PDA

View Full Version : [FDA] Prescription needed to eat Cherrios

MikeStanart
05-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Credit to Drudgereport

No joke people.....

Either Cherrios stops the campaign that "eating cherrios can help lower your cholesterol" or you'll need a prescription! How far will the FDA go? :eek:

http://wcbstv.com/health/cheerios.general.mills.2.1007986.html

Texan4Life
05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/122nvbk.jpg

edit: The FDA boat that is...

UtahApocalypse
05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Fixing this for the Op....

Here is the article: http://wcbstv.com/health/cheerios.general.mills.2.1007986.html

According to a letter from the FDA General Mills' advertising violates the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The agency said claims that Cheerios ingredients can lower cholesterol within a certain amount of time, all while providing cancer-fighting and heart-healthy benefits, essentially makes Cheerios "a drug" by their definition. And no drug in this country can be legally marketed without an approved new drug application.

Texan4Life
05-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Fixing this for the Op....

Here is the article: http://wcbstv.com/health/cheerios.general.mills.2.1007986.html

cool.. though my failboat was for the FDA :)

asimplegirl
05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
That's what they always say.."if it works and you say it, and the government doesn't get a majority of the money from it, it will soon be illegal, or you will call yourself a liar".

BeFranklin
05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
In my state, that means if you ordered a box of cheeros by mail without a prescription, it would be a felony.

Texan4Life
05-12-2009, 09:26 PM
wait couldn't cheerios just claim it is an herbal supplement and keep their labeling? Or is that a another can of worms entirely?

Knightskye
05-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Over-the-counter Cheerios now!

speciallyblend
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Reeses Puffs screw cheerios, say no to drugs,snickers arrest them all! lock them up with the pot smokers then they can trade pot for cheerios:)(sarcasm)

Ninja Homer
05-12-2009, 09:53 PM
wait couldn't cheerios just claim it is an herbal supplement and keep their labeling? Or is that a another can of worms entirely?

Nope... herbal supplements aren't allowed to make health claims either. The FDA does not allow unpatentable stuff to compete with pharmaceuticals. As far as I can tell, that's the only thing they do proactively. Everything else they do (prescription drugs killing people, lead in toys, etc) is just a reaction to people's complaints.

sdczen
05-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Just one more reason to abolish the FDA. I'll take my chances.

acptulsa
05-13-2009, 07:01 AM
So, you need a prescription to eat healthy foods now, but you can have all the Genetically Monsantoed crap you can come up with the FRNs and/or food stamp card points to purchase? Sweet deal for the Other MIC (Medical Industrial Complex)...

Todd
05-13-2009, 07:22 AM
So, you need a prescription to eat healthy foods now, but you can have all the Genetically Monsantoed crap you can come up with the FRNs and/or food stamp card points to purchase? Sweet deal for the Other MIC (Medical Industrial Complex)...

I've also heard rumors that the possibility that apple seeds may help with some forms of cancer would also have to be regulated. Since food itself is medicinal...... Don't want a natural substitutes competing with things like Nolvadex. :rolleyes:

SharkGirl
05-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi. My name is Colleen...and....and...*sob* *sniffle*....I'm a Cheerios addict. I started eating Cheerios when I saw the commercial that it would lower something I know nothing of, and...well..I would just wake up in the middle of the night and want Cheerios for no reason.

Next thing I know, I'm addicted to the drug and now the FDA wants to make it so I have to have a prescription. *Sniffle*

Does Kroger have a house brand that I can get the same drug affect I get from Cheerios?

acptulsa
05-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Does Kroger have a house brand that I can get the same drug affect I get from Cheerios?

This is your heart. This is your heart on Cheerios. Any questions?

pacelli
05-13-2009, 07:43 AM
We're going to have some serious economic growth now. Government fixed the root cause of the problem. Cheerios. Come on!!

roho76
05-13-2009, 08:04 AM

Sorry Colleen but Generic drugs are also controlled by the FDA.

Don't Tread on Mike
05-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Their classification of a drug is a fallacy and absurd.

A. Havnes
05-13-2009, 08:18 AM
As long as we're making things illegal, let's make over half of the pharmaceutical drugs illegal as well! I mean, most of them have a less than 3 month trial period anyway!

acptulsa
05-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Their classification of a drug is a fallacy and absurd.

If it's good for you and you say so, it's a drug now. If it's good for you but you don't say so, it escapes being a drug--for now...

