PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance constantly going up

muh_roads
05-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I've heard that government involvement is the cause for this. I was wondering if someone could explain that?

Kraig
05-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I've heard that government involvement is the cause for this. I was wondering if someone could explain that?

Every time they regulate the medical industry it costs money to follow those regulations.

torchbearer
05-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Imagine, that when you went to buy groceries you had a card that allowed you to buy as much as you want, and you only paid a $20 co-pay.
Would it matter to you how much the items in your buggy cost?
If it doesn't matter to you, then what pressure is there for the grocery store to keep their prices low?
The grocery stores would charge more because it wouldn't deter you from shopping there because you weren't really paying for the bulk of it.
THis is how insurance, both private and public increase the cost of medicine.

I don't have insurance. I shop around for the best prices in pharmacies and doctors.
I didn't realize this at first... but you can haggle with pharmacies. The price they ask is not the price you have to pay.
I pay half of what other people pay for their medicines because I pay in cash, and I negotiated terms with the head pharmacist at Kroger's, so I keep all my business with him.

If everyone had to pay out of their pockets for medical treatment, everyone would shop around, thus- medical providers would have to compete for your business, and part of the competition is charging less than the other guy.

Acala
05-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Imagine, that when you went to buy groceries you had a card that allowed you to buy as much as you want, and you only paid a $20 co-pay.
Would it matter to you how much the items in your buggy cost?
If it doesn't matter to you, then what pressure is there for the grocery store to keep their prices low?
The grocery stores would charge more because it wouldn't deter you from shopping there because you weren't really paying for the bulk of it.
THis is how insurance, both private and public increase the cost of medicine.

I don't have insurance. I shop around for the best prices in pharmacies and doctors.
I didn't realize this at first... but you can haggle with pharmacies. The price they ask is not the price you have to pay.
I pay half of what other people pay for their medicines because I pay in cash, and I negotiating terms with the head pharmacist at Kroger's, so I keep all my business with him.

Exactly. Massive government and government-driven insurance subsidies have driven prices through the roof. Want a comparison? While the price of health care covered by insurance and government subsidy has continued to skyrocket, the cost of lasix surgery (which is not covered by most insurance or government subsidy) has dropped by two-thirds or more.

Subsidies always drive up prices.

muh_roads
05-14-2009, 02:41 PM
This is what I'm dealing with now. Having to "shop around" because I'm on HSA and it is screwing me at the moment. It lets you discover how much the bastards are charging.