PDA

View Full Version : Looking for liberty state representatives!

Imperial
05-14-2009, 08:55 PM
I have been making a list of 2010 liberty candidates(including name, state, party, status, and office) and added a section to indicate incumbency and previous office held. This got me thinking it would be useful to begin a list of people in government who we support.

I am not going to try to pick out the good guys in the US congress right now or the local offices across the nation. At the moment, I am looking at the state legislatures. If you have a state senator or representative who is one of us or close to it, please drop their name here.

Currently I have:
State Rep. Kym Pine(HI)
State Rep. Dan Itse(NH)
State Rep. Jim Guest(MO)

nate895
05-14-2009, 09:08 PM
I know there is one in Washington, but I forgot his name.

I am considering a run for a seat in the House.

South Park Fan
05-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Would Charles Key, Sam Rohrer, and/or Carl Wimmer count?

Imperial
05-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I found State Rep. Mike Doherty of New Jersey to add to the list.

Thanks for the possible people, I guess I will have to do some research. Beyond these few individuals, I only hear scattered mentions of state reps who are libertarian-esque.

South Park Fan
05-16-2009, 10:53 PM
I'll have to look into her more, but State Sen. Karen Johnson of Arizona sounds liberty-oriented. State Reps. Joel Winters and Carol McGuire of New Hampshire also sounds good for the most part.

Mosheh Thezion
05-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I have every intention to run, IN 2010 FOR CONGRES, if I can pull it together, with hopefully A little help from my friends, such as hopefully, people here.

If anyone can offer me some advice in doing this... running, it would be appreciated.

-MEMAT

nobody's_hero
05-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Rep. Bobby Franklin R-43 of Georgia, incumbent

Biggest proponent in the state legislature for HB 430, the Constitutional Tender Act.

Also, he introduced House Bill 466 that would collect state income tax from the Federal Reserve branch of Atlanta, in the same manner as every other private bank.

Neither bill passed, unfortunately. We need MORE liberty candidates :)

invisible
05-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Due to term limits, Jim Guest will not be able to run for reelection as a State Rep. See his website, and I also had started a thread on him around here somewhere. Perhaps it's time to promote him to Congress?

Also add Neal Kurk (spelled correctly?) from NH to the list.

Minarchy4Sale
05-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Matt Shae, WA

dr. hfn
05-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Go to the Libertarian Party and Constitution Party websites and find their candidates!

RP4EVER
05-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Bob Marshall (R-VA)

Imperial
05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Apparently Alex Jones' show misspelled Matt Shae's name, which is actually Matt SHEA.

Ok, so the list of legislators I am going to check out are:

Bobby Franklin(GA)
Matt Shea(WA)-clear
Bob Marshall(VA)-clear
Neal Kurk(NH)
Karen Johnson(AZ)
Charles Key
Sam Rohrer
Carl Wimmer
Leo Berman
Joel Winters(NH)
Carol Macguire(NH)
Jim Guest(MO)-clear
Kym Pine(HI)-clear
Mike Doherty(NJ)-clear

I checked out Shea and Marshall, and the latter I am kind of iffy on and the former I am less iffy but still checking. I am thinking I may categorize them a bit.

bigronaldo
05-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Carl Isett (R-TX-District 84) from here in Lubbock is probably the most libertarian member in the Texas House. He's awesome! Not entirely sure about national issues, but definitely a patriot on state issues.

RP4EVER
05-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Imperial: Bob Marshall was Ron Pauls main campaigner in the northwestern part of the state. He was also the reason VAs Republican Party went from choosing candidates via primary to convention. He lost the Senate Nomination against Jim Gilmore by 65 or so votes

This past year he along with Senator Ken Cuccinelli (Candidate for AG) introduced an Anti Real ID Act; which passed. They also introduced a state soverignty bill; though no action was taken.

South Park Fan
05-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Bump

Imperial
05-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Imperial: Bob Marshall was Ron Pauls main campaigner in the northwestern part of the state. He was also the reason VAs Republican Party went from choosing candidates via primary to convention. He lost the Senate Nomination against Jim Gilmore by 65 or so votes + anti-REAL id

Ok then, I will add it.