The drug companies seem to want to patent nutrients and sell them in pills--and they want a monopoly. Food is no longer for nutrition; it's now just something to fill up on. And the FDA says they just need to verify all claims, nothing to see here...

nullvalu
05-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I just wrote GM and told them to please stand up to that tyrannical government bureaucracy. I hope they give a big middle finger to the FDA as their explanation "how it will correct the statements on Cheerios boxes."

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2009, 09:27 AM
ZOMG!:eek: What kind of ridiculous shit does TPTB have to come up with before people say ENOUGH! NO MORE STATISM! :confused:

acptulsa
05-13-2009, 09:31 AM
ZOMG!:eek: What kind of ridiculous shit does TPTB have to come up with before people say ENOUGH! NO MORE STATISM! :confused:

Who?

I'm already there, how about you? Everyone has his or her own individual threshhold. Don't get all collectivist on us, now.

torchbearer
05-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I just wrote GM and told them to please stand up to that tyrannical government bureaucracy. I hope they give a big middle finger to the FDA as their explanation "how it will correct the statements on Cheerios boxes."

Wasn't it General Mills that came down on Michael Phelps for smoking marijuana?
If so- karma is a bitch, and its ironic that their products are about to join prohibition.

UtahApocalypse
05-13-2009, 09:39 AM
If so- karma is a bitch, and its ironic that their products are about to join prohibition.

I had not thought of that. I believe that could be a good talking point when addressing this issue to GM.

Todd
05-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi. My name is Colleen...and....and...*sob* *sniffle*....I'm a Cheerios addict. I started eating Cheerios when I saw the commercial that it would lower something I know nothing of, and...well..I would just wake up in the middle of the night and want Cheerios for no reason.

Next thing I know, I'm addicted to the drug and now the FDA wants to make it so I have to have a prescription. *Sniffle*

This little guy got addicted early. Maybe the parents will get arrested for contributing to the delinquency of.

http://www.goteampark.com/uploaded_images/bennett_7months-760210.jpg

UtahApocalypse
05-13-2009, 10:50 AM

This little guy got addicted early. Maybe the parents will get arrested for contributing to the delinquency of.

http://www.goteampark.com/uploaded_images/bennett_7months-760210.jpg

Someone needs to 'shop this into something related

acptulsa
05-13-2009, 10:54 AM
So, oats are good for you and any horse has enough sense to know it. I guess this means horse sense is now officially against U.S. law.

Trigonx
05-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Pretty sure it was Kelloggs.

torchbearer
05-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Pretty sure it was Kelloggs.

who makes pop tarts?
it was that company.

nate895
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
At what point will the people wake the fuck up? This is just so preposterous as to baffle the mind. I bet you could get Soviet-brand cheerios without a prescription if they had them.

idirtify
05-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Just one more reason to abolish the FDA. I'll take my chances.

Does RP also advocate for the elimination of the FDA? I assumed so, but can’t find anything specific. Please help. I’m in a debate with an FDA "advocate/fence-straddler".

sdczen
05-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Does RP also advocate for the elimination of the FDA? I assumed so, but can’t find anything specific. Please help. I’m in a debate with an FDA "advocate/fence-straddler".

Yes, RP would support the abolition of the FDA. A private organization like UL could step in and do product testing/certification.

CUnknown
05-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Well, the point is that Cheerios is using unproven claims of health benefits to sell its product. They have to either prove the claim, or stop using it. What is wrong with that?

It's like selling snake oil -- "It will cure all that ails ya!" You can't do that either. You need to prove that you're not committing fraud.

torchbearer
05-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, the point is that Cheerios is using unproven claims of health benefits to sell its product. They have to either prove the claim, or stop using it. What is wrong with that?

It's like selling snake oil -- "It will cure all that ails ya!" You can't do that either. You need to prove that you're not committing fraud.

If they are defrauding consumers, then sue them in court for fraud.
The idea that the government should control what we buy is retarded.

almantimes2
05-17-2009, 10:45 AM

http://www.bakeryandsnacks.com/The-Big-Picture/Two-bowls-of-Cheerios-a-day-cut-cholesterol-levels-Study

Also it's not fraud unless cheerios were to say that it WILL lower your cholesterol no matter what. It doesn't say that it say it can help lower your cholesterol. Not that it WILL. But it can.

Even If it didn't it's up to the consumers to research what there eating. Also if cheerios really did not lower cholesterol then capitalism would do it's work for the consumer and a rival company would attack cheerios through a commercial.

idirtify
05-17-2009, 11:44 AM

That’s neither true nor the real point. Cheerios’ claims are provable enough. But even still, FDA requires that any claim of a drug effect requires the product to come under the many regulations of the new-drug approval process.