PDA

View Full Version : Ayn Rand's predecessor: Isabel Paterson

emazur
05-13-2009, 12:08 AM
I never heard of her til I read this article and thought I'd share
http://www.amconmag.com/article/2009/may/04/00026/

Both Roosevelt and his hapless predecessor, Herbert Hoover, tried to inspire confidence by keeping unsuccessful enterprises afloat at the expense of successful ones. Strangely, prudent investors declined to be stimulated, no matter how fervently they were exhorted to trust the government’s programs. For Paterson, that result was tediously predictable. She told readers she was “tired of being told that ‘credit depends on confidence.’ Fudge. Credit depends on real assets, sound money and a clean record. … When any one asks us to have confidence we are glad to inform him that the request of itself would shatter any remaining confidence in our mind.”

The fundamental problem, Paterson proposed, is confusion of the economy with politics. In 1932, when Hoover was still in office, she said that “our ‘best minds’ ... have already got the political machinery dangerously entangled with the economic system, disrupting both; and they are now demanding that the government should save them from what they’ve done to it.” As others stood for separation of church and state, Paterson stood for separation of politics and business. She wanted no new government programs to save an economy that government programs had already disrupted. Readers wrote to her, asking her to identify her own plan for the government to solve the nation’s problems. She replied, “What these correspondents really demand is dope. If we don’t believe in their dope, what dope can we suggest in place of it? None whatever. We do not even know a remedy for gullibility.”

(someone needs to create a demotivational poster w/ images of Obama and a starry eyed fan, and put the word 'dope' in there instead of 'hope')

Then there was the issue of government planning. To Paterson, the notion that federal experts can plan to ensure the people’s welfare was a ridiculous projection of childish fantasies—“a mother’s boy economic program with a kind maternal government taking care of everybody out of an inexhaustible income drawn from mysterious sources.” Perfect planning requires perfect foresight—and who possesses that?

Such notions were contemptuously disregarded by the public intellectuals of the 1930s, men who considered Paterson a reactionary lady novelist, lacking the ability to comprehend big, hairy-chested Keynesian and Marxist theories. Edmund Wilson, America’s leading young literary critic, informed Paterson that she was “the last surviving person to believe in [the] quaint old notions on which the republic was founded.”

She maintained, however, that “the principle of the lever remains the same.”

In Rand’s opinion, The God of the Machine, Paterson’s great work of economic and historical theory, “does for capitalism what Das Kapital did for the Reds” and “what the Bible did for Christianity.” In her book, Paterson conceptualized capitalism as an enormous circuit connecting producers and consumers throughout the world, using real money and real profits to generate new efficiencies and larger amounts of energy. She stipulated that government’s proper role was to safeguard the infrastructure of this system, keeping it free from force and fraud. If government went beyond that and tried to manage the economy, it could only divert its energy and, eventually, short-circuit and destroy it.

Reason
05-13-2009, 12:10 AM
(someone needs to create a demotivational poster w/ images of Obama and a starry eyed fan, and put the word 'dope' in there instead of 'hope')

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pbEE7M7xDd4/ScPd-HR0j9I/AAAAAAAAAJk/e133gZiIM7E/s400/obama_dope.jpg

This would really be better combined with the "DOH" noise from Homer Simpson

revolutionman
05-13-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm actually reading the God Of The Machine right now. Small world.

Objectivist
05-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Ideas are timeless.

emazur
05-13-2009, 03:14 AM
I'm actually reading the God Of The Machine right now. Small world.

How is it so far? Only a piddly 4 reviews on amazon - seems like it deserves much more attention (especially now) based on what Rand said

revolutionman
05-13-2009, 04:41 AM
so far so good in my opinion. i recommend it. if only to become more familiar with classical history.