speed limit is. Many vehicles have governors that will only allow a top speed. But how will it know you are in a school zone, or that it's Sunday and that zone is not enforceable.

Way too many police dept make there pay raises from the tickets to come up with a "foolproof fix" for speeding.

LATruth
05-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Honestly I would love to have a car that drives itself so that I can sit back and enjoy the ride, surf the internet or have a drink :)

And take you directly to the internment camp when the time comes, eliminating the train and paddy-wagon all together therefor reducing governments costs associated with our enslavement.

Or have autopilot take over and run you into a brick wall at 100+ MPH because you run an opposition website that is gaining support.

This is wonderful, where can I get one...

dannno
05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
What are they thinking?

-t

According to the article, this statement makes you an irate driver :p

acptulsa
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
If you drive in America without ever getting irate, you have no clue what you're doing. Driver education was destroyed by the insurance lobby; if you want what, for instance, Germany considers the basic fundamentals of driving you have to go to someone like Bondurant. You will not learn, for example, the physics you need to know to drive very well in a U.S. high school under any circumstances. You wonder why America insists all cars be filled with air bags like a rubber room for crazy people, rest assured--it's all the insurance lobby's program to make driving in America idiot proof. You're supposed to have accidents, you're just supposed to live long enough to pay higher premiums as a result...

LATruth
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
If you drive in America without ever getting irate, you have no clue what you're doing. Driver education was destroyed by the insurance lobby; if you want what, for instance, Germany considers the basic fundamentals of driving you have to go to someone like Bondurant. You will not learn, for example, the physics you need to know to drive very well in a U.S. high school under any circumstances. You wonder why America insists all cars be filled with air bags like a rubber room for crazy people, rest assured--it's all the insurance lobby's program to make driving in America idiot proof. You're supposed to have accidents, you're just supposed to live long enough to pay higher premiums as a result...

So when cars do become automatic, which I believe they will at some point, are we to be rid of insurance due to the liability of accidents no longer being on our shoulders?

Original_Intent
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
And just how would the computer know what the speed limit is. Many vehicles have governors that will only allow a top speed. But how will it know you are in a school zone, or that it's Sunday and that zone is not enforceable.

Way too many police dept make there pay raises from the tickets to come up with a "foolproof fix" for speeding.

The article said that it would use a GPS system to determine what speed zone it was in. All they need to do is add a printer and wifi so when you exceed the speed limit it can print you a ticket and send a message to police HQ to update their computers that you received a speeding ticket. That will keep the revenue flowing.

TastyWheat
05-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Why would they bother with this when they could just install a system so your car reports you every time you exceed the speed limit?

andrewh817
05-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Something tells me the government wants people to speed..... otherwise they'd have pushed for maximum speeds of 75 MPH in every car that was built.

phill4paul
05-19-2009, 02:52 PM
All this and more is coming to the right to freely travel. The governments of every state have strong-armed the citizens into believing that the right to freely travel is a privilege. Then the governors of those states created reciprocity agreements to obtain federal monies for highway funds and law-enforcement.

With the exception of firearm legislation this has the single largest influence on controlling the public. The federal governments strong arm of the states governors has allowed for the control of the means to freely travel. The loss of the right to freely travel inhibits the revolutions ability to freely assemble, coordinate or re-supply.

Because we allow driving to be considered a privilege by the government we can be tracked, taxed, ticketed and targeted.

Until I can get 100,000 freedom loving patriots to chuck the drivers license and tags and have a "Convoy", ala the Kris Kristopherson movie, from coast to coast we'll just have to suck it up.

apropos
05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Many car engines have had regulators for a long time....often to keep cars from going over 120mph, as I understand it.

virgil47
05-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Just think, now they'll put a chip in you car to control your driving habits, specifically to slow the car down or stop it if pursued by police. Cars have no rights and can't say no; probably an agreement in the automaker bailout deal.

Perfect storm:

They've been itching to put a chip into our bodies (not to prevent ID theft, but really to track our every move) and the gubermint goons have had a recent brain fart involving a remote (and/or time) activated poison payload in that implanted RFID chip to prevent "foreign visitors" from overstaying their permitted time within the usa (or to stop 'em from disappearing into the woodwork).

The chip in question was not developed by anyone in the USA. It was developed by a Saudi individual and he attempted to patent it in Germany. Germany refused to patent it and the attempt made it's way into the media recently. The chip was intended to be used in Saudi Arabia to keep track of and control dissidents although I'm sure there are those in our own government that began salivating at the thought of having this chip at their disposal.

It's all necessary, of course, to protect us for turrorwrists! Gotta' do it for the children!

I can imagine a tyrant's thrill here: have all babies implanted at birth; the twitchy anticipation of pressing that "kill button" to put an end to the next mass protest, or to suppress a tax revolt! No need for a retirement plan, senior healthcare or social security; all useless eaters and malcontents just get the button! You're either with us, or you're toast!

Do you think a variable Lorazepam (benzodiazepine) dose that can be used to just slow you down or stop you, just like you car, (i.e., stepped up to lethal as required, of course), would be more acceptable than the single, one-time fatal poison dose (delivered by the RFID chip implant)? Maybe we need a special vote to make this choice more acceptable to the sheeple. This is a democracy after all, so you get to choose your poison! (if you say the word republic, they'll press your kill button in a heartbeat).

Doctor Horrible just needs to build a digital code transmitter to set those things off, no fancy Freeze-Ray device or scarce "Wondefulonium" required...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/50/Doctor_Horrible_Banner.jpg/250px-

It would be nice to see a law enacted that anyone elected to public office had to have one implanted for the duration of his or her term. This is very likely the only way the public could ensure that elected officials followed the Constitution.

sailor
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
And take you directly to the internment camp when the time comes, eliminating the train and paddy-wagon all together therefor reducing governments costs associated with our enslavement.

Or have autopilot take over and run you into a brick wall at 100+ MPH because you run an opposition website that is gaining support.

This is wonderful, where can I get one...

LOL, just what I was thinking.

andrewh817
05-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Many car engines have had regulators for a long time....often to keep cars from going over 120mph, as I understand it.

That's not the point..........the government has enough to power to stop cars from being made that can exceed the speed limit.

Time for Change
05-24-2009, 08:25 PM
this will be fun.
We simply modify the beacons that announce the speed to the car, telling the car that the speed limit is zero. :eek:
A few instances of this and the program is shut down...muuwaaaahahahaahaa :D

idiom
05-24-2009, 09:19 PM
With private roads they don't need any of this. They can far more accurately track your location and speed for "Toll" purposes.

Then they can get their 'tolls' lower than their competitors by levying heftier speeding fines.

With public roads they have to really work at it to make them intrusive.