PDA

View Full Version : My Congressman Responds to my emails about HR1207

Uriel999
05-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Dear Mr. Mclain:

Thank you for the opportunity to address this important issue with you. As a member of our North Florida family, your views are important to me. I appreciate the thoughts you have communicated.

Today we are facing some of the toughest economic times since the Great Depression. People in North Florida and all over America are struggling and becoming more and more concerned about the economy. In these times, Congress has taken action to make sure our financial system is sound. The Federal Reserve was created in 1913 to provide our nation with a stable financial system. This non partisan entity supervises the regulation of our financial institutions and influences monetary policy and credit conditions. Throughout my time in Congress I’ve always worked hard in support of fiscal responsibility and openness in government and we must continue to ensure that the Fed remains a non political entity.

H.R. 1207, Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009 would open up the Federal Reserve to an audit. This bill has been referred to the House Committee on Financial Services. I do not serve on that Committee but I will continue to track its progress as it moves forward. If it comes to the House floor for a vote I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for bringing your views to my attention and adding your voice to the ongoing debate. Please continue to write to me, and I encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter by visiting my website at www.house.gov/boyd.

Sincerely,

F. Allen Boyd, Jr.
Member of Congress

I have to say, he is very skilled at making 4 paragraphs saying absolutely nothing either way. I will say this though, after sending emails before on various topics, and getting what looked like auto responses this is the first real response I have gotten. However, all I got was smoke blown up my...well you all know the saying.

werdd
05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Kind of a shit response IMO.

dannno
05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
//

klamath
05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
He was decent enough to answer but he sure isn't going to vote for it let alone cosponser it.

Uriel999
05-11-2009, 12:44 PM
He was decent enough to answer but he sure isn't going to vote for it let alone cosponser it.

exactly, very annoying.

Theriot
05-11-2009, 01:15 PM
I got a letter from my Congressman saying that he would "keep your views in mind should this issue be brought to the House Floor for a vote." He made no mention of co-sponsoring the bill though.

I think it was one of those letters that is sent out to everyone, just the name changes.

ItsTime
05-11-2009, 01:46 PM
That was the best non-answer I have ever seen.

LittleLightShining
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Uriel, you should write or call back and let them know that you would not have taken the time to contact him if you did not know about the Federal Reserve or the bill. You took the time to contact him precisely because you understand what it is about and think it is vitally important for him to co-sponsor the bill which would significantly expand the authority of the Comptroller General in auditing the Federal Reserve's history of international financial exchanges and domestic monetary policy.

You can go on to say that since he supports fiscal responsibility and transparency he must explain to you exactly why it is that he will not co-sponsor the legislation. Do not let up on him. An audit of the Fed does not politicize it, it allows the GAO to follow the money and determine whether this institution has been faithfully and honorably carrying out its duties on behalf of the people or not.

Hiki
05-11-2009, 02:02 PM

That's such a typical politician's answer. Nothing new IMO.

Henry
05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Betchya it dies a fast death in Committee, and will never see the light of day!!:mad:

Andrew-Austin
05-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Don't worry, its this guy's job to represent you, what could go wrong.

MsDoodahs
05-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Uriel, you should write or call back and let them know that you would not have taken the time to contact him if you did not know about the Federal Reserve or the bill. You took the time to contact him precisely because you understand what it is about and think it is vitally important for him to co-sponsor the bill which would significantly expand the authority of the Comptroller General in auditing the Federal Reserve's history of international financial exchanges and domestic monetary policy.

You can go on to say that since he supports fiscal responsibility and transparency he must explain to you exactly why it is that he will not co-sponsor the legislation. Do not let up on him. An audit of the Fed does not politicize it, it allows the GAO to follow the money and determine whether this institution has been faithfully and honorably carrying out its duties on behalf of the people or not.

:D

Find out when he will be in the district, and every time he shows his face, hand out flyers and hold a sign (see Josh's badassed one in his video of McCaul).

Heck, he doesn't even NEED to be in the district.

Print up some flyers and start handing them out. Call him a COWARD for not cosponsoring.

Write on the flyer that y'all don't need a coward critter with a yellow stripe down his back, y'all need one with COURAGE OF CONVICTION.

