PDA

View Full Version : Fred Barnes attacks "non-Mainstream" candidates, Ron Paul

Green Mountain Boy
09-20-2007, 10:03 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/weeklystandard/20070920/cm_weeklystandard/theprimaryproblem

"My concern about the plethora of candidates is that many of them haven't a chance of winning their party's nomination. They clutter up the race. They turn debates into uninformative cattle shows. A miracle couldn't put them in the White House in January 2009. And they know it. But like all politicians, they crave attention, and even a frivolous presidential candidacy attracts the media.

Of the 16 candidates--8 Republicans, 8 Democrats--three are House members who haven't announced their retirement from Congress: Democrat Dennis Kucinich and Republicans Ron Paul and Tom Tancredo. They're running for president now, I believe, with the full expectation of dropping out of the race early next year and announcing their intention of seeking re-election to the House. And no doubt they'll be re-elected. They have safe seats."

Johnnybags
09-20-2007, 10:07 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/weeklystandard/20070920/cm_weeklystandard/theprimaryproblem

"My concern about the plethora of candidates is that many of them haven't a chance of winning their party's nomination. They clutter up the race. They turn debates into uninformative cattle shows. A miracle couldn't put them in the White House in January 2009. And they know it. But like all politicians, they crave attention, and even a frivolous presidential candidacy attracts the media.

Of the 16 candidates--8 Republicans, 8 Democrats--three are House members who haven't announced their retirement from Congress: Democrat Dennis Kucinich and Republicans Ron Paul and Tom Tancredo. They're running for president now, I believe, with the full expectation of dropping out of the race early next year and announcing their intention of seeking re-election to the House. And no doubt they'll be re-elected. They have safe seats."

He wants the contrived CFR's debating only? He is a buffoon. What good is debate if they all agree? Send Barnes an email begging for retirement.

dsentell
09-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Fred Barnes always gets under my skin.

He is a "Beltway Boy" neo-con.

Johnnybags
09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey Fred, most people are just beginning to look at candidates. How about
letting fundraising and the democratic process run its course? No need to worry,
those like John McCain will drop soon enough. We do not need Fred Barnes telling
us who should be in or out, let the process work. Guess why the last FOX debate
drew so many viewers? I certainly would not bother to watch if they had 4 of
your handpicked candidates up there spewing the same stuff. No need to worry
Fred, democracy will weed it out over time. Until then, please let us plebians
make our own assessments. Take a vacation, read a book, and stop drinking
O'reillys Kool Aide, you are beginning to look like a kid kicking people out of
his sandbox. Shall I make a youtube of you doing that?

Cowlesy
09-20-2007, 11:02 AM
He's so squirrely...I can't watch him on TV.

OceanMachine7
09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
My favorite Fred Barnes moment of all time was when my Terps beat UVa's faces in in football and he had to wear a Maryland flag tie on Special Report...so sweet!

Daveforliberty
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
The Weekly Standard is THE neocon mouthpiece. It's where Hannity and Medved go to church.

It would only have been shocking had Barnes said anything other than this.

angelatc
09-20-2007, 12:30 PM

[I]"My concern about the plethora of candidates is that many of them haven't a chance of winning their party's nomination. They clutter up the race. They turn debates into uninformative cattle shows.

Please. They turn the debates into debates.

fcnz
09-20-2007, 01:10 PM
What an idiot.

JS4Pat
09-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Fred Barnes always gets under my skin.

Same here!

He just always strikes me as being such a little weasel.

Perry
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
Splotila naveki velikaya Rus'!
Da zdravstvuyet sozdanny voley narodov
Yediny, moguchy Sovetsky Soyuz!

CHORUS:
Slavsya, Otechestvo nashe svobodnoye,
Druzhby narodov nadyozhny oplot!
Partiya Lenina — sila narodnaya
Nas k torzhestvu kommunizma vedyot!

Skvoz' grozy siyalo nam solntse svobody,
I Lenin veliky nam put' ozaril,
Na pravoye delo on podnyal narody,
Na trud i na podvigi nas vdokhnovil!

