PDA

View Full Version : Quotes about Liberty by José Martí, Cuban Freedom Fighter

philipsantamaria
09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Hope you all like these and are inspired by them. Since I'm Cuban-American, I thought I would share what this brilliant man had to say about the ideal we all hold so high.

"As the bones to the human body, the axle to the wheel, the wing to the bird, the air to the wing, so is liberty the essence of life. Whatever is done without it is imperfect."

"Only oppression should fear the full exercise of freedom."

"Anyone who offends the sacred freedom of our adversaries is reprehensible, and more so if he or she does it in the name of freedom."

"A good rider should not let go the reins of his horse, nor a free man his rights. It is true that it is easier to be led than to lead, but it is also more dangerous."

"There is no forgiveness for acts of hatred. Daggers thrust in the name of Liberty are thrust into Liberty's Heart."

"Where there is enlightened Liberty not even age-old angers can sink in their teeth and raise storms. Rather, they melt and crumble, like a comet in its collision with the sun. The steed of Liberty was born with a bridle."

"Liberty is not a banner in whose shadow the victors devour the vanquished and overwhelm them with untiring rancour; Liberty is a robust madwoman whose father, the sweetest of fathers, is love, and whose mother, the richest of mothers, is peace."