PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Dobson endorsing Paul

EvanVolm
09-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I got an email back after asking Dobson to endorse Ron Paul:

Thanks for your recent e-mail. We are pleased you took a moment to share a few thoughts regarding the 2008 presidential election.

While we appreciate your willingness to weigh in on the merits of Ron Paul’s platform, we should point out that Focus is prohibited by IRS guidelines from endorsing presidential candidates. Our sister 501(c)(4) organization, Focus on the Family Action, though allowed greater latitude in that area, has likewise chosen to refrain from so doing. Rather, we believe we’re called to speak out on the moral issues that Christians can’t afford to ignore and to recommend that believers vote for candidates whose convictions align with those principles, regardless of party affiliation. Along these lines, we invite you to take a look at a paper titled Non-Negotiable Issues: Focus on the Family’s Encouragement to Christian Voters. It explains some of the factors we believe are key in determining a viable candidate.

It’s also worth mentioning that if Dr. Dobson were to endorse a presidential candidate, he would do so as a private individual and not in his capacity as Chairman of the Board of Focus or Focus Action. To this point, Dr. Dobson has not backed anyone for the 2008 election.

Again, thanks for contacting us. Be assured that we will continue to closely monitor the presidential race, and, as the field narrows, we will provide as much information as possible about the views of those who come to the fore. Richest blessings!

Earle Morgan
Focus on the Family

SwooshOU
09-20-2007, 02:18 PM
If Dr. Dobson were to endorse Ron Paul, there would be so many huge implications in Christendom. First, the millions who listen to him would be exposed to Ron Paul. Not only that but the exposure would obviously be positive. Second, the pastors and leaders who influence their congregation would add several percentage points in his polling in my opinion. Also, his views would be massively validated among Christians.

R_Harris
09-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Is there any prohibition from Dobson interviewing Ron Paul on his show? I am certain he has interviewed candidates on his show.

RP4ME
09-20-2007, 02:41 PM
no - cbn does it all teh time - he can - istshow the endorse without endorsing.....who come some the show

FluffyUnbound
09-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Dobson? Booooooooo.

We may as well ask for the endorsement of Fred Phelps.

Seriously, if LibertyEagle's going to yell at people for going to an anti-war rally where leftists were, I guess I can yell at you guys fo wanting that POS Dobson on our side.

I guess I know better now where LibertyEagle was coming from. Because frankly, if Dobson DID endorse Paul, I'd be tempted to stop supporting Paul.

Taco John
09-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Dobson? Booooooooo.

Seriously, if LibertyEagle's going to yell at people for going to an anti-war rally where leftists were, I guess I can yell at you guys fo wanting that POS Dobson on our side.

I guess I know better now where LibertyEagle was coming from. Because frankly, if Dobson DID endorse Paul, I'd be tempted to stop supporting Paul.

It would be worth losing you to get the most powerful voting block in the nation. Sorry, but you don't understand politics if you equate Dobson with Phelps.

ctb619
09-20-2007, 02:59 PM
You'd be tempted to stop supporting RP? How is that logical?

quickmike
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Dobson? Booooooooo.

Thats nuts.

You would let someone elses opinoin of Ron Paul sway you to not support him anymore?

aksmith
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
I am not a Christian and certainly no supporter of Dobson or any of his ilk. But if he supported Dr. Paul, it would mean I was wrong about Dobson, not wrong about Dr. Paul.

As Ron Paul said to the "value voters", you cannot and should not legislate morality. Any Christian leader who would stand behind a candidate who comes to them and says that is a Christian leader that I, as a non-Christian, can admire without qualification.

R_Harris
09-20-2007, 03:07 PM
It would be worth losing you to get the most powerful voting block in the nation. Sorry, but you don't understand politics if you equate Dobson with Phelps.

EXACTLY. Probably not a wise move to write off 10 million conservative Christian voters who listen to Dobson and support his ministry financially.

As I said, at least getting on his show for an interview would be a GREAT event for Ron.

speciallyblend
09-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Umm im in colorado,if you guys want dobson,come and getem out of our state.I'm sorry im highly doubtful dobson would endorse Ron Paul. Focus on the Family should be called do it our way ,or we will remove you from our family.Focus on the family is a joke.I support RON PAULS MESSAGE not the REPUBLICAN PARTYS BS

FluffyUnbound
09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

The Family Research Council Dobson founded is a bunch of redneck anti-First Amendment and anti-Fourteenth Amendment trash. I think you're looking for the Huckabee campaign, not the Paul campaign.

TurtleBurger
09-20-2007, 08:31 PM
It would be great if it happened, but no one who throws around the word "Islamofascists" as much as Dobson does is never going to endorse Paul.

dircha
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Have you listened to Dobson's program?

I can't think of any reason why he would support Paul over Huckabee or Tancredo.

And there are a multitude of reasons why he would never consider voting for Paul: withdrawing from Iraq, ending economic and military support for Israel, opposition to a federal marriage ammendment, decriminalizing prostitution, decriminalizing illegal drugs.

These are all positions Dr. Paul has indicated support for, and are all positions that even individually would be deal-breakers for someone like Dobson.