PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's Summer Vacation in Kentucky

Austin
05-11-2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=81282020278

This is a grassroots effort to bring students from across the country to Kentucky to volunteer for the Rand Paul for Senate campaign.

There will likely be two sessions you can volunteer for, each lasting for approximately 7 days. We will be going door to door, phone banking, and rallying to show our support for Rand's campaign.

I have plans to work with the Campaign for Liberty, the Young Americans for Liberty, and the Rand Paul exploratory committee to help with funding.

If you are interested spreading the message of liberty and committed to help Rand get elected, please pledge to volunteer for him in Kentucky this summer by joining this group.

I'm super excited about this. I'm hoping this will be even more successful than the Ron Paul vacation in Iowa. It certainly has the potential to be, as long as we don't accidentally destroy the master contact list :(

Anyway, spread the group far and wide. I'm going to use it gauge support for the effort, and here soon I will be in contact with the Rand Paul campaign, along with CFL/YAL to talk logistics.

dannno
05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
as long as we don't accidentally destroy the master contact list :(

Wow... that really happened??? Really?????

spotics
05-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't have to travel to KY because I already live there:p

Austin
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Wow... that really happened??? Really?????

Well, there is a question as to whether or not it was truly accidental. There are justified theories that it was a sabotage. Either way, it was poor management by the campaign. They didn't have any backups outside of the network.

matthiasj
05-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks Krippy, I just joined the group.

He Who Pawns
05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Wow this sounds fantastic for young people to do. I might even go myself, to try to score with some college babes, but alas I am working all summer.

I remember that thing in Iowa, where Huckleberry Hound had his headquarters right next to the RP headquarters. Then those religious whackos attacked Huck's office singing "Who would Jesus bomb?"..... hahaha.

Austin
05-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't have to travel to KY because I already live there:p

If you have a facebook, make sure you join the group. :)

Wow this sounds fantastic for young people to do. I might even go myself, to try to score with some college babes, but alas I am working all summer.

I remember that thing in Iowa, where Huckleberry Hound had his headquarters right next to the RP headquarters. Then those religious whackos attacked Huck's office singing "Who would Jesus bomb?"..... hahaha.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? For some reason, I always assumed you were college age.

0zzy
05-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm not from Kentucky so I don't feel like I should do this.

Austin
05-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Might be a good time to vacation in Kentucky..;)
How do you think the locals will react?

In Iowa, there wasn't any problem with students being chased off for being out of staters or anything like that. When going door-to-door, you don't say "I'm from California and I know what's best for you!" It's all in the presentation.

In fact, most people aren't even home. Those that are home usually will give you a minute or two to talk. I encourage you to think about it 0zzy. :)

He Who Pawns
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? For some reason, I always assumed you were college age.

I'm in my mid 30s. But trust me, college babes will always look good, even in your 90s. ;)

dr. hfn
05-11-2009, 09:19 PM
This is awesome! I will try to be there! What days will it happen?

Austin
05-11-2009, 09:25 PM
This is awesome! I will try to be there! What days will it happen?

I will begin surveying members of the Facebook group after we get a decent amount of members. I'll see what days work best for the most people.

Austin
05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
We'll have to end each session with a little party!:D:D

Oh we certainly did in Iowa, although it was strictly forbidden.

Actually, I was the only one in my camp that didn't consume alcohol. :o :cool:

itshappening
05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
please be careful of infiltrators, i'm sure Mitch and the Rethugs will try something to stop us!

Austin
05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
please be careful of infiltrators, i'm sure Mitch and the Rethugs will try something to stop us!

Absolutely. I will do everything I can to assure that each person attending is of high character.

Also, multiple data backups will be performed frequently to prevent tampering.

Matt Collins
05-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I will begin surveying members of the Facebook group after we get a decent amount of members. I'll see what days work best for the most people.Can we hold up just a tad until the official announcement comes out?

Yes we should be moving forward, but let's not get the cart before the horse.

Austin
05-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Can we hold up just a tad until the official announcement comes out?

Yes we should be moving forward, but let's not get the cart before the horse.
Yes, that is the plan. I'm just testing the waters right now. Before I attempt to set anything in stone, I'm going to make correspondence with the campaign to see what they think. Also, I'm going to contact YAL National to make sure that our event does not conflict with the national meeting in DC, which is supposed to take place in either July or August.

Kraig
05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Is this only for students? I want to go, probably won't even get around to taking time off work and everything, but I'd really like to.

brandon
05-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I might actually be in for this. I graduated school a couple days ago and haven;t found a job yet. Assuming I'm unemployed when this happens I might make the drive to kentucky and bring a couple friends for the week.

