PDA

View Full Version : Forbes Coverage of H.R. 1207: The Federal Reserve Needs To Be Boring Again

Bruno
05-12-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/12/federal-reserve-bernie-sanders-ron-paul-opinions-columnists-talf.html

Fed policies are undermining its independence.

Extraordinary times require extraordinary actions. Nowhere is that more apparent than in the bold policy moves undertaken by the Federal Reserve over the past two years. The financial crisis forced the Fed to be aggressive and creative in its attempts to provide liquidity to credit markets that had frozen up. These were necessary steps, and mostly applauded.

But the very boldness of its actions has put the independence of the Fed at risk. Congress is now clamoring to audit the Fed, and some of the policy proposals currently under discussion at the Federal Reserve will only increase the threat to its independence.

Before we deconstruct these issues, let's focus on why it is important to have an independent central bank. The answer is quite obvious. An independent central bank can focus on monetary policies for the long term--that is, policies targeting low and stable inflation and a monetary climate that promotes long-term economic growth. Political cycles, alas, are considerably shorter. Without independence, the political cycle would subject the central bank to political pressures that, in turn, would impart an inflationary bias to monetary policy.

On this view, politicians in a democratic society are short-sighted because they are driven by the need to win their next election. This is borne out by empirical evidence. A politically insulated central bank is more likely to be concerned with long-run objectives.

A variant of the argument for central bank independence is that control of monetary policy is far too important to put in the hands of politicians. As a group, they have repeatedly demonstrated the lack of political will power to make difficult economic decisions. But now they want to assert control over the Fed. The bill, HR 1207, introduced by Sen. Bernie Sanders (who brought you the "Employ Americans First Act") and Rep. Ron Paul, would assert greater control over the Fed. As Ron Paul writes on his Web site: "Auditing the Fed is only the first step towards exposing this antiquated insider-run creature to the powerful forces of free-market competition. Once there are viable alternatives to the monopolistic fiat dollar, the Federal Reserve will have to become honest and transparent if it wants to remain in business."

Great! Obviously, monetary policy is so falling-off-a-log simple that your elected representatives can insert themselves via the demand for transparency into decisions of true complexity and subtlety. Why am I not feeling reassured?

To a large extent, the Fed backed itself into this problem, and it has to find its way out. In the heat of the financial crisis, the Fed created a number of additional lending facilities and took a wider variety of non-Treasury assets onto its balance sheet. The goal was to provide liquidity for the financial system.

At first it sterilized these transactions by selling Treasury assets, but since September 2008 it has expanded its balance sheet dramatically from roughly $900 billion to over $2 trillion, as of May 6. This has had the effect of increasing the reserves in the system that are available for lending. The current plan is to continue to expand the balance sheet with the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility (TALF), the program designed to buy securities backed by credit card debt, auto loans, student loans, small-business loans and real estate loans.

This dramatic expansion of the balance sheet, together with the Fed's close involvement in the bailout of financial institutions like AIG ( AIG - news - people ) and Merrill Lynch, have put the Fed in the spotlight. It is a problem precisely because if the Fed programs target particular asset classes, or industries or firms--which they do--then the Fed has put itself in the business of allocating credit. Their actions can also distort prices for these assets. This they should not do in general. Buying Treasury securities is completely neutral with respect to the allocation of credit. Buying securities backed by, say, auto loans, is not.

In late March, perhaps to forestall Congressional intervention, the Treasury and the Fed issued a joint press release that acknowledges this problem. It says explicitly that the Federal Reserve should not allocate credit to narrowly defined sectors or classes of borrowers, and pledges the Treasury to help the Fed remove some of the private assets from its balance sheet.

The presence of these assets on the balance sheet in such quantities creates another problem for the Fed that exposes it to intervention. First, these huge unborrowed reserves make some observers nervous about inflation, even though there is no evidence of it right now. But if the Fed has to reduce the assets on its balance sheet to forestall an inflation threat it could be very disruptive to credit markets. Their complicated positions could be hard to unwind. If the assets they bought were liquid, the Fed wouldn't have been buying them in the first place. This means it may be difficult to get the cash out of the economy before it is too late.

