PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee speeders could get fingerprinted

disorderlyvision
05-17-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=87814&catid=2

By Nicole Young, The Tennessean

Motorists stopped for traffic violations in Tennessee could be fingerprinted if state lawmakers approve a bill pending in the legislature.

Currently, when drivers are cited during traffic stops, police officers ask for the driver's signature on the ticket, but the proposed bill would allow police departments to eliminate signatures and collect fingerprints.

Supporters say collecting fingerprints would save money and help police determine whether the driver is wanted for a criminal offense, but opponents worry that it allows the government to tread on individual privacy rights.

"The way I see it, if they take your fingerprint, they have access to your history and that's an invasion of privacy," said Martha Simms, 27, a mother of two who recently got a speeding ticket in Davidson County.

State Sen. Joe Haynes and State Rep. Mike Stewart co-sponsored the bill, which gives police departments the choice of collecting a signature or a fingerprint, or collecting a signature and a fingerprint. The bill has been approved by the state House of Representatives, and senators will vote on the measure Wednesday.

The bill, if passed, will take effect on July 1. At that time, any police department within the state could require fingerprinting as a means of identification, said Haynes, a Goodlettsville Democrat. "It's their discretion," he said.

Legislator is skeptical

"As long as the police department is ensuring that it will not create a database using the fingerprints collected on traffic citations and that those fingerprints will be used only to identify the person being stopped and for no other purposes," Weinberg said, "then the police department appears to be using the technology appropriately."

But Rep. Stacey Campfield, a Knoxville Republican, is skeptical and takes issue with the legislation. "If someone said this 15 to 20 years ago, people would be rioting about it. Now it just seems like a lot of people are giving up and giving away their freedoms," Campfield said. "It's scary. I really think that these fingerprints will be used to create a database eventually, if not right away. If you don't think it is, then you're just kidding yourself."

If the bill passes, Tennessee would join other states and cities that have adopted fingerprinting for traffic citations.

The police department in Green Bay, Wis., has been fingerprinting traffic offenders for two years, said Lt. Mark Hellman. Some citizens were concerned at first, he said.

"I think they saw that it wasn't that big of deal, and that the ones who were most worried about it were likely the ones who were doing something wrong," Hellmann said. "What they didn't understand was that a routine traffic stop on the street is an arrest, technically, even if you aren't taken into physical custody, and during an arrest, you are fingerprinted."

Police in Phoenix have been collecting fingerprints since 1995, using them to prevent identity theft and to identify immigrants who are in the country illegally.

Matt Collins
05-18-2009, 12:41 PM
I wish they had given a bill number grrrr

gls
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
"I think they saw that it wasn't that big of deal, and that the ones who were most worried about it were likely the ones who were doing something wrong," Hellmann said.

Same ole' BS they've been using to infringe on our rights for years.

"What they didn't understand was that a routine traffic stop on the street is an arrest, technically, even if you aren't taken into physical custody, and during an arrest, you are fingerprinted."

Uhhh...what? A traffic stop is "technically" an arrest? Does that mean a ticket is invalid if the cop doesn't read the "suspect" his or her Miranda Rights?

No need to worry, just as long as you're not doing something "wrong" (in the eye's of one of history's most evil institutions - the US government - that is).

Matt Collins
05-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Uhhh...what? A traffic stop is "technically" an arrest? Does that mean a ticket is invalid if the cop doesn't read the "suspect" his or her Miranda Rights?
Very good point. If you watch Barry Cooper's "Never Get Busted" video, he addresses this.

invisible
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Tennessee would join other states and cities that have adopted fingerprinting for traffic citations

So what are these other states and cities? Anyone have a list? I want to make sure that I never go to these places, even if I have to drive out of my way to avoid them.

disorderlyvision
05-18-2009, 08:05 PM
"Police in Phoenix have been collecting fingerprints since 1995, using them to prevent identity theft and to identify immigrants who are in the country illegally."

Phoenix is one, not sure who all else does it I would be interested in knowing as well.

Matt Collins
05-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I think the article mentioned Wisconsin does it!

akihabro
05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Supporters say collecting fingerprints would save money how?and help police determine whether the driver is wanted for a criminal offenseThat's already done, they check your record with your driver's license.
"I think they saw that it wasn't that big of deal, and that the ones who were most worried about it were likely the ones who were doing something wrong,"That's a bunch of liberal crap! We can't question a motive and be innocent?

akihabro
05-18-2009, 11:04 PM
"Police in Phoenix have been collecting fingerprints since 1995, using them to prevent identity theft and to identify immigrants who are in the country illegally."

Phoenix is one, not sure who all else does it I would be interested in knowing as well.

Yah I bet California takes their prints and makes sure the next time they are caught they won't be charged with anything! I heard the courts are pretty backed up with immigration cases.
This post seems like it should go in the civil liberties section.