PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies and Government

rvkpa
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I just noticed a sad trend with all of my hobbies and a general fear of Government.
I do milsim with paintball and airsoft guns. The organizers of all our events are terrified that one injury will lead to the death of our hobby by government intervention.
I regularly fly model aircraft with powerful gas engines. Again the organizers of all the events stress safety not for safety's sake but "to keep our sport from dying at the hands of federal, state, and local regulators."
I also enjoy riding on ATV's and PWC's again everyone is all paranoid about that one accident that is going to get us banned. More and more local places don't let ATVs around anymore on multi-use trails because of liability.
To do all of these activities we need to notify the government to ask permission and carry insane insurance even though there are no laws on the books to ban or even regulate them in most cases. I have had friends arrested for sitting on their porches cleaning their legal airsoft guns. Is this what our founding fathers intended? Am I just insensitive?

Dr.3D
05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I have had friends arrested for sitting on their porches cleaning their legal airsoft guns.

Why did you have your friends arrested?

Kotin
05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Am I just insensitive?

no way..

I feel the same..

rvkpa
05-03-2009, 08:38 PM
There's my poor english. "I have seen friends arrested."

Dr.3D
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
There's my poor english. "I have seen friends arrested."

Oh, now I understand what you were saying. :)

tangent4ronpaul
05-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Try these hobbies:
Inorganic chemistry = bomb maker
pyrotechnics = bomb maker
model rocketry = bomb or CBR delivery system / shooting down aircraft
Holography/laser light shows = terrorist wanting blind aircraft and make them crash
RC Aircraft = terrorist delivery system
Microbiology = Biological weapons production
Electronics = all sorts of mischief
Ham radio = covert communications for terrorist networks
Art = Forgery of ID documents
Computers = hacking official gvmt and industry computers and sabotaging them
Media production = anti-government propaganda
Sex = terrorist baby factories = making more terrorists
Physics = E-Bombs and stuff like that - maybe even homemade nukes

Well, at least knitting is still safe.. (or is it...)

-t

Dr.3D
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Try these hobbies:
Inorganic chemistry = bomb maker
pyrotechnics = bomb maker
model rocketry = bomb or CBR delivery system / shooting down aircraft
Holography/laser light shows = terrorist wanting blind aircraft and make them crash
RC Aircraft = terrorist delivery system
Microbiology = Biological weapons production
Electronics = all sorts of mischief
Ham radio = covert communications for terrorist networks
Art = Forgery of ID documents
Computers = hacking official gvmt and industry computers and sabotaging them
Media production = anti-government propaganda
Sex = terrorist baby factories = making more terrorists
Physics = E-Bombs and stuff like that - maybe even homemade nukes

Well, at least knitting is still safe.. (or is it...)

-t

Beer and wine making = possible illegal distillation.

Agent CSL
05-03-2009, 09:01 PM
That is completely insane. Sigh.... Runaway government.

Speaking of dangerous computer hobbies, I've been called a domestic terrorist to my face because part of my job involves *GASP* "hacking" ... Pfft. Dangerous time to enjoy just about anything.

tangent4ronpaul
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Beer and wine making = possible illegal distillation.

Maybe it would be easier to establish a "legal" and "PC" allowable list...

Then again, they will find a way to tax and regulate EVERYTHING!

-t

rvkpa
05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Around here I think you're still allowed to make some wine for personal consumption. At least I know people who do.

Dr.3D
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Around here I think you're still allowed to make some wine for personal consumption. At least I know people who do.

I make wine... but how long before they break down the door, looking for an illegal still?

acptulsa
05-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Even model railroading. Many detail parts have been made of 'white metal' with a pretty good lead content. What if a child sucks on it? Think of the children!

Parents, if you let your little darling pick up, play with and suck on a white metal 1949 DeSoto model hand Dremmeled, puttied, filed, equipped with an epoxied with a bent paper clip grille and hand painted to make it into a model of a 1950 Dodge, lead poisoning is the least of the dangers to that child. Worry instead about the grown man who spent hours making it right.

Then there's the old car hobby. History be damned, you can't have that thing belching smog! And God Forbid you actually drive a car without seat belts--even if it is a veteran brass era machine that won't do over thirty!

Boating--the persecute the drunks craze has reached our lakes. I wonder if a canoeist is as subject to this as the operator of a three hundred horse speedboat? Now, who can you hurt paddling a canoe while tipsy? I don't know how you can even hurt yourself...

I wonder how long before embroiderers are confronted with safety needles--and how big a pain in the ass they'll be?