PDA

View Full Version : 45+ and feeling less energetic - you might have a condition

BlackTerrel
05-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Watching the Lakers game and saw a commercial that I had to comment on. I'm sure it's aired more than once but I don't watch that much TV.

The commercial starts with an older looking guy and a voiceover that says "45 years and older - feeling less energetic than you used to, you get tired more often, seem more sluggish? You might have a condition called..." I forget what they called the condition but it gave a phone number and an internet address where you can get more information.

Now I'm not a doctor but I believe the condition is called "getting fucking older". It happens to everyone and it's natural. I'm in my 20's and I have less energy than I did 10 years ago - that's life.

They're turning everything into a condition now. Making lots of money and creating a generation that is over medicated and everyone thinks they're sick. I posted a thread a month ago when I heard the statistic that 1 out of 5 Americans is disabled. Is it any wonder? I'm curious if 45+ year olds who have less energy than they did 20 years ago are considered disabled by this criteria?

Kludge
05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Ack, I never thought of progressively losing energy as I age...

Does that mean I really am destined to become one of those boring old bald fellows who mumble incoherently?

max
05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
W

The commercial starts with an older looking guy and a voiceover that says "45 years and older - feeling less energetic than you used to, you get tired more often, seem more sluggish? You might have a condition called..." I forget what they called the condition but it gave a phone number and an internet address where you can get more information.

Now I'm not a doctor but I believe the condition is called "getting fucking older". It happens to everyone and it's natural. I'm in my 20's and I have less energy than I did 10 years ago - that's life.

What are they gonna prescribe?....speed?.....lol

thats almost as bad as those "ED" ads with some 70 year old dude whose cock ain't exactly the Eifel tower anymore.......no shit! ....he's friggin 70 years old!

God...this country is so done

puppetmaster
05-04-2009, 11:04 PM
LOL I saw that today also...."lowT" or something....its just lower Testosterone levels and they are selling some roids!

LATruth
05-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

BlackTerrel
05-05-2009, 12:08 AM
LOL I saw that today also...."lowT" or something....its just lower Testosterone levels and they are selling some roids!

Yep that was it! LowT

brandon
05-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Watching the Lakers game and saw a commercial that I had to comment on. I'm sure it's aired more than once but I don't watch that much TV.

They're turning everything into a condition now. Making lots of money and creating a generation that is over medicated and everyone thinks they're sick. I posted a thread a month ago when I heard the statistic that 1 out of 5 Americans is disabled. Is it any wonder? I'm curious if 45+ year olds who have less energy than they did 20 years ago are considered disabled by this criteria?

Astute observation, and I completely agree.

I first realized this when I was 8 years old and I liked to play with my friends more than doing my homework, so my mother took me to a doctor who said It would be a good idea if I took methamphetamines everyday to treat some imaginary "condition" called "ADD"

John of Des Moines
05-05-2009, 04:19 AM
If you want energy find a coke dealer.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
05-05-2009, 04:24 AM

What if you prefer Pepsi?

angelatc
05-05-2009, 04:26 AM

So is cancer. Would you just live with that?

I can assure you that in your 20's you have no idea what you're talking about. I have arthritis. Should I just give up on treatments and relegate myself to a wheelchair because I am getting fucking older?

If getting fucking older means the body stops producing a chemical simply because it's getting fucking older, but taking a supplement or a drug makes a person feel less tired (or fucking younger or just better) then the the fuck do you care? You can't be happy if somebody finds something that makes them feel better? It has no bearing on you. At least, it shouldn't have.

Old isn't stupid. Drugs do indeed make people feel better. It is our money and we will spend it where we want to. Live with it.

Objectivist
05-05-2009, 04:38 AM

I'll be 46 soon and ran five miles in 40 minutes...... I'm a little tired so I can always take a combat nap after I run.

phill4paul
05-05-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm curious if 45+ year olds who have less energy than they did 20 years ago are considered disabled by this criteria?

I believe I'm close enough to 45 to comment. Less energy? Occasionally. Disabled? Hardly!

