PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch Colbert last night?

nullvalu
09-20-2007, 07:02 AM
I literally caught the last 30 seconds, but there was a woman on there, author of the book "enemy combatant".. anyone see this, or read the book?

EvilEngineer
09-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I saw it. Her book describes the 10 steps all dictators take to come into power. She was paralleling the steps to modern day events, and she was right. She didn't get to cover them all, which is kind of making me interested to read the book.

nullvalu
09-20-2007, 07:06 AM
So was she saying Bush is going to make himself a dictator?

EvilEngineer
09-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Not necessarily bush, she mentioned Hillary.

NPursuit357
09-20-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm heading to the bookstore later today. I'll have to check it out.

RP4ME
09-20-2007, 11:52 AM
was it naomi wolf?

nullvalu
09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Yep that was her...

propanes
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
the segment is on the comedy central website

angelatc
09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
The Daily SHow, with General Clark, gave me the creeps. It seemed that Jon was preparing us all for the draft.

Dustancostine
09-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I went out and bought her new book The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Patriot, it has a great introductory quote:

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of the change in the air-however slight-lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness.

--Justice William O. Douglas

Dustancostine
09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
This is from the preface:

It is not just the young who are disconnected from democracy's tasks at just the moment the nation's freedoms are being dismantled; in my travels across the country, I have heard from citizens of all backgrounds who feel alienated from the Founder's idea that they are the ones who must lead; they are the ones who must decide and confront and draw a line. They are the ones who matter. This book is written for them.
Such citizens need the keys to, the understanding of, the Founders' radical legacy. They need to understand how despots have gone about their work. They need a primer so they and those around them can be well-equipped for the fight that lies ahead.
So that they can fight well.
So that our children may continue to live in freedom.
So that we may all.