Hand 'em out everywhere - high school football games, malls, wherever there are people.

Put the PRESSURE ON. Hold his FEET TO THE FIRE. And, make him look like a jerk.

kathy88
05-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Dear Mr. Mclain:

Thank you for the opportunity to address this important issue with you. As a member of our North Florida family, your views are important to me. I appreciate the thoughts you have communicated.

Today we are facing some of the toughest economic times since the Great Depression. People in North Florida and all over America are struggling and becoming more and more concerned about the economy. In these times, Congress has taken action to make sure our financial system is sound. The Federal Reserve was created in 1913 to provide our nation with a stable financial system. This non partisan entity supervises the regulation of our financial institutions and influences monetary policy and credit conditions. Throughout my time in Congress I’ve always worked hard in support of fiscal responsibility and openness in government and we must continue to ensure that the Fed remains a non political entity.

H.R. 1207, Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009 would open up the Federal Reserve to an audit. This bill has been referred to the House Committee on Financial Services. I do not serve on that Committee but I will continue to track its progress as it moves forward. If it comes to the House floor for a vote I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for bringing your views to my attention and adding your voice to the ongoing debate. Please continue to write to me, and I encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter by visiting my website at www.house.gov/boyd.

Sincerely,

F. Allen Boyd, Jr.
Member of Congress

I have to say, he is very skilled at making 4 paragraphs saying absolutely nothing either way. I will say this though, after sending emails before on various topics, and getting what looked like auto responses this is the first real response I have gotten. However, all I got was smoke blown up my...well you all know the saying.

Mine was almost verbatim. From a different congressman in a different state. *sigh*

werdd
05-11-2009, 04:13 PM
That's such a typical politician's answer. Nothing new IMO.

Heh, refer to my congressmans response a few months back, before he co-sponsored hr 1207.

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1207, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2009. I appreciate knowing your views.

As you know, Representative Ron Paul introduced H.R. 1207 on February 26, 2009, and it was subsequently referred to the House Financial Services Committee. As a member of this Committee, I look forward to reviewing this bill further as we conduct oversight of the Federal Reserve's actions.

In response to our nation's financial crisis, the Federal Reserve has created a number of new ways for injecting reserves, credit, and liquidity into the financial systems as well making loans to non-financial firms. Its increased involvement in our financial markets and economy has resulted in additional costs and taxpayer exposure.

I believe it is important that Congress and the taxpayers follow the actions of the Federal Reserve as well as other federal financial regulators such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. The federal government must be held accountable for the total cost and exposure put on the taxpayers, which is now in the trillions of dollars, and I have recently joined many of my colleagues in requesting additional information from the Federal Reserve on its activities. As we review the Federal Reserve's actions, please be assured I will keep your support for H.R. 1207 in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of service to you in the future. If you would like to receive updates of my actions in Congress, I send a weekly e-newsletter called "Randy's Roundup" to keep people up-to-date on the big issues facing Washington and West Texas. Many people have told me they enjoy learning what activities I have been up to on behalf of West Texans. Please visit the 19th District's website at www.randy.house.gov to sign up for the Roundup.

Sincerely,

Randy Neugebauer
Member of Congress

Bern
05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Staffers keep tallies of the mail they receive on issues. When a congressman gets enough feedback on an issue, he will start considering it. Those canned responses appear to me to just mean that they haven't gotten enough mail about the issue yet. Get more people to write, call, email or fax the guy.

Uriel999
05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Mine was almost verbatim. From a different congressman in a different state. *sigh*

Staffers keep tallies of the mail they receive on issues. When a congressman gets enough feedback on an issue, he will start considering it. Those canned responses appear to me to just mean that they haven't gotten enough mail about the issue yet. Get more people to write, call, email or fax the guy.

Damn, keep up the emails then. Arrggggg.

Kylie
05-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Same thing from my Congressman.

I don't like him anyway, so it just solidifies my opinions.

Dear :

Thank you for contacting me about the Federal Reserve. I appreciate having your comments.

Congress created the Federal Reserve Banking System with the passage of the Federal Reserve Act in 1913. Congress deliberately gave the Federal Reserve a large degree of autonomy to ensure that monetary policy is made without undue political pressure.

