PDA

View Full Version : Backlash against TSA "full body scanners" starting

Anti Federalist
05-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Airport security bares all, or does it?

By Jessica Ravitz
CNN

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Privacy advocates plan to call on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to suspend use of "whole-body imaging," the airport security technology that critics say performs "a virtual strip search" and produces "naked" pictures of passengers, CNN has learned.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/TRAVEL/05/18/airport.security.body.scans/body.imaging.xray.back.cnn.jpg

A TSA employee, shown from the back, as he stands in an airport whole-body imaging machine.

The national campaign, which will gather signatures from organizations and relevant professionals, is set to launch this week with the hope that it will go "viral," said Lillie Coney, associate director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, which plans to lead the charge.

"People need to know what's happening, with no sugar-coating and no spinning," said Coney, who is also coordinator of the Privacy Coalition, a conglomerate of 42 member organizations. She expects other groups to sign on in the push for the technology's suspension until privacy safeguards are in place.

Read the rest here... (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/05/18/airport.security.body.scans/index.html)

diggronpaul
05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Are these scanners actually in-place in domestic airports? I've not seen them yet?

Anyway, you don't have to go through them. You can always opt for a hand-wand. It's the traveler's choice, no matter what any TSA employee says.

I had some TSA bimbo try to tell me that if I didn't go through their stupid puffer-scanner that I'd have to have all my bags searched and that it would be a big deal. I stood my ground, as I knew she was full of shit, and the other TSA employees quietly apologized to me, did a quick hand-wand, and I was off.

They got no power, just big barks.

Matt Collins
05-18-2009, 11:37 AM
ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Privacy advocates plan to call on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to suspend use of "whole-body imaging," the airport security technology that critics say performs "a virtual strip search" and produces "naked" pictures of passengers, CNN has learned.

Yeah, CNN is based in Atlanta, their hometown. Glad to see that this is going to start to make them mad, maybe their staff will raise awareness about it through their news reports.

Carole
05-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Draconian and just the first step. Full disclosure will reveal there is much more to come.

England already has this also.

Frankly, I think all searching should be halted as an invasion to privacy and a warrant should be required to search anyone.