PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul gives race for Senate more kick

spotics
05-18-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090518/COLUMNISTS21/905180324&s=d&page=1#pluckcomments

When U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning said a couple of weeks ago that the Republican Party has traditionally been the party of the "big tent" and still is, little did he know how big the tent would soon become in his party's Senate primary.

Enter Rand Paul -- the son of U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, the quirky former Libertarian from Texas -- who threatens to turn the 2010 Senate race in Kentucky on its ear with an influx of national money from voters who have little use for Washington.

Paul's father, who is now a Republican, refused to drop out of the 2008 presidential race until the Republican convention despite the fact that Sen. John McCain had long before won the delegates he needed.

Ron Paul stands for getting the United States back on the gold standard, doing away with the Federal Reserve, legalizing drugs and rolling back the Patriot Act, which gave the federal government broadened powers to spy on U.S. citizens.

At first glance, it seemed a bit odd that Rand Paul, a 46-year-old ophthalmologist from Bowling Green, would choose to announce his exploratory committee on Rachel Maddow's show on the left-leaning MSNBC cable news network.

But then again, as one Republican political operative in Washington told me, "He might be so far right that he's left."

Rand Paul takes traditional Republican positions for lower taxes and against bailouts. But he also has taken a handful of positions held by some of the more liberal members of Congress, including his opposition to the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act.

Like his father, he also opposes U.S. membership in the United Nations. We'll certainly find out during the course of a campaign whether he agrees with other controversial positions of his father.

It is, after all, Ron Paul's rabid supporters that Rand Paul hopes to tap for campaign contributions that could help him change the landscape of the 2010 Senate race.

Rand Paul has said he doesn't plan to enter the race if Bunning runs for re-election. But he's convinced that, despite Bunning's pronouncements he will seek a third term, the senator from Northern Kentucky plans to drop out and back Secretary of State Trey Grayson.

Paul is still a long shot because he's little known and has never run for public office. But the national money he could bring to the table in a primary could potentially level the playing field.

Consider this: His father raised $35 million for his losing presidential campaign.

Political scientist Larry Sabato, who heads the University of Virginia's Center for Politics, said many of Ron Paul's supporters will help Rand Paul.

"Look, the Paulites are intense," Sabato said. "… My guess is that his father will help him, and those followers can mean a lot in a primary."

If he's right, it will be up to Kentucky Republicans to decide if Paul is too far right or too far left for their liking.

Joseph Gerth can be reached at (502) 582-4702 or at jgerth@courier-journal.com.

gls
05-18-2009, 01:57 PM
If he's right, it will be up to Kentucky Republicans to decide if Paul is too far right or too far left for their liking.

Wow, talk about being stuck in a false paradigm. It is a sad reflection on how far gone we are when hardly anyone knows what to make of someone who stands for constitutionally limited government on all issues.

Matt Collins
05-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Nice hit piece!

Bias often?

Matt Collins
05-18-2009, 04:33 PM
The author responded to me:

"What did you find so offensive?"

dr. hfn
05-18-2009, 04:56 PM
stupid idiots have no idea what freedom is even when it hits them in the face!

ladyjade3
05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
We're intense! I like it.

torchbearer
05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Here are some offensive and editorialized segments of what should be an objective news piece:

1. the quirky former Libertarian from Texas

2. refused to drop out of the 2008 presidential race until the Republican convention (Ron Paul dropped out of the race after the primary election)

3. But then again, as one Republican political operative in Washington told me, "He might be so far right that he's left." (unnamed sources are not professional and shouldn't be used in objective news pieces)

4. Ron Paul's rabid supporters

5. Paul is still a long shot (unsupported claim)

georgiaboy
05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Wow, talk about being stuck in a false paradigm. It is a sad reflection on how far gone we are when hardly anyone knows what to make of someone who stands for constitutionally limited government on all issues.

these.

"...and those followers can mean a lot in a primary."

little does he know what our forces can marshall. :D

Uriel999
05-18-2009, 05:20 PM
I won't bother to give that place more traffic. Neocon shill. It is a good thing they are a dying breed.

Matt Collins
05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
I SAID:
"Your negative language towards both Ron and Rand Paul, not to mention your choosing to highlight specific issues that present them in a bad light. It's obvious you have a bias against them."

HE REPLIED WITH:
"Matt, I'm not certain what negative language you're talking about, but the issues you are talking about are the ones that separate them from mainstream republicans and the reason they have the support they have. Those issues are keys to their political lives."

brandon
05-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Completely putting aside any bias myself or the author might have, that was written really terribly.

It looks like something an average high school student would write for their journalism class.

Epic
05-19-2009, 04:21 AM
re: the gold standard, as I understand it, RP doesn't want a government-sponsored gold standard so much as just legalized competition (i.e. removal of legal tender laws, regulations, etc.)

The article was factually incorrect in that manner, yes?

nayjevin
05-19-2009, 05:33 AM
When U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning said a couple of weeks ago

Too lazy to quote or pinpoint a date. How do these people keep their jobs? Oh ya, because they know how to write what the higher ups want America to believe.

Aratus
05-20-2009, 07:06 AM
I SAID:
"Your negative language towards both Ron and Rand Paul, not to mention your choosing to highlight specific issues that present them in a bad light. It's obvious you have a bias against them."

HE REPLIED WITH:
"Matt, I'm not certain what negative language you're talking about, but the issues you are talking about are the ones that separate them from mainstream republicans and the reason they have the support they have. Those issues are keys to their political lives."

folks, the article runs on a HENRY LUCE logic. you are supposed to be pleased
the article was written, even though the writer's mindframes are contemporary to
the auld magnus opus movie by Orson Welles that is known to us as "CITIZEN KANE"...

Aratus
05-20-2009, 07:10 AM

matt collins, do accuse him of being fast and "LUCE" with the truth,
namely that he's a pure snarky and snide journal~ese trained
'for instance' of unvarnished 1940s Time Magazine LUCE~SPEAK!
:D point out how glibly smug he is elitely & effetely sounding!!!

Aratus
05-20-2009, 07:13 AM
the dude knows what he done said! lets call him on it!
journalism as a profession bows to linguistics often!!!
the dude knew how to wordsmith and code word it all...

Matt Collins
05-20-2009, 08:36 AM
the dude knows what he done said! lets call him on it!Yes, I have gone back and forth with him, but I am hesitant to rip into him. He is a journalist in KY so it would be nice to have him on our side.

angelatc
05-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Enter Rand Paul -- the son of U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, the quirky former Libertarian from Texas -- who threatens to turn the 2010 Senate race in Kentucky on its ear with
an influx of national money from voters who have little use for Washington.

Damned straight!

angelatc
05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
I SAID:

HE REPLIED WITH:

"Too far right" or "Too far left" - why not "a simple constitutionalist?"

Jordan
05-20-2010, 10:46 PM

danda
05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
and rabid apparently.