The Federal Reserve is responsible for setting monetary policy and regulating commercial banking activities. It does this by setting reserve requirements, approving discount rates, supervising and regulating member banks, and establishing and administering protective regulations in consumer finance. Policymakers at the Federal Reserve often consult with the President and his administration about economic and financial policy.

The Federal Reserve is a part of the government and is subject to governmental review. It reports twice a year to both the House of Representatives and the Senate, and regularly presents testimony to House and Senate committees.

I will keep in mind your views as Congress performs its oversight responsibility over the Federal Reserve.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ms

I assume that the RJD on the bottom means that they sent a copy to him. Not that he'd actually take the time to read it.

:mad:

Jace
05-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Bern
05-12-2009, 04:28 AM
These guys don't trust themselves enough to even look in the cookie jar.

Too bad they don't have the same discretion when it comes to micro managing the rest of the country/economy/private sector.

buffalokid777
05-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Betchya it dies a fast death in Committee, and will never see the light of day!!:mad:

Maybe not,

It's up to 149 co sponsors.

That's over 1/3 of the house. It definately has a chance.

buffalokid777
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
How funny, I just got my mail and there was a letter from the campaign for liberty to send to my congresswoman Louise Slaughter, and senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Chuck Schumer.

Signing and mailing out now.

The Louise slaughter one might work, same with Gillibrand.

Chucky Schumer is an elitist Globalist to the core, he'll never go for it, but I'll still send it :)

Carole
05-12-2009, 08:24 AM
In other words, thanks, but I will do as I damn please. :D:D :rolleyes:

tangent4ronpaul
05-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe not,

It's up to 149 co sponsors.

That's over 1/3 of the house. It definately has a chance.

Do they even have to vote on a bill if over half the house co-sponsors it?

Has that ever happened?

-t

buffalokid777
05-12-2009, 08:46 AM
In other words, thanks, but I will do as I damn please. :D:D :rolleyes:

Just back from the mailout. Schumer is a total piece of filth, he recieved more money from wall street than any other senator over the past 8 years. I still sent the campaign for liberty letter to him and signed it anyways, even if the dirtbag doesn't pay attention to it.

I know who his master is and it is not the people.

buffalokid777
05-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Do they even have to vote on a bill if over half the house co-sponsors it?

Has that ever happened?

-t

I really don't know.

Maybe that is when they take the yay or nay voice votes without a count? I've seen that before.

HOLLYWOOD
05-12-2009, 09:19 AM
So there's a cookie cutter, non-committal, ambiguous, evasive, response to constituents email?

Don't these clowns alway state their stances during campaigns?

Call them out... You are either for an Audit of the FED or against an Audit. If you are against an audit, explain to me why you want to mask and hide the Trillions in secretive movement of money?

Bern
05-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Guys (and gals), Congressman don't read your letters for the most part (they might forward some small percentage of all the mail the office receives - so if you want your Rep to see your letter, make sure it is thoughtful, respectful and insightful). Their staffers handle the mail. Their staffers keep track of yea or nay on the issue mentioned in the letter. The generic/canned responses are to be expected.

If you want a personal response, try visiting your Rep at his/her local office or at some town hall meeting.

When a Rep gets a high volume of mail (phone/email/fax/etc.) on an issue, they do take notice.

Conza88
05-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Reply with this: I want to see the response...

The standard reply of the Fed and its partisans is that any such measures, however marginal, would encroach on the Fed's "independence from politics" which is invoked as a kind of self-evident absolute. The monetary system is highly important, it is claimed, and therefore the Fed must enjoy absolute independence.

"Independent of politics" has a nice, neat ring to it, and has been a staple of proposals for bureaucratic intervention and power ever since the Progressive Era. Sweeping the streets; control of seaports; regulation of industry; providing social security; these and many other functions of government are held to be "too important" to be subject to the vagaries of political whims. But it is one thing to say that private, or market, activities should be free of government control, and "independent of politics" in that sense. But these are government agencies and operations we are talking about, and to say that government should be "independent of politics" conveys very different implications.

