PDA

View Full Version : The running of the urinals

tangent4ronpaul
05-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Seems there is a tradition down at the Kentucky derby - the running of the urinals. They used to have a BYOB policy and people would get really drunk and run across the tops of the porta-potties while other people would through beers at them. (Ain't America great!). well, the jockey association thought this was too rowdy so banned the BYOB policy. Oh, you can still get beer and get drunk and even through said bought beer at people running across urinals - at $5 a pop with proceeds paid to them, you just can't enjoy your own at 50 cents a pop beer any more. In the interest of public safety, of course... Sounds like something Congress would do.

:rolleyes:

-t

Matt Collins
05-16-2009, 10:34 AM
I know a friend who would wait for someone to go into the port-o-john, and then take a rock and drop it down the vent shaft. When the rock hit the pool of liquid at the bottom it would make a HUGE splash ha ha ha. This is the same guy who would also put black racer snakes down there too when people he didn't like were in the john.

nate895
05-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I know a friend who would wait for someone to go into the port-o-john, and then take a rock and drop it down the vent shaft. When the rock hit the pool of liquid at the bottom it would make a HUGE splash ha ha ha. This is the same guy who would also put black racer snakes down there too when people he didn't like were in the john.

Your friend is a class-A jackass. That just isn't funny.

phill4paul
05-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Seems there is a tradition down at the Kentucky derby - the running of the urinals. They used to have a BYOB policy and people would get really drunk and run across the tops of the porta-potties while other people would through beers at them. (Ain't America great!). well, the jockey association thought this was too rowdy so banned the BYOB policy. Oh, you can still get beer and get drunk and even through said bought beer at people running across urinals - at $5 a pop with proceeds paid to them, you just can't enjoy your own at 50 cents a pop beer any more. In the interest of public safety, of course... Sounds like something Congress would do.

:rolleyes:

-t

Isn't that the place where they had the National Guard brought in for crowd control and security. If it is, no thanks. Encounters with the N.G. can turn nasty I have heard.

Kludge
05-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Don't use public restrooms. Guh.... Horrifying. I go eight hours (or more) a day without urinating/defecating while in school.

Are congressmen allowed to bring alcohol into the chambers??? That'd be interesting...

Danke
05-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Don't use public restrooms. Guh.... Horrifying.

You should try standing up instead of squatting. Not so bad.

Kludge
05-16-2009, 11:15 AM
You should try standing up instead of squatting. Not so bad.

Smell, odd substances on the floor near the urinals, wondering if I'm even cleaning my hands given the condition of the sink and non-clear water, thinking about how many people I've watched not even wash their hands and then trying to figure out how to open the door out without touching it.

Oh -- and knowing that people smeared their shit on the walls of the bathroom less than a year ago doesn't help.

LATruth
05-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Why not just tip it over on the door. :D

heavenlyboy34
05-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Don't use public restrooms. Guh.... Horrifying. I go eight hours (or more) a day without urinating/defecating while in school.

Are congressmen allowed to bring alcohol into the chambers??? That'd be interesting...

That explains a lot about you! :eek:;)

Kludge
05-16-2009, 11:19 AM
That explains a lot about you! :eek:;)

Well, the walk home can be excruciatingly painful, but I think it builds character.

Danke
05-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Smell, odd substances on the floor near the urinals, wondering if I'm even cleaning my hands given the condition of the sink and non-clear water, thinking about how many people I've watched not even wash their hands and then trying to figure out how to open the door out without touching it.

Oh -- and knowing that people smeared their shit on the walls of the bathroom less than a year ago doesn't help.

http://timstvshowcase.com/monk3.jpg

http://www.celestecorp.com/images/FSani-Com.jpg[

heavenlyboy34
05-16-2009, 11:25 AM

Perhaps you could bring sanitary wipes to clean your hands. ;):o

Matt Collins
05-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Your friend is a class-A jackass. That just isn't funny.I agree. That's why he is my friend. I sure don't want him as my enemy! :p

Matt Collins
05-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Don't use public restrooms. Guh.... Horrifying. I go eight hours (or more) a day without urinating/defecating while in school.Uhh... becoming an Eagle Scout pretty much broke me of that fear. Now I just don't care. :cool:

Matt Collins
05-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Well, the walk home can be excruciatingly painful, but I think it builds character.HA HA HA HA!

