PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from MO, come protest in Hannibal

disorderlyvision
05-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Tuesday, May 19th at 10 AM a Representative from the DHS will be giving a presentation on the E-verify system that the local government agencies have to use for hiring purposes, also anyone the city contracts with will get sucked into this system. It would be a good time to protest outside or question him about their terroist list inside. Hannibal's city hall is located at 4th and Broadway. real easy to find. Come out if you can. Hannibal lacks activists, so I usually just wind up with 1-2 of my friends. It would be nice to have some more bodies there.
Thanks

Kevin

sparebulb
05-09-2009, 10:31 AM
What is this e-verifiy program about? Is it the same program that is meant to insure that an employer doesn't hire an illegal alien?

disorderlyvision
05-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, That is the program. I'm not super familiar with the E-verify thing. I'm more concerned with protesting the DHS and their BS terroist list. From what my local paper said all of the local government agencies have to use the program, and any company that contracts with the local government for over $5000 has to use the system and go to training seminars. The paper said several local contractors were not very pleased with the prospect of having to go thrugh the training and do the extra paperwork. To me, it sounds like more governmental red tape and interference in private industry, but like I said I do not know enough about it and it is not my main concern.

disorderlyvision
05-12-2009, 07:21 AM
“I’m actually happy to say the experts are on their way.”
The “experts” referred to by Hannibal City Clerk Angel Zerbonia is a representative from the federal government who will be in town Tuesday, May 19, to explain the guidelines surrounding the E-Verify program, which is intended to guarantee that new employees are in the country legally.
Zerbonia’s office has been fielding a number of questions about the new guidelines that not only impact the city, but those with which the city does business.
“We’ve gotten a lot of questions from the public. ‘What is this? What all is it about?’” said Zerbonia.
Zerbonia has made arrangements for a representative from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement branch of the Department of Homeland Security to be in Hannibal on May 19 for a two-hour meeting in which he will present information about the program and answer questions.
“This is at no cost to the city, therefore we thought we would open it up to the community as well and invite them to participate at no cost,” said Zerbonia.
Because the meeting will occur in council chambers at city hall, seating will be limited. Seating reservations may be made by calling 221-0111, extension 221. The meeting will begin at 10 a.m.
The E-Verify portion of House Bill 1549, which was passed during the 2008 session of the Missouri Legislature, took effect Jan. 1. The city has been in compliance since the program took effect, according to Zerbonia.
“We verifying that newly-hired city employees are legally authorized to work in the United States of America,” she said. “Not only does it impact the city, it impacts any business the city would award a contract to in excess of $5,000. They have to sign an affidavit and show us proof that they have enrolled in the program and they also participate, and will not employ anyone that is not legally authorized to work in the United States. It’s quite an ordeal. We are participating as required and we have to have confirmation from the contractors or business entities that they do.”
Could the program scare away potential bidders?
“I’ve got a lot of calls from contractors and business entities that have alluded to this being too much ... that it’s too big of an issue,” said Zerbonia. “It’s not that big of a deal once you do get involved. However, it does take action on your part. You do have to participate (in a training program).”
Zerbonia wants people to understand that the city could be penalized if it does not ensure compliance.
“It’s state mandated, not city, but we’re required to enforce it. It can be detrimental to the city if we didn’t participate on all levels. We could actually lose our state funding,” she said.