For government, unlike private industry on the market, is not accountable either to stockholders or consumers. Government can only be accountable to the public and to its representatives in the legislature; and if government becomes "independent of politics" it can only mean that that sphere of government becomes an absolute self-perpetuating oligarchy, accountable to no one and never subject to the public's ability to change its personnel or to "throw the rascals out." If no person or group, whether stockholders or voters, can displace a ruling elite, then such an elite becomes more suitable for a dictatorship than for an allegedly democratic country.

- The Case Against the Fed - Murray N. Rothbard

:eek:

Dr.3D
05-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Face it, they don't care what you want them to do about the Fed, they are only going to do what they want to do regardless.

Nothing is going to be done about the Fed!

Edit: Look at all of the letters they got about not passing the 'TARP' and 'Stimulus' packages.... did it keep them from being passed?

yokna7
05-12-2009, 11:21 AM

thats typical of email responses from politicians. In my experience they will only send you a response if it was something they were supporting anyways. If they already objected to it = no response at all. For example, write Pelosi on pro-choice bills and then write her on gun bill. The abortion letter will be in the mail, the gun letter will not be written. Not even an explanation. That translates to bad pr for them.

Uriel999
05-24-2009, 10:03 PM
So it took me a while to respond, but I hit hard, and heavy. This is the email and it includes a lot of insight from you guys here. Tell me what you guys think as I think I just provided one hell of a headache for one of Boyd's cronies:

If you truly believe in fiscal responsibility and openness in government then you would fully support the ability to audit the fed. Explain to me why you claim to support fiscal responsibility and transparency why you have not co-sponsored this bill. An audit of the Fed does not politicize it, it allows the GAO to follow the money and determine whether this institution has been faithfully and honorably carrying out its duties on behalf of the people or not. It is not The Federal Reserves money, it is the PEOPLES money and we DESERVE, no we DEMAND a FULL accounting of every last penny. You are either for an Audit of the FED or against an Audit. If you are against an audit, explain to me why you want to mask and hide the TRILLIONS of dollars in secretive movement of money?

I am fully aware what the Federal Reserve is and think it is vitally important for you to co-sponsor the bill which would significantly expand the authority of the Comptroller General in auditing the Federal Reserve's history of international financial exchanges and domestic monetary policy.

I would also like a response to this:

'The standard reply of the Fed and its partisans is that any such measures, however marginal, would encroach on the Fed's "independence from politics" which is invoked as a kind of self-evident absolute. The monetary system is highly important, it is claimed, and therefore the Fed must enjoy absolute independence.

"Independent of politics" has a nice, neat ring to it, and has been a staple of proposals for bureaucratic intervention and power ever since the Progressive Era. Sweeping the streets; control of seaports; regulation of industry; providing social security; these and many other functions of government are held to be "too important" to be subject to the vagaries of political whims. But it is one thing to say that private, or market, activities should be free of government control, and "independent of politics" in that sense. But these are government agencies and operations we are talking about, and to say that government should be "independent of politics" conveys very different implications.

For government, unlike private industry on the market, is not accountable either to stockholders or consumers. Government can only be accountable to the public and to its representatives in the legislature; and if government becomes "independent of politics" it can only mean that that sphere of government becomes an absolute self-perpetuating oligarchy, accountable to no one and never subject to the public's ability to change its personnel or to "throw the rascals out." If no person or group, whether stockholders or voters, can displace a ruling elite, then such an elite becomes more suitable for a dictatorship than for an allegedly democratic country.' The Case Against the Fed - Murray N. Rothbard

If you are a real Democrat, grab some of that same courage and conviction that Democrat Andrew Jackson gave when he destroyed the 2nd Bank of the United Sates(BUS). This is a true Democrats veto message of the BUS which is the equivalent to the Federal Reserve.

(I included the wall of text provided at this link as well http://facweb.furman.edu/~benson/docs/ajveto.htm)

Finally I would like to point out the disgusting fact this email provided was a cookie cutter email response that multiple individuals living in not only different districts, but states receive. The lack of representation and personal absenteeism in responding to the PEOPLE is appalling.

Thank you,

Adam Mclain

Uriel999
05-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh I forgot to clip in another part that asked for a real personal response via email or an appointment.

