PDA

View Full Version : Video: Things to Come (1936) by H.G. Wells

ourlongroad
05-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Things to Come (1936)
by H.G. Wells & William Cameron Menzies
What will the next hundred years bring to mankind?

Dailymotion - Things To Come - a Film & TV video (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x86s8i_things-to-come_shortfilms)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028358/
A story of 100 years: a decades-long second world war leaves plague
and anarchy, then a rational state rebuilds civilization and tries space travel.

ourlongroad
05-05-2009, 02:39 PM
We're told we have the following choices (One World dialectics)...

One World or Terror(ism)
One World or None
One World or War
One World or Famine
One World or Nature Dies
One World or Humanity Ends
One World or Chaos

But then they tell us....

War = Progress
War = $

silverhawks
05-05-2009, 02:48 PM
The Shape of Things to Come (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shape_of_Things_to_Come):

The Shape of Things to Come is a work of science fiction by H. G. Wells, published in 1933, which speculates on future events from 1933 until the year 2106. It is not a novel, but rather a fictional history book or chronicle, similar in style to Star Maker and Last and First Men, both by Olaf Stapledon.

The book is dominated by Wells's belief in a world state as the solution to mankind's problems. Wells successfully predicted the Second World War, although he envisaged it dragging on into the 1960s, being finally ended only by a devastating plague that almost destroys civilization. Wells then envisages a benevolent dictatorship - 'The Dictatorship of the Air' (a term obviously modeled on 'The Dictatorship of the proletariat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictatorship_of_the_proletariat)') - arising from the controllers of the world's surviving transportation systems (the only people with global power). This dictatorship promotes science, enforces Basic English as a global lingua franca, and eradicates all religion, setting the world on the route to a peaceful utopia. When the dictatorship finds it necessary to kill political opponents, the condemned persons are given a chance to emulate the ancient philosophers Socrates and Seneca and take a poison tablet in a congenial environment of their choice.

Eventually, after a century of re-shaping humanity, the dictatorship is overthrown in a completely bloodless coup, the former rulers are sent into a very honourable retirement, and the world state "withers away" as was predicted by Friedrich Engels in his 1877 work Anti-Duhring. The last part of the book is a detailed description of the Utopian world which emerges, in some ways reminiscent of Edward Bellamy's Looking Backward. The ultimate aim of this utopian world is to produce a world society composed entirely of Polymaths, each and every one of tis members the intellectual equal of the greatest geniuses of the past.

tonesforjonesbones
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I posted H G Well's link to his book "New World Order" on here and not one person clicked on it...that's really a shame. tones

sevin
05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
I posted H G Well's link to his book "New World Order" on here and not one person clicked on it...that's really a shame. tones

I bookmarked it. I'll be reading it as soon as I finish the book I'm on.

InterestedParticipant
05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Watching an old classic like this really clearly demonstrates how fear is used to manipulate the public, to acquiesce into the demands of governing classes. The goal is clearly to push us into their idea of a One World Oligarchy, and they are going to continue to threaten us and make our lives miserable until we comply. The problem is, there really is no end to this patch.

humanic
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Excerpt from Secret Societies and Hidden Agendas by G. Edward Griffin (Part 2 of his series of essays entitled The Future Is Calling (http://www.theendrun.com/the-future-is-calling))

H.G. Wells wrote a book to serve as a guide showing how collectivism can be embedded into society without arousing alarm or serious opposition. It was called The Open Conspiracy, and the plan was spelled out in minute detail. His fervor was intense. He said that the old religions of the world must give way to the new religion of collectivism. The new religion should be the state, he said, and the state should take charge of all human activity with, of course, elitists such as himself in control. On the very first page, he says: “This book states as plainly and clearly as possible the essential ideas of my life, the perspective of my world…. This is my religion. Here are my directive aims and the criteria of all I do.”

When he said that collectivism was his religion, he was serious. Like many collectivists, he felt that traditional religion is a barrier to the acceptance of state power. It is a competitor for man’s loyalties. Collectivists see religion as a device by which the clerics keep the downtrodden masses content by offering a vision of something better in the next world. If your goal is to bring about change, contentment is not what you want. You want discontentment. That’s why Marx called religion the opiate of the masses. It gets in the way of revolutionary change. Wells said that collectivism should become the new opiate, that it should become the vision for better things in the next world. The new order must be built on the concept that individuals are nothing compared to the long continuum of society, and that only by serving society do we become connected to eternity. He was very serious.

The blueprint in The Open Conspiracy has been followed in all the British dependencies and the United Sates. As a result, today’s world is very close to the vision of H.G. Wells. A worship of the god called society has become a new religion. No matter what insult to our dignity or liberty, we are told it’s necessary for the advancement of society, and that has become the basis for contentment under the hardships of collectivism. The greater good for the greater number has become the opiate of the masses.

tonesforjonesbones
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I read H G Wells "New World Order" one morning over cawfee..it's a short tome..but skeeery. tones