Austin
05-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Is this only for students? I want to go, probably won't even get around to taking time off work and everything, but I'd really like to.

The Ron Paul campaign did limit it to students, but realistically, we will need all of the volunteers we can get. I can't say for sure yet, but I should know by early next week.

Austin
05-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I might actually be in for this. I graduated school a couple days ago and haven;t found a job yet. Assuming I'm unemployed when this happens I might make the drive to kentucky and bring a couple friends for the week.

It will absolutely be worth your time. Ask anyone who went to Iowa and they will tell you they had a blast. Plus, you pick up a lot of experience with door-to-door campaigning and phonebanking.

Oh, speaking of asking someone who went to Iowa... I went during the second session, it was very likely the best week of my life. The philosophical discussions that took place were amazing, and it was just a phenomenal time. I highly recommend you attend if you haven't found a job. :)

brandon
05-12-2009, 09:15 PM
It will absolutely be worth your time. Ask anyone who went to Iowa and they will tell you they had a blast. Plus, you pick up a lot of experience with door-to-door campaigning and phonebanking.

Oh, speaking of asking someone who went to Iowa... I went during the second session, it was very likely the best week of my life. The philosophical discussions that took place were amazing, and it was just a phenomenal time. I highly recommend you attend if you haven't found a job. :)

I will try my best!

I really wanted to go to Iowa last year but it just wasn't practical. I did goto NH for OLFOD though and that was awesome.

Kraig
05-12-2009, 09:30 PM
The philosophical discussions that took place were amazing, and it was just a phenomenal time. I highly recommend you attend if you haven't found a job.

As much good as a week of focused work of this nature would do me, that is honestly the main reason I want to go, I am starving for it.

matthiasj
05-13-2009, 06:18 AM
As much good as a week of focused work of this nature would do me, that is honestly the main reason I want to go, I am starving for it.

we're going to need all the help we can get.

TheState
05-13-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm sure we can get a group to make the trip from our Young Americans for Liberty chapter here at Ohio State.

Austin
05-13-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm sure we can get a group to make the trip from our Young Americans for Liberty chapter here at Ohio State.

Excellent. I have a feeling we may get even more people to attend than the Iowa volunteer effort, thanks to YAL. :)

Austin
05-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I've been researching the voting statistics in Kentucky, in order to help determine which areas we should target. I found that there are 5 counties that are 80% or more Republican voters. For the primary race, this is a crucial focal point. Obviously, I am not a political strategist, so if anyone knows something I don't... please fill me in. The five counties are as follows:

COUNTY ----- % R Voters --- # of Precincts
Clay ------------ 86% ---------- 16
Jackson --------- 84% ---------- 14
Leslie ---------- 86% ---------- 17
Monroe ---------- 84% ---------- 12
Union ----------- 83% ---------- 16

I'm going to update this in a few hours with more detailed information and proposed strategy. I would expand on it right now, but my next class will not have a computer available.

Work in Progress

Matt Collins
05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Krippy - send this to me when you are done. I'll fwd it on to Rand for his reading. My e-mail address is matt@ultrasonicdesigns.com

Don't Tread on Mike
05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
A Paul in both Houses video.

It has been removed by the user...

steined
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
I've been researching the voting statistics in Kentucky, in order to help determine which areas we should target. I found that there are 5 counties that are 80% or more Republican voters. For the primary race, this is a crucial focal point. Obviously, I am not a political strategist, so if anyone knows something I don't... please fill me in. The five counties are as follows:

I'm going to update this in a few hours with more detailed information and proposed strategy. I would expand on it right now, but my next class will not have a computer available.

Work in Progress

Let's keep strategic items off the "public" net. You don't think others are watching? :)

Austin
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Let's keep strategic items off the "public" net. You don't think others are watching? :)

I don't plan on divulging much further into the details here. I'm going to make a closed Google Document and permit access to only people that I've reviewed.

In the larger scheme of things, the plan doesn't really contain too much sensitive information. The data above is available on the Kentucky SOS website, I just did a few simple calculations.

I'm currently working on prioritizing our efforts all the way down to each precinct in Kentucky based on geography, demography, available housing, etc. Also, I will be implementing several techniques that Mike Rothfeld taught at the Real Politics training session. I suppose that information would be sensitive, because an opposing group could retrace our steps and do who-knows-what.

If you would like to collaborate in Google Docs, please post your email address here or PM it to me.

Matt Collins
05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
If you would like to collaborate in Google Docs, please post your email address here or PM it to me.Matt@UltraSonicDesigns.com

spotics
05-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Union County has to be wrong. Even though they usually vote Republican on the federal level, counties in the far western part of the state have a high Democratic registration.