I couldn't even begin to calculate the miles I walk/jog doing lawn care daily. Then in the spring it's time to get in the garden after work. Then there are the projects I help friends out with. Roofing and a porch are two of the latest. On the occasions were I am not to busy to notice I have less energy I take that as time to catch up on some reading.
There is nothing wrong with "down" time as long as it is not habitual.

Kludge
05-05-2009, 04:56 AM
My grandpa is going to be 70 years old next year and he cut down (and cut up) two large hardwood trees with a chainsaw and burned them by himself a few days ago.

noxagol
05-05-2009, 05:06 AM
My friend's grandfather killed a 25foot alligator with a 2x4 and he is like 90 (not even a joke, this family is hard core tough, and this guy lives in southern Florida, hence the alligator).

Objectivist
05-05-2009, 05:26 AM
My GF is a former stripper who I've been with for ten years and she's only 33. I must have something going on:D

Conza88
05-05-2009, 05:31 AM

What if you prefer Pepsi?

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604349573835780-sniffingcoke.jpg

:D

acptulsa
05-05-2009, 05:54 AM
Macrochronological Anemia Syndrome! :eek: :eek:

It's eventually fatal, too! A progressive wasting disease! No cure! Run while you still can!!

See your drug dea--er, doctor and get lots of nasty chem--er, pharmaceuticals!

Warning pharmaceuticals will leave you feeling like $#!+ if you ever stop taking them and will almost certainly hasten the onset of death

BlackTerrel
05-05-2009, 04:32 PM
So is cancer. Would you just live with that?

I can assure you that in your 20's you have no idea what you're talking about. I have arthritis. Should I just give up on treatments and relegate myself to a wheelchair because I am getting fucking older?

If getting fucking older means the body stops producing a chemical simply because it's getting fucking older, but taking a supplement or a drug makes a person feel less tired (or fucking younger or just better) then the the fuck do you care? You can't be happy if somebody finds something that makes them feel better? It has no bearing on you. At least, it shouldn't have.

Old isn't stupid. Drugs do indeed make people feel better. It is our money and we will spend it where we want to. Live with it.

Arthritis and cancer are conditions that affect the people that have them in a way that is different than the rest of the population.

A commercial that states "are you 45 years or older and have less energy than you did 20 years ago" effects every single person on the planet. To make all these people believe that they have a condition and need drugs isn't healthy.

ChaosControl
05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Actually it isn't just about getting older, generally people are probably less active as well.
You can have just as much energy at 45 as you do in your 20s if you properly exercise. That doesn't just mean exercising though, it means exercising in a way that is most beneficial and eating right too.

But yes, we do over medicate. The condition is eating poorly and lack of exercise.

A. Havnes
05-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I think doctors are one day going to come out and say that aging is a medical condition that is covered by insurance.

paulitics
05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
The food is making us sicker. Many GMO foods are toxic to the digestive system because humans have not adapted to them yet. In essence, when something (perhaps a protein unrecognized) is not digested properly it becomes toxic and creates a reaction from the auto-immune system.

A intolerence to GMO foods become insidious because the body actually attacks itself slowly without the person knowing it. This in turn causes all kinds of health problems leading to cancers, arthritis, fatigue. Most illnesses today are chronic from an overactive immune system, where the body attacks itself. This is a fact you will never hear discussed because companies like Monsanto are in bed with the government. It is also a major reason why people are instinctively switching to organic foods as much as possible.

devil21
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Interesting thread. Nice to see a non-racially motivated post by you Terrel and a good one no less. I think there's several angles to your observation. None more valid than the others but all lead to your observation.

One being that while yes people are getting older, people also arent taking as good a care of themselves as they once did. Fresh fruit, veggies and meat meals have been replaced by hormone laden Big Mac and fries. Exercise and activity is way, way down from even 20 years ago. People are fatter, therefore they are slower and tired faster. The most exercise many get is the trips back and forth to the fridge and the bathroom during commercial breaks. The near exponential rise in obesity in this country during that 20 years is a testament to these things. People would rather take a pill to "fix a problem" than simply admit they are lazy fat asses and start eating better and exercising more. Age really doesn't have much to do with it.