The Fed has been quietly surfacing a solution to this problem. In my view, it is ill-conceived and more likely than anything they have done to date to bring Congressional--and even public--wrath down upon them. The idea is for the Fed to issue its own debt, called "Fed Bills." The sale of such bills would have the effect of taking reserves out of the system. Traditionally, the Fed sells Treasury securities to take reserves out of the system, but under this proposal it would be issuing its own debt as way of shrinking reserves.

It is easy to understand why the Fed wants more tools to help it manage its massive balance sheet. The Fed began paying interest on reserves for precisely this reason. With interest on reserves, they can make it relatively more attractive for the holders of reserves to keep the money on deposit rather than lend it out. But issuing debt raises a whole additional level of complication.

There is an open question about whether the Federal Reserve even has the authority to issue claims other than currency. Apparently it thinks it does. But is it even remotely credible that the Fed could have the unbounded authority to borrow money and buy assets without the inconvenience of having to explain itself on Capitol Hill?

Anything that threatens the independence of the Fed threatens the long-term viability of monetary policy. It is really important that the expanded role of the Fed in the current crisis not threaten that viability. An independent Fed can pursue policies that are politically unpopular yet in the public interest. We need central banking to be boring again, not something that keeps us on the edge of our seats.

Thomas F. Cooley, the Paganelli-Bull professor of economics and Richard R. West dean of the NYU Stern School of Business, writes a weekly column for Forbes. His columns are archived here.

brandon
05-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Here's the summary:

First the author states that everything the fed has done has been necessary and has been applauded.

Then the author gives a keyensian/monetarist argument about why monetary policy must be independent of politics. The author implies that knowing what the fed does would somehow take away it's independence. (not sure how this would happen...)

Then the author argues that monetary policy is too complex for anyone in congress to understand, and any congressman who thinks they can understand it is a fool.

Bruno
05-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Here's the summary:

First the author states that everything the fed has done has been necessary and has been applauded.

Then the author gives a keyensian/monetarist argument about why monetary policy must be independent of politics. The author implies that knowing what the fed does would somehow take away it's independence. (not sure how this would happen...)

Then the author argues that monetary policy is too complex for anyone in congress to understand, and any congressman who thinks they can understand it is a fool.

A+

Andrew-Austin
05-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Brandon for saving me time.

wgadget
05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Forbes is SO in the tank with the PTB.

I used to have them on my toolbar, but yesterday I pushed the DELETE button.

Texan4Life
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks Brandon for saving me time.

+1. Way to go taking one for the team!

BenIsForRon
05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Those with a spare two minutes would do well to read the whole article. I bet we can expect "nay" voters, especially in the senate, to use a similar argument against the bill. We will definitely have to defend the bill from this criticism.

Kraig
05-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Those with a spare two minutes would do well to read the whole article. I bet we can expect "nay" voters, especially in the senate, to use a similar argument against the bill. We will definitely have to defend the bill from this criticism.

The absurd thing is that there is absolutely no way anyone can guarantee an independant fed, who knows what arangments they have behind closed doors.

emazur
05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Dude seems to think the Fed is independent in practice - it is not. Greenspan correctly identified the bubbles but failed to do anything about them due to political pressure. Check out this interview (there are 3 parts):
YouTube - Greenspan's stock and real estate bubbles (2006 intrvw.) 1/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW1SYKanO-Y)

american.swan
05-13-2009, 12:10 AM
This bill won't pass because of arguments like this.

The author in a way is correct. If the FED had stayed neutral and boring and managed the economy more like the Chinese, for the long term, then yes, the Fed wouldn't be in the news and this crisis wouldn't have been so overblown. But I think what some want in passing this bill is not only to promote libertarian views, which are superior, but to get at the bastards behind the Oz curtain. The people behind the curtain know a lot more than the public realize about terrorizing a nation economically. I would seriously believe this economic mess was an "accident" if the ptb hadn't played all kind of experiments on other nations like Chile. They use the IMF and world bank as a toy to meddle in other nations affairs. By now, these people know what their doing. They know how to mess up a nation and their messing up the US economy for their own goals.

Jace
05-13-2009, 12:42 AM

carlangaslangas
05-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Great post!

Forbes, you disappoint me. You confuse "political independence" with "secrecy".
I don't like the Fed. However I agree that if it must exist it should be independent. But that does not equate to secrecy which always breeds corruption.
Here's another thread that deals with the Inspector General's failure to audit and investigate:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=191561

This could be the next scandal to hit the nation. We are talking about BILLIONS unaccounted for!