Work in Progress

Austin
05-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Union County has to be wrong. Even though they usually vote Republican on the federal level, counties in the far western part of the state have a high Democratic registration.

You're right. I'll be sure to correct that when I make the Google Docs available. Thanks for the heads up.

Austin
05-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Now that he has announced his committee...

BUMP! :cool:

matthiasj
05-15-2009, 06:25 AM
40+ people is a good start Krippy.

Austin
05-15-2009, 07:45 AM
40+ people is a good start Krippy.

Indeed it is.

I've updated the document with an image and some more details. I'm constantly working on updating it. I should have a lot of time Sunday/Monday to flesh out almost all of the details.

itshappening
05-15-2009, 12:26 PM
keep this near the top IMO

dr. hfn
05-15-2009, 01:53 PM
i don't have facebook!

Austin
05-15-2009, 03:54 PM
i don't have facebook!

PM me your email so I can keep in contact with you.

I still recommend you join Facebook. If you don't want your personal data out there or whatever, just don't put any of it on there...

bew2005
05-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Awesome idea. I'm very excited that my own state could help play a role in restoring sound governance to the US.

I'm not sure if you are from Kentucky, but I want you to be aware that the counties you listed with a very high % of Republicans are rural counties with few voters. Working mainly in the "Golden Triangle" for these week long events will give you the most bang for your buck. From wiki: The Golden Triangle is an economic region in Kentucky which contains most of the state's population, wealth and economic growth. In 2005 the Triangle had an estimated population of 2,253,876; which is 54% of Kentucky's population on 22% of the state's land area. The area refers to the triangular shaped area outlined by Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati/NKY.

Lexington itself has ~280,000 people. Several small cities within 20 miles of Lexington may be worth looking at, too: Richmond, Nicholasville, Georgetown, Versailles, Frankfort, Paris, and Winchester all come to mind.

Louisville is large and urban with around 700,000 I believe in Jefferson County - some places near Louisville with quite a few people: Shelbyville La Grange, Elizabethtown, and Taylorsville.

One more thing: Northern Kentucky (Kenton, Boone, and Campbell Counties lie immediately across the Ohio River from Cincinnati) is quickly becoming the Republican base of the state and over 300,000 people live there. It should not be neglected.

Hope this helps and it wasn't just me rambling ;)

Austin
05-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Awesome idea. I'm very excited that my own state could help play a role in restoring sound governance to the US.

I'm not sure if you are from Kentucky, but I want you to be aware that the counties you listed with a very high % of Republicans are rural counties with few voters. Working mainly in the "Golden Triangle" for these week long events will give you the most bang for your buck. From wiki: The Golden Triangle is an economic region in Kentucky which contains most of the state's population, wealth and economic growth. In 2005 the Triangle had an estimated population of 2,253,876; which is 54% of Kentucky's population on 22% of the state's land area. The area refers to the triangular shaped area outlined by Lexington, Louisville and Cincinnati/NKY.

Lexington itself has ~280,000 people. Several small cities within 20 miles of Lexington have a few hundred thousand, too. Richmond, Nicholasville, Georgetown, Versailles, Frankfort, Paris, and Winchester are all within 20 or so minutes of Lexington.

Louisville is large and urban - some places near Louisville with quite a few people: Shelbyville La Grange, Elizabethtown, and Taylorsville.

One more thing: Northern Kentucky (Kenton, Boone, and Campbell Counties lie immediately across the Ohio River from Cincinnati) is quickly becoming the Republican base of the state and over 300,000 people live there. It should not be neglected.

Hope this helps and it wasn't just me rambling ;)

Excellent input, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I suspected geographical limitations might hinder our efforts to target Republicans. We need to find counties and areas that have dense populations, but also have a good amount of Republicans. I sincerely appreciate you pointing this out.

I'm going to conjure up a map that depicts each county and their percentage of Republican voters. I would love for you to analyze that map and nix the county's that would have low population density.

Can I get your email address? I will invite you to the private Google Doc.

Matt Collins
05-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Can I get your email address? I will invite you to the private Google Doc.Would you invite me and TruthIsTreason as well?

Austin
05-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Would you invite me and TruthIsTreason as well?

Did you get me your email address?

EDIT: Nevermind, you did on the last page. I've already invited Chris.

Austin
05-20-2009, 07:42 AM
50+ members on Facebook.

I updated the Google Document. The county plan has been revised and I'm looking for input. Give me your emails so I can invite you to the private doc.

Call Me V
05-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Hey everybody.

I live in Danville, KY.

About 30 miles away from Lexington, right in the central KY region.