CHORUS

V pobede bessmertnykh idey kommunizma
My vidim gryadushcheye nashey strany,
I krasnomu znameni slavnoy otchizny
My budem vsegda bezzavetno verny!

CHORUS

aksmith
09-21-2007, 03:47 PM
I can't even tell Fred Barnes and Kondracke apart. They're most likely twins. They disagree only over whether the Republicans are GREAT or GREATER. At least Colmes is really a liberal and not a total surrender monkey like Kondracke.

In fact, Fred Barnes may be the wrongest of all the wrongheaded folks on Faux News. Krauthammer would be a close second, then the d-bags Hannity and O'Reilly and Gibson.

ItsTime
09-21-2007, 04:03 PM
seriously Bill Clinton should not be able to debate, it is just worthless

stevedasbach
09-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't see him making the same argument (about them not resigning or announcing that they are not running for re-election) for Senators Clinton, Obama, NcCain, Biden, and Dodd.

Oh, and Ron Paul is at 4% in the most recent Gallup poll, right where John Kerry was in December 2003 (just before he won Iowa and New Hampshire). [Poll figures below from The Daily Paul]
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/2270#comments

CBS News Poll, December 14-16, 2003
Dean - 23%
Clark - 10%
Lieberman - 10%
Gephardt - 6%
Sharpton - 5%
Kerry - 4%
Edwards - 2%

This pattern can be found in any poll results from 2003/04.
USA Today, for example, had the race nationally at 26-24 Dean over Clark the week before Iowa, with Kerry at 9%.
Newsweek had the race at 24-12 Dean over Clark before Iowa.
In Quinnipiac polls, Kerry's national numbers before Iowa were at 8%.
AP polls showed Kerry in fifth place at 5% nationally heading into Iowa.
Pew showed him in fifth place with 7%.

bbachtung
09-21-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't see him making the same argument (about them not resigning or announcing that they are not running for re-election) for Senators Clinton, Obama, NcCain, Biden, and Dodd.

Oh, and Ron Paul is at 4% in the most recent Gallup poll, right where John Kerry was in December 2003 (just before he won Iowa and New Hampshire). [Poll figures below from The Daily Paul]

Dean - 23%
Clark - 10%
Lieberman - 10%
Gephardt - 6%
Sharpton - 5%
Kerry - 4%
Edwards - 2%

USA Today, for example, had the race nationally at 26-24 Dean over Clark the week before Iowa, with Kerry at 9%.

Thanks for putting things in perspective. Having Al Sharpton ahead of you when you're a sitting U.S. Senator is as humiliating as having Alan Keyes ahead of you.

Shink
09-21-2007, 06:13 PM
SORRY WE HANG ON TO THE ILLUSION OF SELF-GOVERNMENT, FREDDIE. We'll stop after you 9/11 us again, thanks.

Dary
09-21-2007, 08:58 PM
The title of the thread should be “Fred Barnes attacks "non-Mainstream" compliments, Ron Paul”

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

A Neo-Con attack on Ron Paul is a compliment.

ItsTime
09-21-2007, 09:10 PM

Dean - 23%
Clark - 10%
Lieberman - 10%
Gephardt - 6%
Sharpton - 5%
Kerry - 4%
Edwards - 2%

this means just work harder! Thank you for the info

Thurston Howell III
09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Fred Barnes and the others that have that circle jerk on the weekend, are scared to death they're gonna end up having to discuss real issues with Dr Paul. They can't stay up with him intelectually, nor can they 'control' him.

snaFU
09-22-2007, 07:56 AM
we should just elect robots for president.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
09-22-2007, 04:05 PM
If the robots win, you'll have to listen to techno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxZJYbVd1hE

Syren123
09-22-2007, 05:22 PM
we should just elect robots for president.

You mean...we haven't?

Syren123
09-22-2007, 05:25 PM
If the robots win, you'll have to listen to techno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxZJYbVd1hE

Lite Brites are AWESOME!!

Mesogen
09-22-2007, 06:57 PM

Uh, isn't Duncan Hunter also a House member?