PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota joins MT, TX, and Alaska, introduces Firearms Freedom Act

Anti Federalist
05-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Firearms Freedom Act Introduced in Minnesota
Posted on 15 May 2009

From the Press Release:

On May 7th, State Representative Tom Emmer [R-Delano] introduced the “Firearms Freedom Act,” legislation that will protect firearm owners and manufacturers in Minnesota from federal government restrictions on the lawful exercise of Second Amendment rights.

“For far too long elected officials and unelected bureaucrats at the federal level have passively forgotten or actively neglected the Tenth Amendment that guarantees rights not enumerated in the Constitution be left to the individual states,” said Rep. Emmer. “The willful disregard of the Tenth Amendment in relation to a citizen’s right to bear arms isn’t the only constitutional infringement that we should be worried about, but it is one that has been singled out by the new administration.”

The bill would exempt any personal firearm, firearm accessory or ammunition that is manufactured commercially or privately in Minnesota and that remains within the boundaries of the state from federal law or regulation; including registration.

“The federal government shouldn’t be keeping track of citizens that are lawfully exercising their Second Amendment rights,” said Rep. Emmer. “Now, more than ever, citizens need be vigilant when it comes to protecting their individual liberties.”

http://www.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2009/05/15/firearms-freedom-act-introduced-in-minnesota/

Dr.3D
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
We can hope the rest of the states follow suit.

akihabro
05-18-2009, 09:36 AM
We can hope the rest of the states follow suit.
Hope and pray to every god known to man to save commiefornia. At least these recent and ridiculous gun or ammo restrictions haven't been going too far.

I Am Weasel
05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Hope Kansas gets on board as well

KenInMontiMN
05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
I was lukewarm on Mr. Emmer a year ago but he just keeps impressing me more and more, something I give very grudgingly to an attorney-politician. So that's saying quite a bit. He's pushing to end implied consent here also, and taking some flak because he has a 20 year old dui on record, which makes the effort the more admirable in my opinion. The Emmer brothers in our county GOP unit weren't necessarily Paul people but they've really come around to the message, and even prior to the election treated us very much fair and square, coming to our defense when the congressional district and state conventions tried to disenfranchise us from the process.

Tom's problem right now is that the GOP is presently at a very low ebb in the statehouse, something we need to change in 2010. Can't change it much locally, because we already are solid GOP locally. But I'll be focusing on the Sherburne-Mille Lacs county districts to the north, where we can unseat some new democrats who rode in on Obama's coattails last fall in otherwise generally conservative districts.

risk_reward
05-18-2009, 07:55 PM

risk_reward
05-18-2009, 07:57 PM
There is no way that this would even get a hearing in Minnesota. This is posturing by Emmer to get our support. His voting record shows he supports Real ID.

It appears to me that certain members of the liberty movement have been positioning him to take a leadership role in the MN GOP, even though he is not significantly different than current leadership.

Michael Landon
05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm sure this will go nowhere but I'm hopeful that it passes.

- ML

South Park Fan
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Good sign of the turning tides.

KenInMontiMN
05-19-2009, 08:57 AM
There is no way that this would even get a hearing in Minnesota. This is posturing by Emmer to get our support. His voting record shows he supports Real ID.

It appears to me that certain members of the liberty movement have been positioning him to take a leadership role in the MN GOP, even though he is not significantly different than current leadership.

You are correct that Tom first voted against the prohibition against real ID on 5/13/08:
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/votes/votes.asp?ls_year=85&session_number=0&year=2007&id=1459
As I said earlier, we've seen a lot of movement since, and I think the next time Real ID rears its head Tom will be voting on the right side of the issue. But only time will tell on that.

And needless to say an attorney in elected office is always grounds for reasonable suspicion of big-govt authoritarian tendencies- so it goes without saying that I do keep a sharp eye on his votes.

Mesogen
05-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Wow. In a "blue" state no less.