I have already joined the Facebook group but I just wanted to tell you that I live by myself in a two bedroom apartment and would be willing to have people stay at my place while this thing is going on.

Austin
05-21-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey everybody.

I live in Danville, KY.

About 30 miles away from Lexington, right in the central KY region.

I have already joined the Facebook group but I just wanted to tell you that I live by myself in a two bedroom apartment and would be willing to have people stay at my place while this thing is going on.

Man, am I glad you posted this offer.... I am thinking about moving down to Kentucky for a few weeks, aside from the Summer Vacation thing. I really feel that Rand is the right person to the deliver the message. He has the right idea on how to present our ideas in a way that is acceptable to the mainstream. Just look at how he presents national defense....

Do you think I could give you maybe a couple hundred bucks+ to stay at your place for about a month? I really want to get down there ASAP and start volunteering. Feel free to PM me or just respond here. Thanks. :)

Also, can I get your email so I can invite you to the Google Document?

Call Me V
05-21-2009, 01:31 AM
Sent ya an email.

Matt Collins
06-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm hoping I get the chance to sit down with Rand sometime this month to discuss how he could utilize 60 student volunteers in July. :o
Name recognition is the biggest problem at the moment as I understand it.

We need hundreds, if not a few thousand, 2x2 signs that say "Rand Paul for Senate". They need to be plastered in solid Republican high population areas, and at every Wal-Mart in the state. That will help us with the recognition problem.

Here is a system we had worked out in Nashville in '08.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Campaign%20VI/RonPaulSignMaking1.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Campaign%20VI/RonPaulSignMaking2.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Campaign%20VI/RonPaulSignMaking3.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Campaign%20VI/RonPaulSignMaking4.jpg

Also someone else had a barn painting idea. But I don't know if we can get that lined up soon enough though. Ideally we'd want barns on major thoroughfares in and out of the heavily populated areas where commuters travel.

Young Paleocon
06-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Ask or pay farmers with property along highways to put signs on the edge of their fields. In my district they put signs across cotton trailer cages.

Umbro2914
06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
i think 2x2 signs are too small , and get annoying after a while. they seem like spam

Matt Collins
06-18-2009, 12:08 PM
i think 2x2 signs are too small , and get annoying after a while. they seem like spamThey work well in urban and suburban areas, not so good in rural areas.

PubliUS_CorneliUS_TacitUS
06-18-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm in Kentucky and have little demographic information on Western Kentucky. This might be too far for Krippy's efforts (3 hour drive from Cincy) but could be good information for the future...

That said, Western KY has a large and dedicated Catholic community. The specific counties would be Daviess (Owensboro metro), Ohio (rural), Hancock (rural), Henderson (Evansville metro), Muhlenberg (rural), Hopkins (rural), McLean (rural) and Union(rural). Though this area tends to have higher levels of Democratic registration, in a republican primary the republican voters are generally very conservative. In a general election many of the democratic voters switch sides to vote values.

Just an FYI

Hope it helps.

Also...

It would be helpful if the website featured more prominently Rand Paul's approach to the Abortion issue. I have heard a snippet on YouTube in response to a question while he was speaking in Paducah (case in point) but in Western KY he would benefit by making this information more public.

Matt Collins
06-18-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm in Kentucky and have little demographic information on Western Kentucky. This might be too far for Krippy's efforts (3 hour drive from Cincy) but could be good information for the future...

That said, Western KY has a large and dedicated Catholic community. Though this area tends to have higher levels of Democratic registration, in a republican primary the republican voters are generally very conservative. In a general election many of the democratic voters switch sides to vote values.

Thanks, I've picked up on some of this already.

This is why we need a consultant who has won races in KY previously. Someone who knows the situation on the ground, knows the internal politics, and is plugged into the State.

spotics
06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Also...

It would be helpful if the website featured more prominently Rand Paul's approach to the Abortion issue. I have heard a snippet on YouTube in response to a question while he was speaking in Paducah (case in point) but in Western KY he would benefit by making this information more public.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Even the Democrats run as pro-life in Western Kentucky. This is a major issue in Kentucky. Rand's position is the most popular in this part of the state.

Matt Collins
06-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh by the way - Publis - welcome to the forums!

PubliUS_CorneliUS_TacitUS
06-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Thank you very much. I don't have much available cash on hand with a rapidly expanding family. I will donate my Father's day gift (in cash) to Rand and volunteer as much time as I can spare.

Also, if we have any materials that we can print out I have access to some printing facilities and can print them out on the cheap.

Easy on the budgy.

Aratus
06-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Aratus says welcome! Tacitus, you have a wiki page!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus ----Welcome!----