PDA

View Full Version : GPS question

Michael Landon
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
For my job I have a little electronical device that I need to use and carry on me while I work and it has GPS tracking capabilities. As of right now, my employer stated that it isn't functional but that doesn't mean they won't "turn it on" and start using it to track me while I work away from my office. My question is, "is there any way to block the device from sending the signal without turning it off?" Perhaps sticking it in some sort of metal box when it's not needed and only take it out when I need it. The device is about the size of a "long john" pastry.

Thanks.
- ML

HOLLYWOOD
05-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Stick in the microwave at 7/11 for 10 seconds... the same place you warm up pastries

t0rnado
05-10-2009, 12:41 PM
You would need to figure out what the frequency of the signal is and what band it transmits on. Then you could just alter a cellphone jammer to block the signals.

jbrace
05-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Lead may do the trick?

GunnyFreedom
05-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Lead may do the trick?

molten, and poured over the device set inside a big hole? ;-)

No, they actually make boxes for this and sell them commercially.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=STE2200

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/images/te/ste2200-w.gif

I don't honestly know how well the following will do:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=STP1100

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/images/hk/STP1100b-w.gif

asimplegirl
05-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Well, if it is just for work, and you don't use it any other time, I would suggest just not going anywhere you aren't supposed to, and just not worrying about it. That's life.

Leave it at work when you go home. While on the clock you kind of have to do what your bosses say...I don't see where this would hurt you while you are on the clock....if you don't think you can handle it, then quit.

GunnyFreedom
05-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, if it is just for work, and you don't use it any other time, I would suggest just not going anywhere you aren't supposed to, and just not worrying about it. That's life.

Leave it at work when you go home. While on the clock you kind of have to do what your bosses say...I don't see where this would hurt you while you are on the clock....if you don't think you can handle it, then quit.

Yeah, I agree with this. if you are on the clock, you have no business going weird places anyway. If you are off the clock, you should not have the thing with you; or then it can be stored in an RF shield.

Michael Landon
05-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I guess I should have been more specific in regards to my line of work.

I'm a letter carrier who has a scanner used to scan mail. The scanner we use to track the mail has GPS capabilities but the Postal Service, so far, hasn't used it to track us. The contract signed in agreement with the USPS and my union, the NALC, states that we are to be notified 24 hours in advance of any actual delivery supervision while out on the street delivering mail. This means that the day before our supervisors intend to walk our routes with us they are to notify us of their intention. Also, the scanner we use doesn't have to be on our person all day, but we do need to use it when scanning a package or letter or certain mailboxes. In regards to the mailboxes, there are 7 mailboxes on my route that I'm required to scan to let the USPS know when I arrived at those delivery points on my route. This is something that was agreed to by my union and the USPS to help determined, on average, how long it takes to deliver certain sections of my route. Again, I'm only required to have the scanner with me for the aforementioned purposes but I don't trust the USPS to not use the GPS tracking to have me watched at all times. As a matter of fact, my union along with the mailhandler union and the clerk union have just won a lawsuit against the Office of the Inspector General for violating our 4th amendment rights and our privacy rights. Apparently they were contacting our medical clinics and getting access to our records without our consent and directly told the clinics to keep quiet about it and to make sure they didn't notify us that they gained access to it.
Anyway, I would like to have a place to store my scanner while I'm not scanning things. I currently wear it on my hip all day and it would be really easy to track my every step.
Thanks for the suggestions.
- ML

FindLiberty
05-10-2009, 08:30 PM
our medical clinics and getting access to our records without our consent and directly told the clinics to keep quiet about it and to make sure they didn't notify us that they gained access to it.

Looking for a cancer link? (caused by this device)

Michael Landon
05-11-2009, 04:46 AM
Looking for a cancer link? (caused by this device)

No. Just pointing out that I don't trust the Postal Service to keep their word that they aren't going to track us via the scanners.

- ML

asimplegirl
05-11-2009, 06:44 AM
Well, as long as they are just tracking you while you are on the clock, don't worry about it. Leave the GPS somewhere whenever you are off the clock.