PDA

View Full Version : Government Cracking Down on Craigslist = Crack Down on Libertarianism?

He Who Pawns
05-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I was reading an article yesterday that says dozens of States' AGs and even the federal government are planning to crack down on Craigslist for its sex classifieds, as well as other "illegal" activity, like selling steroids, etc.

In a way, Craigslist's hooker ads really are a manifestation of libertarian ideas. Open, free market, with zero regulation or taxation. BUT, as soon as one yuppie killer stangles some hooker, it's time for the government to crush Craigslist!!

So what about the thousands of hookers who get strangled and beat up in back alleys every year that have no connection to Craigslist?

I'd love to see a study showing which is safer -- Craigslist or the street corner.

acptulsa
05-07-2009, 08:06 AM
A crackdown that was just waiting for an excuse now has one.

brandon
05-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Craigslist is a haven of illegal activity. Both marijuana dealers and prostitutes openly advertise their services. And they are legit too, trust me. ;) I've always wondered how they get away with it.

heavenlyboy34
05-07-2009, 08:12 AM
viva la Craigslist! :cool: Fight back against the Imperial Inquisitors!

He Who Pawns
05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
A crackdown that was just waiting for an excuse now has one.

Yep.

Brian4Liberty
05-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Boils down to 2 issues:

1) Should "erotic services" remain criminalized? It is criminal now, so yes, they should enforce the current law. But should that law be changed? The libertarian answer is, yes, work to change the law.

2) Is Craigslist guilty of anything? These types of ads have run in cheap local papers forever, was that illegal? Craigslist provides a free public advertising space. It is not their duty, nor should they be liable for what others put on there. That would be ridiculous. There would be no way for them to prevent every single posting that may or may not result in criminal activity of some kind. It is not possible.

He Who Pawns
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Should "erotic services" remain criminalized? It is criminal now, so yes, they should enforce the current law. But should that law be changed? The libertarian answer is, yes, work to change the law.

Of course it should be legal. But even though it is not legal now, the police look the other way. It's probably a los safer than people trying to get laid by hookers in back alleys. So the police don't bother to really crack down on it, which is, de facto, a soft form of decriminalization, I suppose.

In some ways, the success of Craigslist might actually help to get these kinds of services legalized. But sadly, with one stupid high-profile case like this med student maniac, the whole idea of Craigslist gets a bad name, thanks to the mainstream media. Do they even bother to ask how many hookers get strangled in back alleys every year? No, not really. So to me, all this hooplah about cracking down on Craigslist is a short-term setback to liberty. But who knows, it might spark a larger debate.

Brian4Liberty
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
In some ways, the success of Craigslist might actually help to get these kinds of services legalized. But sadly, with one stupid high-profile case like this med student maniac, the whole idea of Craigslist gets a bad name, thanks to the mainstream media. Do they even bother to ask how many hookers get strangled in back alleys every year? No, not really. So to me, all this hooplah about cracking down on Craigslist is a short-term setback to liberty. But who knows, it might spark a larger debate.

The traditional media hates Craigslist, mostly newspapers. A lot of influential and bitter people out there want to take Craigslist down. Those people used to be the providers of "erotic service" advertising, so the issue isn't about that at all. It's simply a vendetta.

Brooklyn Red Leg
05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Of course it should be legal. But even though it is not legal now, the police look the other way.

Generally, they don't just look the other way. Alot of times they're customers. And yes, its hypocritical of the government to crack down on Craigslist. Its being done for Corporatist reasons and has nothing whatsoever to do with prostitution.

andrewh817
05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Craiglist by nature goes against the established business interests in this country. As usual, the monetary system is working against technology because when the average person has such powerful marketing tools at his fingertips, it makes many other business organizations less viable or simply impractical(i.e. Why buy from retail when you can get a used or brand new product in your area, CHEAPER, Why pay the newspaper to print ads when you can do it for free online). This idea is not limited to just Craigslist obviously and this government crackdown happens most every time people want to be independent from society.

So yes this is a crack down on free enterprise (the libertarian way to do business)