PDA

View Full Version : DHS "Domestic Extremism Lexicon": Whites, Blacks, Christians, Jews, Cubans

JP2010
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/05/homeland-pulled-back-extremism-dictionary/

The same Homeland Security Department office that categorized veterans as potential terrorists issued an earlier report that defined dozens of "extremists" ranging from black power activists to abortion foes. The report was nixed within hours and recalled from state and local law enforcement officials.

Whites and blacks, Christians and Jews, Cubans and Mexicans, along with tax-hating Americans were among several political leanings listed in the "Domestic Extremism Lexicon" that came out of the Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) in late March.

The lexicon lists definitions for key terms and phrases used by Homeland Security analysts "that addresses the nature and scope of the threat that domestic, non-Islamic extremism poses to the United States," the report said.

More at the link, as well as this pdf download (http://video1.washingtontimes.com/video/lexicon.pdf)

JP2010
05-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Holy crap, I'm reading the pdf download.

Listed are "lawful acts of civil disobedience, ranging from protests..."

militias

sovereign citizen

ItsTime
05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
They are getting ready for a lock down. Be prepared.

hillertexas
05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/05/maverick-dhs-office-issues-dictionary-domestic-extremist-groups/

'Maverick' DHS Office Issues Glossary of Domestic Extremist Groups

The Office of Intelligence and Analysis uses a broad brush to define dozens of supposedly extremist ideologies inside the United States, in a report called "Domestic Extremism Lexicon," which was withdrawn within hours after its release in March.

FOXNews.com
Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Department of Homeland Security is reining in a "maverick" division of the agency following criticism of a report it issued that details domestic "extremists" ranging from anti-tax movements to pro-environment groups, a DHS official told FOX News on Tuesday.

The report, released in March and recalled within hours, was on top of a controversial document the same office produced last month that said U.S. veterans were ripe for recruitment by terrorist groups.

The quickly withdrawn report, titled the "Domestic Extremism Lexicon," comes from the department's Office of Intelligence and Analysis, the same unit that produced the report on right-wing extremists recruiting vets. The document, first uncovered by The Washington Times, uses a broad brush to define terms used when analyzing dozens of supposedly extremist ideologies inside the United States.

They cover: Jewish extremists, animal rights extremists, Christian identity extremists, black separatism extremists, anti-abortion extremists, anti-immigration extremists, anti-technology extremists, Cuban independence extremists and tax resistance extremists, to name a few.

Department spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said the report was not authorized and is not being used.

"The lexicon was not an authorized I&A product, and it was recalled as soon as management discovered it had been released without authorization," Kudwa said. "Since this happened prior to our last experience, our new internal protocols were obviously not in place. Even so, this product is not, nor was it ever, in operational use."

The Homeland Security official who spoke to FOX News said the office that released the report had taken on a "maverick" attitude by acting without authorization and is now being "reined in."

In addition to the report on right-wing threats issued last month -- for which DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano apologized -- DHS detailed left-wing threats in a similar report released in January.

The "Domestic Extremism Lexicon" covers ideologies across the spectrum.

An explanation at the top of the document claims the glossary is meant to provide "definitions for key terms and phrases that often appear in DHS analysis that addresses the nature and scope of the threat that domestic, non-Islamic extremism poses to the United States."

The authors wrote "that DHS/I&A intends this background information to assist federal, state, local, and tribal homeland security and law enforcement officials in conducting analytic activities."

The definitions are rather broad and apparently raised flags within the department.

According to the document, for example, tax resistance extremists are people who "vehemently believe taxes violate their constitutional rights ... Members (of this group) have been known to advocate or engage in criminal activity and plot acts of violence and terrorism in an attempt to advance their extremist goals."

The top of the document also defines "alternative media" as something sinister -- though the term is commonly used to describe blogs and popular publications like New York's Village Voice.

"Alternative media" is "a term used to describe various information sources that provide a forum for interpretations of events and issues that differ radically from those presented in mass media products and outlets," the report says.

The report also covers domestic groups more commonly referred to as extremist, like neo-Nazis.

Click here to read the extremism report.

FOX News' Catherine Herridge contributed to this report.

Cowlesy
05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Extremism, in the defense of liberty, is no vice. Moderation, in the pursuit of justice, is no virtue." -- Barry Goldwater

I always think of that quote when regular folk are labeled as "extremists".

roho76
05-05-2009, 01:06 PM
So everybody except the government are terrorists? Got it.

SWATH
05-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Ah yes the anti-tax extremist, those insane people who do not want the government stealing their wealth.

They left out the pro-government extremists and the pro-tax extremists, those who advocate theft and violence against the citizens of this country. Except that would include virtually everyone in government, at least everyone in this administration.

ChristopherJ
05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm not saying I agree with what the gov't is saying but honestly what does everyone expect? Of course they're going to label anyone who they perceive to be a threat to their authority an extremest or possible homegrown terrorist.

The list is so broad it includes about half the population lol.

This is pure propaganda meant to quell any anti-government movements which they see as a rapidly growing threat. They probably leaked these reports themselves.

constituent
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
YouTube - Beastie Boys- Sabotage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sbqIyeed4g)

eOs
05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
hell yea its sabaaatoooge!

nate895
05-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Extremism, in the defense of liberty, is no vice. Moderation, in the pursuit of justice, is no virtue." -- Barry Goldwater

I always think of that quote when regular folk are labeled as "extremists".

You stole my sig!!!!