That's hilarious. :D:D:D:D:D

LATruth
05-16-2009, 11:29 AM
When you dry your hands hold on to the paper towel and open the door with it, throw it away outside the restroom. Thats what I do. :cool:

Kludge
05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
When you dry your hands hold on to the paper towel and open the door with it, throw it away outside the restroom. Thats what I do. :cool:

No paper towels. Our school is "green".

phill4paul
05-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, the walk home can be excruciatingly painful, but I think it builds character.
Kludge without a doubt you are an interesting cat and given the free time and means I have know doubt it would be a hoot to hang out with you.:)

heavenlyboy34
05-16-2009, 11:35 AM
No paper towels. Our school is "green".

unless you have some unique immune deficiency, I think you'll be OK. I made it through the government school system from the mid-80s to 2000: when sanitation standards were lower than they are now. If you survive, your immune system will probably be stronger for having fought off so many disgusting diseases. :cool:

asimplegirl
05-16-2009, 11:48 AM
You actually are better of using the paper towels...the heat just spreads germs i the bathroom, and they end up right on you just cleaned hands, creating a perfect storm of nastiness.

Kludge, I am with ya...public restrooms are gross. Actually, my first word was "ucky". and I have a story about port a potties that will make a grown man gag. LOL.

heavenlyboy34
05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
You actually are better of using the paper towels...the heat just spreads germs i the bathroom, and they end up right on you just cleaned hands, creating a perfect storm of nastiness.

Kludge, I am with ya...public restrooms are gross. Actually, my first word was "ucky". and I have a story about port a potties that will make a grown man gag. LOL.

R u sure? I thought that germs bred more easily on stacks of used paper towels. :confused: ~confuzzled~

tangent4ronpaul
05-16-2009, 11:51 AM

Having visions of Pelosi, Clinton and Feinstein streaking over the congressional podium... now that would be a good youtube... then again, it would probably make me vomit!

lol!

-t

ps: to all of you folks that just ate lunch - my sincere apologies :eek:!

nate895
05-16-2009, 11:59 AM

At my school, they had to shut down the men's restroom all the time in one of the wings I had class in because someone smeared their shit on the wall on a regular basis. This apparently happened several years before as well. What was weird is that is wasn't in the same wing as special ed, nor was it the drug bathroom.

tangent4ronpaul
05-16-2009, 12:17 PM
The "drug bathroom"?

you mean public schools now have vending machines with rolling papers and hypo needles? - wow! - we have sure made progress in the last few years...

-t

nate895
05-16-2009, 12:23 PM
The "drug bathroom"?

you mean public schools now have vending machines with rolling papers and hypo needles? - wow! - we have sure made progress in the last few years...

-t

LOL, no, just one of our bathrooms is constantly being used for drug deals.

asimplegirl
05-16-2009, 01:19 PM
R u sure? I thought that germs bred more easily on stacks of used paper towels. :confused: ~confuzzled~

Think about that nasty bathroom. Now think of heat being blown throughout it at sporadic intervals, all while the doors are not being kept open, and the germs are trapped.

We all know that warm moist air is the perfect breeding ground for germs.

Now think of those germs being blown onto other surfaces, and have perfect temps and humidity to thrive.

Gross huh?

