PDA

View Full Version : Liberty-loving Gen-Yers will reshape politics - Thank you, Dr. Paul!

Lucille
05-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Via Reason: I'm Not Trying to Cause a Big S-S-S-Sensation (http://www.reason.com/blog/show/133372.html)

America's Generation Y (born between 1980 and 1995) is the first to have grown up with the Internet, which leaves it the most liberty-loving generation since the era of Andrew Jackson....Millions of Gen-Yers have grown accustomed to making purchases online tax-free. They download movies and music (much of it pirated), read their news online for free (to the detriment of print media), find recipes online and network with friends and relatives online.

In short, they love their freedom.

This love of liberty translates into a unique political composite. Gen-Yers are less nationalistic and more likely to see all politicians as corrupt than older voters. They support liberalization of drug laws and would prefer to see marijuana legalized. And they are much less likely to support restrictions on immigration than older voters. On these counts, they seem to lean left of center, at least as the political spectrum is defined today.

But they are also free-traders, much more supportive of globalization than older voters. They're optimistic, overwhelmingly believing that they can change the country for the better. And in the most recent surveys, they support proposals to privatize Social Security, which few believe will be there for them when they retire. On these counts, they seem to lean right of center.

The GOP best listen up!

Paulitical Correctness
05-07-2009, 12:41 PM
The Obama youth begs to differ, but I like your optimism.

Epic
05-07-2009, 12:47 PM
If Digg or the recent election results are any indications, we have a new generation of hardcore statist/authoritarians.

Lucille
05-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't think his authoritarianism is why they voted for him.

Besides, he's pretty much broken every campaign promise he made. The Wars of Aggression (and quite possibly a military draft) and the WoSD continue apace, his Internet Czar will not be popular, and his massive spending and economic meddling is driving us full speed ahead down the road to a Second Great Depression. They'll be lucky to have a job let alone be able to move out of their parent's house.

Give it time (http://www.shadowstats.com/article/hyperinflation)! Your pessimism is misdirected!

The Libertarian moment is nigh! (Remember what Celente forecast about a small-government, low-tax liberty party winning in '12?)

Don't infect the quantum field with the negativity, man! ;)

RonPaulwillWin
05-07-2009, 01:11 PM

Obama youth is more Gen X I believe.

Lucille
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Change.org: Obama got it wrong (http://insidetheasylum.blogsome.com/2009/05/06/changeorg-obama-got-it-wrong/)

He Who Pawns
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Obama youth is more Gen X I believe.

I don't think so. They only like Obama so much because W was such a fucking disaster with his wars and other policies. It's the washed up hippies from the Baby Boomers who are most closely tied with Obama and the Dems.

I think Gen X is very open to libertarian ideas. As are Gen Y. If you pay attention to Digg, for example, young people love libertarian ideas; they generally dislike warmongering and "social conservative" religious nonsense.

The future is extremely bright for libertarianism, if we can break free from the shackles of all these idiots, Neocons and moral hypocrites in the GOP.

heavenlyboy34
05-07-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm not putting all my hopes on Gen Y (I'm technically one of them and know many of them:eek:), but they seem more open to autarchism and libertarianism than their forebears. I like how they are often more receptive to the message than old folks, too. :D

MRoCkEd
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
www.youngamericansforliberty.org
:cool:

OhioMichael
05-07-2009, 05:00 PM

x2. That is a very good point, but we will be able to re-take the Ruplican Party.

Athan
05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Via Reason: "America's Generation Y (born between 1980 and 1995) is the first to have grown up with the Internet, which leaves it the most liberty-loving generation since the era of Andrew Jackson....Millions of Gen-Yers have grown accustomed to making purchases online tax-free. They download movies and music (much of it pirated), read their news online for free (to the detriment of print media), find recipes online and network with friends and relatives online.

In short, they love their freedom.

This love of liberty translates into a unique political composite. Gen-Yers are less nationalistic and more likely to see all politicians as corrupt than older voters. They support liberalization of drug laws and would prefer to see marijuana legalized. And they are much less likely to support restrictions on immigration than older voters. On these counts, they seem to lean left of center, at least as the political spectrum is defined today.

But they are also free-traders, much more supportive of globalization than older voters. They're optimistic, overwhelmingly believing that they can change the country for the better. And in the most recent surveys, they support proposals to privatize Social Security, which few believe will be there for them when they retire. On these counts, they seem to lean right of center."

This describes me very well. I also had the benefit of seeing PBS' Liberty's Kids when I was younger which sucked me into the Founding Fathers' personas, ideology, and struggle very early on. Since that show I went straight to being a Constitutionalists/libertarian/Paleo-conservative.

When I heard Ron Paul speak for the first time I was simply shocked that someone else was sounded like the Founding Fathers without a script and was being honest about so many facts..

dr. hfn
05-07-2009, 06:02 PM
We must keep doing what we are doing. An irate tireless minority can create an illusion of majority and change the world!

heavenlyboy34
05-07-2009, 06:04 PM
We must keep doing what we are doing. An irate tireless minority can create an illusion of majority and change the world!

I'm working on pro-liberty propaganda every chance I get! :cool::D:);)

LibertyEagle
05-07-2009, 06:25 PM

But they are also free-traders, much more supportive of globalization than older voters. They're optimistic, overwhelmingly believing that they can change the country for the better. And in the most recent surveys, they support proposals to privatize Social Security, which few believe will be there for them when they retire. On these counts, they seem to lean right of center.

You consider these good things? :confused:

Athan
05-07-2009, 06:43 PM
I think we simply need to promote globalization of free trade, not globalization of US sovereignty and our government. The Ron Paul Revolution addresses these issues in a very adequate manner.