PDA

View Full Version : Next Generation 9-1-1 System

LATruth
05-04-2009, 03:36 PM
The Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1) Initiative is a research and development project funded by the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) to define the framework and plan to deploy Internet Protocol (IP)-based emergency communications across the nation. The project has helped to define the concept of operations, functional requirements, and system architecture, and to develop a transition plan that considers implementation costs, values, and risks.

The Nation's current 9-1-1 system is designed around telephone technology and cannot handle the text, data, images and video that are increasingly common in personal communications and critical to future transportation safety and mobility advances. The Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG 9-1-1) initiative will establish the foundation for public emergency communications services in a wireless mobile society.

The NG9-1-1 Transition Plan and the NG9-1-1 Final System Design have been released and can be accessed below:

https://www.rkb.us/contentdetail.cfm?content_id=215166

Reason
05-04-2009, 06:42 PM
i've always wondered what would happen if you text messaged 911 :confused:

GBurr
05-04-2009, 06:45 PM
They are kidding right. Everyone has phones. The current system works fine. So they are going to spend millions so that you can send a video to 911.

I've come to expect crap like this.

akihabro
05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Strange. I would never think of sending a text, video or picture to 9-11.

akihabro
05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
i've always wondered what would happen if you text messaged 911 :confused:

The Feds will break down your door and take you hostage under the Patriot Act because you tried to hack into the computer system.

BlackTerrel
05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
They are kidding right. Everyone has phones. The current system works fine. So they are going to spend millions so that you can send a video to 911.

I've come to expect crap like this.

I could see situations where sending a picture would come in handy. Depending on cost though.

sevin
05-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Strange. I would never think of sending a text, video or picture to 9-11.

I guess you could send in a video of someone attacking/murdering you. Or if there are burglars in your house you could run around hiding in the dark with the video, kinda like Blair Witch Project in a house or something. You: "I. am. so. scared." Operator: "Stay on the line. The police are on the way." Should make life more interesting for 911 operators.

acptulsa
05-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Instead of dialing and talking in an emergency, surf, wait for it to load, point, click and type? Well all rightie then!

Even if you want to send a picture of a suspect vehicle you're better off using your phone. They'll get a better pic with your fine digital camera and your computer, but not until the perpetrator's two counties away.

Of course, it could make it even easier for them to track your surfing--or sell the idea of requiring GPS in every laptop to supplement that in every cell phone (every one newer than mine, that is ;))