Other studies have found the hand dryer to be less hygienic than the paper towel. One paper (Ngeow YF, Ong HW, Tan P. Dispersal of bacteria by an electric air hand dryer. Malays J Pathol. 1989 Aug;11:53-6.) found that air dryers dispersed marker bacteria in a radius of three feet and onto the investigator's laboratory coat. Another study (Rebecca Montville, Yuhuan Chen and Donald W. Schaffner, Risk assessment of hand washing efficacy using literature and experimental data, International Journal of Food Microbiology, Volume 73, Issues 2-3, 11 March 2002, Pages 305-313) found that hot air dryers had the capacity to increase the bacterial count on the skin, and that paper towel drying decreased skin bacterial count. This is agreed upon by another study (Gould D. The significance of hand-drying in the prevention of infection. Nurs Times. 1994 Nov 23-29;90(47):33-5), which also found that the mechanical action of paper towel drying removed bacteria, which is something hand dryers cannot do.

asimplegirl
05-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Here is more:

http://www.topcountry923.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=295:air-dryers-spread-bacteria-worse-than-towels&catid=39:health-a-wellbeing&Itemid=79

Warm air hand dryers cause an average 254 percent increase in the number of bacteria on the palms of people’s hands as well as contaminating the surrounding area, according to a recent study by University of Westminster in London.

The study also showed that on average, paper towels reduce bacteria on the hands by 77 percent.
The University’s School of Biosciences conducted a study of three different hand drying methods - paper towels, regular warm air dryers and the new generation “jet” air dryers. Each drying option produced radically different results with warm air hand dryers causing an alarming increase in the amount of bacteria found on palms and finger pads.

Warm air hand dryers result in largest bacteria increase

Regular warm air hand dryers performed by far the worst in the tests with an average bacterial increase of 194 percent on the finger pads and 254 percent on the palms. The results suggest a dramatic increase in the amount of the Staphylococcus aureus, a type of bacteria known to cause food poisoning, abscesses, boils and potentially penicillin resistant infections.

University of Westminster senior academic Keith Redway said: “The presence of any type of Staphylococcus aureus on the hands of a worker in the food industry or medical field should be taken seriously as should any increase in its numbers caused by particular hand drying methods.”

Airborne bacteria

The study also tested the new type of “Jet” air hand dryer. “Jet” air hand dryers increased bacteria by an average 42 percent on the finger pads and 15 percent on the palms. The air dryers do not only cause an increase of bacteria, they also contaminated the washroom environment and other washroom users. This is caused by the high airspeeds of up to 400 mph that blow out of the unit. Tests showed that bacteria can spread as far as 2 meters from the “Jet” air dryer while regular warm air hand dryers spread bacteria 0.25 meters.

“The superior performance of paper towels over the two types of dryer in reducing the numbers of bacteria was shown with both the finger pads and the palms of the subjects,” said Keith.
Paper towels are the safest method

The test confirmed that paper towels are the safest method of drying your hands after washing. In all tests, paper showed a reduction of bacteria. The average decrease was 76 percent on the finger pads and 77 percent on the palms. Also, paper is not likely to contaminate the washroom environment or other users.

“Using paper towels results in a significant decrease in the numbers of bacteria on the hands, a clear advantage compared with the increases observed for both types of electric hand dryer tested in this study. In addition, paper towels are far less likely to contaminate other washroom users and the washroom environment,” said Keith.

SCA Hygiene Australasia, Director of Sales and Marketing – B2B Tiffiny Lewin said: “It’s important to maintain hygiene at all times, especially in public areas. We’re pleased that this study has proved that paper towels perform best in this regard. We hope it will raise awareness of the importance of hand hygiene in areas frequented by the public, and by people in regular contact with the public.”

LATruth
05-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Back on topic...

I just had to google this phenomenon called "running of the urinals", this is what I found:

YouTube - Guy runs porta johns @ Preakness 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78dEg5qjbP0)

YouTube - Preakness Toilet Run 2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcyFSYhvV4)

YouTube - crazy drunk gets hit in the head with beer cans at preakness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0VG2NpkOA)

NOW THATS ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Met Income
05-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm so glad I don't have germ hangups. Life is so much easier without them.

Matt Collins
05-16-2009, 03:05 PM
and run across the tops of the porta-potties while other people would through beers at them. People were throwing full cans of beer?!! Seems like a waste to me. :rolleyes: