PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted: Local GOP is looking for "common ground"

bigronaldo
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I was just going to solicit some suggestions for an GOP Executive Committee Meeting that will focus on where the GOP is going and how they can find common ground with the "Ron Paul faction."

My focus will probably be on the Constitution. If they would just adhere to it strictly, then that would be our common ground (just like here on the RPF). We may have disagreements on marriage, drugs, etc., but as long as they recognize Constitutional limits and state's rights, it should be a better party.

Also, I was thinking of introducing a "pledge" that all candidates the GOP endorses must take. Basically saying that they will follow the Constitution, otherwise they will lose their public endorsement from the Republican Party.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any other suggestions. Thanks!

acptulsa
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Throw them for a loop and mention strong defense. Tell them that as long as it's used for defense, not imperialism, we're all for it. Remind them how that fits into Christian philosophy and Jesus' teachings.

Actually, we have more common ground than not--far more. The only difference is how completely we stick to principle. Show them some World War II propaganda films and make them realize that we are where they came from--and they had no good reason to leave.

slacker921
05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Tell them to follow their state platforms, and you shouldn't have too many problems!

The problem is... they'll say they're sticking to their state platform and are following the Constitution and then turn around and support The Patriot Act or some other BS coming from the neoconservatives.

Bush told us he would follow the Constitution and he didn't. If they want some common ground maybe they should look at dropping the "W" worshiping and acknowledge that he and his buddies used the Constitution for toilet paper and handed Obama a government where the President has FAR more power than we would like.

Bern
05-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I was just going to solicit some suggestions for an GOP Executive Committee Meeting that will focus on where the GOP is going and how they can find common ground with the "Ron Paul faction."

It helps if they actually let people speak and start listening It helps if they focus on principles and not party.

angelatc
05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Economics. Small government. Low Taxes. Stay away from foreign policy until you're the chairman. :)

slacker921
05-06-2009, 01:18 PM
oh.. . and ask them how safe they feel with our border sitting wide open... it could be secured if our military wasn't off chasing boogeymen around in the Middle East.

I care about defending the US - the neoconservatives care about defending Israel. Who does your local GOP care about?

Elwar
05-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I was just going to solicit some suggestions for an GOP Executive Committee Meeting that will focus on how the GOP can get the votes of the "Ron Paul faction" without needing to change their underlying principles.

fixed it for ya

Isaac Bickerstaff
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
The suggestion I brought up at my executive committee meeting was property rights. This needs to be the focus of all local elections. The balance is always pollution verses property rights, but by taking the "pollution is aggression" position, we have just captured the entire issue.

Once we have people talking about private property, the rest falls into place.

acptulsa
05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
fixed it for ya

Yeh.

Our common ground is our principles. When they leave that ground, we no longer have their backs. They'll just have to deal with that.

Tell them the common ground is the platform. There's only a problem when we stand on it, and they hide behind it.

heavenlyboy34
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Throw them for a loop and mention strong defense. Tell them that as long as it's used for defense, not imperialism, we're all for it. Remind them how that fits into Christian philosophy and Jesus' teachings.

Actually, we have more common ground than not--far more. The only difference is how completely we stick to principle. Show them some World War II propaganda films and make them realize that we are where they came from--and they had no good reason to leave.

We are? :eek::confused: I'm not! Privatized defense FTW! :cool::D:)

acptulsa
05-06-2009, 02:07 PM
We are? :eek::confused: I'm not! Privatized defense FTW! :cool::D:)

When you register Republican, I'll worry about you getting represented to the other Republicans, 'kay?

bigronaldo
05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys! We have about 9 or 10 people on the committee, so hopefully it goes well. I'll pass these suggestions along!