PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul & Iraq

rjl
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I was just wondering if Ron Paul, his campaign, or anyone had considered the feasibility or possibility of Dr. Paul making a visit to Iraq? Is that something that could/should happen considering that is the issue for which he has received the most attention?

Green Mountain Boy
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
I was just wondering if Ron Paul, his campaign, or anyone had considered the feasibility or possibility of Dr. Paul making a visit to Iraq? Is that something that could/should happen considering that is the issue for which he has received the most attention?

What would be the purpose of the visit besides wasting more of our tax dollars?

njandrewg
09-20-2007, 01:43 PM
nah its hardly a stroll through baghadad as McCain pointed it out..and it woudln't take much effort to walk him by an IED

surf
09-20-2007, 01:45 PM
i'd discourage it. not only can't we - as supporters - afford this trip and all the safety, etc. to go along, but taking a moral high-ground here also won't really allow us to call on fellow taxpayers to fund it.

To involve Dr. Paul in the internal affairs of Iraq is anathema to one of our core messages.

ctb619
09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
any visit would be stage-managed by the Pentagon....waste of time

JosephTheLibertarian
09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
i'd discourage it. not only can't we - as supporters - afford this trip and all the safety, etc. to go along, but taking a moral high-ground here also won't really allow us to call on fellow taxpayers to fund it.

To involve Dr. Paul in the internal affairs of Iraq is anathema to one of our core messages.

Maybe Ron Paul should be the king of Iraq? He would be a great leader lol. I'd probably move there!

rjl
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I was just thinking about it purely politically. Not practically, not from a principle point of view, but it would definitely make the news. And I'd rather have my tax dollars pay for that than hired-gun mercenaries. I'll admit the idea is a little out there.

ctb619
09-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I was just thinking about it purely politically. Not practically, not from a principle point of view, but it would definitely make the news. And I'd rather have my tax dollars pay for that than hired-gun mercenaries. I'll admit the idea is a little out there.

I can see how the idea might appealing, but he would have to say it is a fact-finding mission, otherwise there is no reason to fund the trip. He would require US military protection, so everything he sees and everyone he talks to is carefully controlled by the Department of Defense - the information will indicate that everything is going just fine and the occupation is working, withdrawing would result in genocide, wanton violence and chaos. If he returns to the states and disputes that information, it will just be counterproductive from a public relations standpoint (i.e. he says the military is lying and he doesn't support the troops).

mkrfctr
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Politically not much to gain, it would just be seen as grandstanding/photo op, like all the other people who have gone. Plus he doesn't need to go on a fact-finding mission, his stance was and will remain to not meddle in the affairs of other nations, thus whatever happens there good or bad is nothing for him, as a government official/representative, to concerned with.