EddieG
05-13-2009, 02:00 AM
The Fed is nominally private but hardly independent. It's governors are appointed by the president. Why would the Fed NOT do the bidding of Sauron? If I remember my Rothbard, wasn't it set up this way in the first place to confuse the issue in people's minds and make people think they were dealing with an independent entity? Plus, why would the owner banks want to tick off the government that they know will need to bail them out when there's a bank run? The whole thing is a convoluted joke.

An independent central bank can focus on monetary policies for the long term--that is, policies targeting low and stable inflation and a monetary climate that promotes long-term economic growth.

Cue the laugh track. That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. When have they ever looked beyond short-term goosing? They never pursue anything sensible for long because there's always an election coming up.

The fact that Forbes would be supporting the secretive counterfeiting that is part and parcel of the Fed is really disgusting. The fact that this supposed free-market publication supports an entity whose reason for existence is to engage in interest rate price fixing is laughable. I'm glad I don't subscribe any longer, although they used to have one or two good columnists who weren't Keynesians (Jim Grant for one).

The Fed doesn't need to be "independent." It cannot be independent because the whole reason for central banks is to allow governments to spend huge amounts of money they don't have by stealing it from people's purchasing power. The Fed is nothing but a theft mechanism, and it needs to be abolished.

EddieG
05-13-2009, 02:10 AM
This bill won't pass because of arguments like this. The author in a way is correct. If the FED had stayed neutral and boring and managed the economy more like the Chinese, for the long term, then yes, the Fed wouldn't be in the news and this crisis wouldn't have been so overblown

Yes, if only they had stolen with more subtlety, they could've stretched out the game for a longer time. However, the greed was too much, and also the only way to salvage a system built on credit and fractional reserve banking is to apply ever greater doses of liquor to the alcoholic. Eventually the old man falls into the gutter and it's time to send him to the fiat graveyard.

purplechoe
05-13-2009, 02:39 AM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/07/11/business/fannie650.jpg

DamianTV
05-13-2009, 03:10 AM
See my sig...

RonPaulFanInGA
05-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Be sure to comment on and rate this story at the link.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/12/federal-reserve-bernie-sanders-ron-paul-opinions-columnists-talf.html

Chester Copperpot
05-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Lets Email Thomas Cooley, the author of this anti-HR1207 article..

Here is his email address: tcooley@stern.nyu.edu

I just emailed him real simple

"The Fed doesnt just need to be audited. It needs to be eliminated."

FreedomRings
05-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Thomas F. Cooley = CFR Member

Maybe we should audit the CFR, too... :D

Jeremy
05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Here are all of his articles http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~tcooley/perspectives.html

CUnknown
05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
You can make the same arguments about "tough decisions" and "subtle complexity" to justify that we need a President who is unelected and independent of the people, i.e. a dictator.

haaaylee
05-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Here's the summary:

This part may be true, based on who we have on Congress . . .

EddieG
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
There aren't the votes to abolish the Fed. Ron Paul is trying to audit the Fed in hopes that people will see how much counterfeiting it is really up to. He's trying to let the sun shine in. It's another step in discrediting a criminal institution.

anaconda
05-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Here's the summary:

Well then, a clean audit will only make this author look better!!!

purplechoe
05-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Can someone who is registered with Forbes.com post this link to a video about Fed Inspector General knowing nothing about what the FED is up to?

YouTube - Is Anyone Minding the Store at the Federal Reserve? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlxBeAvsB8)

acptulsa
05-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I agree--the Fed needs to bore people to tears. In exactly the same way that history bores people to tears.

Bossobass
05-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Can someone who is registered with Forbes.com post this link to a video about Fed Inspector General knowing nothing about what the FED is up to?

Yeah, no kidding.

Trillions in off balance sheet loans of our money and "I'm sorry, Congressman, I can't tell you to whom the loans were made, nor can I tell you what the terms were".

Bernanke the snot nosed monkey told RP on the House floor "you'll have to bring that up with your colleagues because they enacted the Federal Reserve Act".

So, RP does just that and the weasels pour out of the woodwork with a bunch of whining bullshit.

Not only did I flood my Rep with e-mails, the minute she signed on as a co-sponsor, I went to meet here face to face to let her know how important this is to me and everyone in my district I know.

For every opinion piece like this one in Forbes, I'll send 100 e-mails.

See ya in 2010.

Bosso