PDA

View Full Version : Bunning out "possibly as soon as Saturday"

RonPaulFanInGA
05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0509/Bunning_skips_Kentucky_Derby.html

Sen. Jim Bunning skipped the Kentucky Derby this weekend, an unusual move for a Kentucky Republican supposedly running for reelection next year.

The derby is an important event for politicians in the state to rub elbows with well-heeled fundraisers and meet with voters throughout the state.

Bunning’s decision to stay in Washington instead is certain to boost speculation that Bunning is setting the stage for his retirement from the upper chamber. Last week, word leaked out that Bunning gave the blessing to Republican Secretary of State Trey Grayson to form an exploratory committee in advance of a potential Senate run.

Grayson has said he would only run if Bunning retired, and many Republicans saw the move as a precursor for Bunning to announce his retirement – possibly as soon as Saturday when the state Republican Party holds its annual dinner.

A Bunning spokesperson has said that Bunning is still in the running for next year, but with his poor fundraising, poll numbers and lack of national GOP support, many believe he is on his way out.

bucfish
05-04-2009, 10:07 AM
The suspense is building!!!

Austin
05-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I would be amazing if Bunning dropped out and endorsed Rand, since he's been showing so much class about the whole thing.

Won't happen, but it would be cool.

slacker921
05-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I would be amazing if Bunning dropped out and endorsed Rand, since he's been showing so much class about the whole thing.

Won't happen, but it would be cool.

fta:
Last week, word leaked out that Bunning gave the blessing to Republican Secretary of State Trey Grayson to form an exploratory committee in advance of a potential Senate run.

If a neoconservative ever rolls over and puts a real conservative on the ticket then pigs will fly.

Matt Collins
05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Absolutely fascinating. I have to wonder if this is speculation or if there is an inside source here?