Second, a little more sinister is that people need to be conditioned into voluntarily taking whatever pill a doctor hands them. Hence why everything is a "condition" now. If eugenics were to taken up a notch how many people would quickly and without question swallow whatever the doctor hands them? Probably most people. When they purposely make everything a medical problem, even if no problem exists (like the ADD mentioned above) it removes people's own personal responsibility to address their issues. They start to rely solely on a doctor. Easier to just take a pill for it. Nevermind the nasty side effects of many of these needless drugs.

Third and most obvious is simple collusion between big pharma, big insurance, and big medicine. The more pills they can concoct, the more sales they get, the more insurance companies charge in premiums, and the more all expense paid (by big pharma) trips to Hawaii that the doctor and his wife get. The actual patient is the last of the concerns. Observe how medications sold in the US cost substantially less in other countries. That's the profit motive at work. Im all for profiting from a business but not by needlessly doping people on unproven drugs for the sake of doing it. I recently saw what medication can do if prescribed to someone that shouldn't take it. No tests to determine safety were done (though the tests DO exist). An 18 year old girl is lucky to walk away with her life after her ordeal with a birth control drug that nearly killed her.

Bill M DC
05-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Ack, I never thought of progressively losing energy as I age...

Does that mean I really am destined to become one of those boring old bald fellows who mumble incoherently?

What was that?:D

KenInMontiMN
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Just think of it as a phase you'll go through, part of the checkout process. :D

asimplegirl
05-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Astute observation, and I completely agree.

I first realized this when I was 8 years old and I liked to play with my friends more than doing my homework, so my mother took me to a doctor who said It would be a good idea if I took methamphetamines everyday to treat some imaginary "condition" called "ADD"

Oh, God, I know.... I "had" ADHD, and was put on Ritalin, until it made me act WORSE. LOL..

It OBVIOUSLY had nothing to do with the fact that my mom was a freakazoid who wouldn't let me play outside, play with anything inside, wouldn't let me talk, touch anything in fear I would get it dirty, etc... nah, I couldn't have just been a kid who had no way to expend energy at home, so I was constantly staring off, daydreaming, singing to myself, etc., and when allowed to school didn't give two shits who told me what because I was free... NAH... I was "disabled".

BlackTerrel
05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Interesting thread. Nice to see a non-racially motivated post by you Terrel and a good one no less. I think there's several angles to your observation. None more valid than the others but all lead to your observation.

As long as you don't direct me to davidduke.com to make your point I think we'll be alright :)

One being that while yes people are getting older, people also arent taking as good a care of themselves as they once did. Fresh fruit, veggies and meat meals have been replaced by hormone laden Big Mac and fries. Exercise and activity is way, way down from even 20 years ago. People are fatter, therefore they are slower and tired faster. The most exercise many get is the trips back and forth to the fridge and the bathroom during commercial breaks. The near exponential rise in obesity in this country during that 20 years is a testament to these things. People would rather take a pill to "fix a problem" than simply admit they are lazy fat asses and start eating better and exercising more. Age really doesn't have much to do with it.

Age has something to do with it. But I agree that less exercise and unhealthy eating are key contributors as well.

Second, a little more sinister is that people need to be conditioned into voluntarily taking whatever pill a doctor hands them. Hence why everything is a "condition" now. If eugenics were to taken up a notch how many people would quickly and without question swallow whatever the doctor hands them? Probably most people. When they purposely make everything a medical problem, even if no problem exists (like the ADD mentioned above) it removes people's own personal responsibility to address their issues. They start to rely solely on a doctor. Easier to just take a pill for it. Nevermind the nasty side effects of many of these needless drugs.

It's about money. ADD is a real condition. I have a friend who was diagnosed with it at an older age and it basically saved his life. He couldn't function in society, and aderol allowed him to turn his life around. That said it is WAY over-prescribed, absurdly so. Most of the people that get the medication are just normal kids with bundles of energy (that's what kids are supposed to have).

For all I know this "Low-T" thing is the same. There may be people who really have this condition and for these people I want them to get help. It's the advertising and market positioning that I have a problem with. They're basically positioning this as a product for older people who have less energy than they did when they were young. That encompasses almost everybody - including healthy people - and convincing them they have a condition. It's ethically wrong, and it goes on all the time - this is just one example.