PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding chart: DOE and declining test scores

sluggo
05-11-2009, 05:46 AM
I've searched around and have been unable to locate a chart of graph that shows the decline in standardized test scores since the creation of the Department of Education.

I'm almost certain that I've seen one in this forum before, but can't seem to locate it now.

Thanks in advance!

DamianTV
05-17-2009, 06:35 AM
What does DOE stand for? Is that proof enuf?

Original_Intent
05-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Heh Department of Education if that was a serious question.

Also, it needs to be taken into account that standardized tests are not standardized - they dumbed them down to bring scores up.

DamianTV
05-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I was being sarcastic, but yes, I completely agree with you.

sluggo
05-17-2009, 05:02 PM
There's a chart that shows US students becoming less and less proficient in math and reading since the DOE's creation. I'm trying to find it because I've met a couple of teachers who are absolutely disgusted with what is happening in their schools. Trying to put together some materials to help them understand the problem.

"Standardized" was a poor choice of words.

pinkmandy
05-17-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.nifl.gov/nifl/facts/facts.html

:D

Mini-Me
05-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Heh Department of Education if that was a serious question.

Also, it needs to be taken into account that standardized tests are not standardized - they dumbed them down to bring scores up.

I don't think this is 100% true across the board though. In terms of the SAT, the 1995 recentering was strictly done to boost the average composite score back up to 1000 from around 906, but the 1974 changes were a bit more complicated: From what I can tell, it was harder to obtain good scores before 1974 (1200's, 1300's, etc.), but it became significantly more difficult to get great scores afterwards (1500's, etc.). In other words, if Ben Bernanke had taken the test a few years later, he wouldn't have managed a 1590. ;) Smaller changes are made all the time though, and they probably do make the test easier on the whole. The recent addition of a writing test changed things altogether, so I'm not sure how it affected scores other than adding another 800 possible points and making the scoring wayyyyyy more subjective. Anyway, that's just what I know of the SAT. Other standardized tests may or may not follow the general "dumbing down" pattern more closely.

angelatc
05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
This might have some useful nuggets: http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/