PDA

View Full Version : WP: Calif.'s Harman Rails Against Wiretapping That Ensnared Her

Bradley in DC
05-04-2009, 05:14 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/03/AR2009050301875.html

Calif.'s Harman Rails Against Wiretapping That Ensnared Her

By Mary Beth Sheridan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 4, 2009
Rep. Jane Harman vowed yesterday to clear her name after the revelation of a wiretapped conversation in which she reportedly agreed to intervene in the federal investigation of two pro-Israel lobbyists in exchange for help in getting a coveted congressional post. . .

Harman has described the wiretap as an abuse of government power. But sources have told The Washington Post that she was not being surveilled; the tapped phone belonged to the suspected Israeli agent, who happened to talk to her.

"I will not quit on this until I am absolutely sure this can never happen to anyone else," Harman told the AIPAC audience, which warmly applauded her. She said the incident was having "a chilling effect" on members of Congress who "care intensely about the U.S.-Israeli security relationship . . . and have every right to talk to advocacy groups."

Federal prosecutors last week dropped the case against the former lobbyists, Steven J. Rosen and Keith Weissman, saying recent court rulings had changed the legal dynamics and made it unlikely they would win.

Bern
05-04-2009, 08:05 AM
"I will not quit on this until I am absolutely sure this can never happen to anyone else," Harman told the AIPAC audience ...

Bwahahahaha.. That's rich. Does this mean she will 180 on her lobbying and support for warrantless domestic wiretapping?

Harman needs to be shown the exit door. It can't happen too soon.

acptulsa
05-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Oh, a chilling effect on Congress counts. A chilling effect on the public doesn't. I see.

She should have given up talking to espionage agents for Lent. She'd have been all right, then.