PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul On Gun Control..question

Shellshock1918
09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Why did ron paul vote against these bills?

* Voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
* Voted NO on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
* Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)

I'm sure there is more than meets the eye here, I'd like to know if anyone knows why he voted against these measures. I'm debating some neo-con fred-head so any explanation would be helpful.

jblosser
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Why would Ron vote to prohibit suits on gun manufacturers? Where in the Constitution is Congress allowed to do that? That kind of legislation is the exact crap that starts this corporacracy. First a bill like that, then a bill redefining "gun manufacturers" as "any big business".

Also, at least one of those bills had the Pelosi compromise amendment that mandated trigger locks. The NRA supported the bill and Ron opposed it and that's why they gave him an A- or B+ or whatever it was and endorsed a liberal democrat against him for his congressional seat. Yes, the NRA supported trigger locks, Ron didn't, and that makes him somehow less supporting of gun owners' rights. This is why people are switching to GOA instead of the NRA.

I've never bothered to look up the gun waiting period legislation but I don't really care. There may well have been more than meets the eye but what meets the eye is offensive enough. The Congress has no authority to talk about waiting periods at all.

Elwar
09-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Looks kinda like the first two are trying to overstep the judiciary decisions with Congressional intervention. Kinda like the 3 strikes and you're out law.

quickmike
09-20-2007, 12:30 PM
before questioning his vote, you should go check out the complete bill. sometimes these bills(actually most of the time) they contain unconstitutional add ons like requiring all guns to be locked up and have trigger locks on them, banning certain types of ammunition, and other bits of bullshit that nobody even bothers to read. Thankfully Ron reads the whole thing before he votes. Dont just look at the title of the bill and its general idea. You have to look at the thing as a whole. Kinda like they did with the patriot act where everyone voted for it because they didnt know anything about it.

Shellshock1918
09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I'd figured that inside the bills there would be some bs law attached to it. Thanks!

Ridiculous
09-20-2007, 12:41 PM
before questioning his vote, you should go check out the complete bill. sometimes these bills(actually most of the time) they contain unconstitutional add ons like requiring all guns to be locked up and have trigger locks on them, banning certain types of ammunition, and other bits of bullshit that nobody even bothers to read. Thankfully Ron reads the whole thing before he votes. Dont just look at the title of the bill and its general idea. You have to look at the thing as a whole. Kinda like they did with the patriot act where everyone voted for it because they didnt know anything about it.

That is exactly what I was going to say.

quickmike
09-20-2007, 12:50 PM
That is exactly what I was going to say.

Yeah, you know the deal. Its all bait and switch, a shell game. You know, the kind of BS that Fred T used to promote when he was a senator.

Slimy bastard