Also, added Carl Isett. He ran for a US Congress seat once(came in close third in crowded race); if you could find his positions from that race that might help the national positions.

haaaylee
05-25-2009, 04:56 PM
taking a look into all the state reps who have introduced or supported the state's rights/sovereignty bills would be a good place to start. i heard my state rep speak today at a rally for state's rights and loved what i heard. haven't researched him that much but he was on glenn beck awhile back: Leo Berman.

Imperial
05-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Added Matt Shea. He was also at the Seattle CFL event. Anyone know anything about the other WA legislator at the event in Seattle?

I will look at Leo Berman and add him to the possibilities list. I will post up my list of finalized guys in awhile.

South Park Fan
05-25-2009, 09:12 PM
According to Matt Collins, State Rep. Susan Lynn (R-TN) is a friend of liberty.

Austin
05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Imperial,

Are you making a website? I think www.libertyslate.com would be nice.

Matt Collins
05-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Rep Susan Lynn in TN without a doubt.

Also Burchett, Niceley, and Beavers in the TN legislature. They are not as solidly liberty leaning as Representative Lynn, but they have put forth some great legislation.

South Park Fan
06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Bob Marshall shouldn't be on the list. According to Wikipedia:
" Before election to the Virginia House of Delegates in 1991, Marshall was a staffer for the American Life League, an organization which opposes all forms of abortion and birth control and also was a noted gun control activist."

"In 2000, Marshall was the sole patron of H.B. 350[1] and H.B. 351[2] in the Virginia General Assembly. These bills made it a Class 6 Felony to possess a gun on any public property in the state of Virginia even with a concealed carry permit."

Imperial
06-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Imperial,

Are you making a website? I think www.libertyslate.com would be nice.

Not yet, but I am giving it to RonPaulHawaii I think for retakecongress.com as it develops. I have links for all the liberty candidates and am listing the actual standing liberty representatives

Will add Susan Lynn, check out the others.

FSP-Rebel
06-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Apparently Alex Jones' show misspelled Matt Shae's name, which is actually Matt SHEA.

Ok, so the list of legislators I am going to check out are:

Bobby Franklin(GA)
Matt Shea(WA)-clear
Bob Marshall(VA)-clear
Neal Kurk(NH)
Karen Johnson(AZ)
Charles Key
Sam Rohrer
Carl Wimmer
Leo Berman
Joel Winters(NH)
Carol Macguire(NH)
Jim Guest(MO)-clear
Kym Pine(HI)-clear
Mike Doherty(NJ)-clear

I checked out Shea and Marshall, and the latter I am kind of iffy on and the former I am less iffy but still checking. I am thinking I may categorize them a bit.

Add:
Joel Winters (D- Manchester, NH)
Jen Coffey (R- Andover, Boscawen, Canterbury, Loudon, Northfield, and Salisbury, NH)
Both Freestaters in addition to the above reps, Winters and Macguire.

It's amazing that only NH has 4 people elected to the state house as pro-liberty activists. If you like this progress vs other states, join #2 in my sig.

Imperial
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM
K added

hawaiisb
06-02-2009, 11:56 PM
wow I had never heard of Kym Pine. Glad to see Oahu has a good Rep.

hotbrownsauce
06-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Missouri has term limits now

Cynthia Davis R Missouri State House 100%
Jim Guest R Missouri State House 100% (Maybe he'll run for Congress or Senate in Missouri State)
Rick Stream R Missouri State House - Supports the idea the Federal Government needs to stop spending money. Supported 10th amendment resolution by Cynthia Davis. Supported Real ID legislation by Jim Guest. Has recently supported a more relaxed gun law. I write him after every update he sends me and let him know where I stand on issues. So far he seems more on our side than Neo Con.

Oh and what about Jim Limbkey R Missouri State Senate?
http://www.senate.mo.gov/09info/members/mem01.htm
(He was at the CFL event in St. Louis with Jim Guest and Cynthia Davis)

South Park Fan
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=236887&page=2
Phil Hart of Idaho seems like a good state rep.

LittleLightShining
07-07-2010, 05:55 AM
Kristin Sohlstrom (R) Barre City 3-2 (VT)

Elwar
07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Ed Thompson for state senate!!!

http://edthompson.com/

Former mayor and candidate for governor garnering 11% in a 3 way race.

Former Secretary of Homeland Defense, Tommy Thompson is well known for being Ed Thompson's brother.

South Park Fan
07-14-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.nhliberty.org/sites/default/files/2010_Liberty_Rating_rev0711.pdf
There's a list of good state reps in New Hampshire