Anti Federalist
05-24-2009, 10:14 PM
I love the re-occurring theme of these responses, a paragraph of blah, blah, blah in order to explain to you, the person who wrote to them about the bill, the details of the bill.

I got an almost verbatim response from Shea/Porter in NH.

My response in a nutshell was...

Umm, I don't need a review, I know what the bill does: I, unlike most of you, actually read and understand what a bill does before supporting or opposing it.

What I need to know is why you are not co-sponsoring this much needed legislation.

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Dear Mr. Mclain:

<snippage>

Translation: Get fucked! And please vote for me in 2010.

Mesogen
05-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Why in the hell would anyone vote against it?

I mean, what legitimate (bullshit) reason could they ever give their constituents for voting NAY?

SimpleName
05-25-2009, 10:29 AM
I'd rather the guy tell me I'm nuts and he would never support such a bill than to bullshit his way through it and act like he gave a damn. At least he was being honest with me and honesty is the first step to an improved government. Such as, he is honest with me and I kick him out of his seat. lol. I've been slamming my representative (Chris Carney, PA) with about three e-mails in the last week or so. Hope he enjoys them. Spector and Casey are getting their fair share as well. I'm sure they'll love having to make up nonsense as well.

Imperial
05-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Why in the hell would anyone vote against it?

I mean, what legitimate (bullshit) reason could they ever give their constituents for voting NAY?

If you vote for this, it will destroy the Federal Reserve's ability to save us from economic collapse. Or its radical.

LittleLightShining
05-25-2009, 12:43 PM
So it took me a while to respond, but I hit hard, and heavy. This is the email and it includes a lot of insight from you guys here. Tell me what you guys think as I think I just provided one hell of a headache for one of Boyd's cronies:

If you truly believe in fiscal responsibility and openness in government then you would fully support the ability to audit the fed. Explain to me why you claim to support fiscal responsibility and transparency why you have not co-sponsored this bill. An audit of the Fed does not politicize it, it allows the GAO to follow the money and determine whether this institution has been faithfully and honorably carrying out its duties on behalf of the people or not. It is not The Federal Reserves money, it is the PEOPLES money and we DESERVE, no we DEMAND a FULL accounting of every last penny. You are either for an Audit of the FED or against an Audit. If you are against an audit, explain to me why you want to mask and hide the TRILLIONS of dollars in secretive movement of money?

I am fully aware what the Federal Reserve is and think it is vitally important for you to co-sponsor the bill which would significantly expand the authority of the Comptroller General in auditing the Federal Reserve's history of international financial exchanges and domestic monetary policy.

I would also like a response to this:

'The standard reply of the Fed and its partisans is that any such measures, however marginal, would encroach on the Fed's "independence from politics" which is invoked as a kind of self-evident absolute. The monetary system is highly important, it is claimed, and therefore the Fed must enjoy absolute independence.

For government, unlike private industry on the market, is not accountable either to stockholders or consumers. Government can only be accountable to the public and to its representatives in the legislature; and if government becomes "independent of politics" it can only mean that that sphere of government becomes an absolute self-perpetuating oligarchy, accountable to no one and never subject to the public's ability to change its personnel or to "throw the rascals out." If no person or group, whether stockholders or voters, can displace a ruling elite, then such an elite becomes more suitable for a dictatorship than for an allegedly democratic country.' The Case Against the Fed - Murray N. Rothbard

If you are a real Democrat, grab some of that same courage and conviction that Democrat Andrew Jackson gave when he destroyed the 2nd Bank of the United Sates(BUS). This is a true Democrats veto message of the BUS which is the equivalent to the Federal Reserve.

(I included the wall of text provided at this link as well http://facweb.furman.edu/~benson/docs/ajveto.htm)

Finally I would like to point out the disgusting fact this email provided was a cookie cutter email response that multiple individuals living in not only different districts, but states receive. The lack of representation and personal absenteeism in responding to the PEOPLE is appalling.

Thank you,

Adam Mclain

Fantastic! Now call his office every single day and demand a response :D

V-rod
05-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Why would they audit the FED now when they are going to have to soon dilute the money supply from all the trillons being spent on top of the old debt?