PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the new Ecigarettes? Guess what?

Dieseler
05-03-2009, 06:51 PM
The FDA is banning them May 5th.
http://reason.com/blog/show/133265.html

I reckon this has something to do with money.

kathy88
05-03-2009, 06:54 PM
anyone know where to get these in two days?

brandon
05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Completely insane.

How the fuck do they get away with stuff like this?

We need to ban the FDA.

brandon
05-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I feel so bad for the entrepreneurs who invested tons of their own time and money to come up with this brilliant product and business model, just to have the government crush them like a cockroach.

kathy88
05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I feel so bad for the entrepreneurs who invested tons of their own time and money to come up with this brilliant product and business model, just to have the government crush them like a cockroach.

so true

Dieseler
05-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Its insane.
I just quit a little over a month ago.
I've been smoking for 25 years and it hurt bad.
I'm gonna make it though just for pure spite.
I didn't use this product but I know a few people who are and they love them.
As I understand it, its about a $40.00 initial investment and the cartridges are about .89 cents and equivalent to a pack of smokes.
These people say they haven't touched a smoke since they started using this device and they are getting healthy again.
What a crying ass shame.

Dr.3D
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
'Oh but these are just another way to meter out nicotine and nicotine is a restricted drug.' :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

RSLudlum
Damn bureaucratic BS...This is exactly the reason term limits will have a limited effect; the politicians leave but the same people stay in charge at the federal agencies.

Kludge

Destruction leads to creation... sometimes.

Maybe we'll pick up another Lysander Spooner :)

Dieseler
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I've saved nearly $600.00 since my Wife and I quit.
Maybe more, she knows the exact dates.
I'll post it up later.
They didn't get a nickel of that new tax from us.

Andrew-Austin
05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Its insane.
I just quit a little over a month ago.
I've been smoking for 25 years and it hurt bad.
I'm gonna make it though just for pure spite.
I didn't use this product but I know a few people who are and they love them.
As I understand it, its about a $40.00 initial investment and the cartridges are about .89 cents and equivalent to a pack of smokes.
These people say they haven't touched a smoke since they started using this device and they are getting healthy again.
What a crying ass shame.

The FDA wants people to die of lung cancer.

brandon
05-03-2009, 07:12 PM
So the FDA is basically a group of unelected bureaucrats that have the power to make laws on a whim, right? I mean, could they just decide one day "Hell, lets make tomatoes illegal today" and no one can stop them. Tomatoes just become illegal all of a sudden?

Dieseler
05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
The FDA wants people to die of lung cancer.

I think they could care less whether we die or not as long as people pay that insane tax hike.
You're likely right though, sooner they see a citizen dead and in the ground the better, so they can indoctrinate another one into the flock.
BAAAA! BAAAA!

Dieseler
05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
So the FDA is basically a group of unelected bureaucrats that have the power to make laws on a whim, right? I mean, could they just decide one day "Hell, lets make tomatoes illegal today" and no one can stop them. Tomatoes just become illegal all of a sudden?

Well, I reckon the new tax came on this Presidents watch and I think he appoints the FDA head so I reckon so.
Too many people are quitting smoking.
I wish we had the numbers.

Reason
05-03-2009, 07:17 PM
:(

krazy kaju
05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
They ban ecigarettes but not normal cigarettes?

Kludge
05-03-2009, 07:21 PM

Until the major tobacco corporations can catch up, at least.

brandon
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Well, I reckon the new tax came on this Presidents watch and I think he appoints the FDA head so I reckon so.
Too many people are quitting smoking.
I wish we had the numbers.

There is still something like 40 million of them in the country. I'm one.

Most smokers are poor and uneducated though, so they don't often stand up for their rights.

Dieseler
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM

Good money in them normal cigarettes.
Real good money.
If I had not smoked the last 25 years my home would of been paid off 10 years ago.

Dieseler
05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
There is still something like 40 million of them in the country. I'm one.

Most smokers are poor and uneducated though, so they don't often stand up for their rights.

Quit brandon.
If my old ass can do it, you can.
I'm not getting fat either.
As a matter of fact I'm approaching my fighting weight again.

nobody's_hero
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I guess this helps expose the myth that the recent tax hike on tobacco was for people's own good, and not, say, some rediculous grasp at straws to shrink the budget deficit on the backs of smokers.

Roxi
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
anyone know where to get these in two days?

www.smokingeverywhere.com
www.ecigarettesolution.com
www.epuffer.com

Ninja Homer
05-03-2009, 08:25 PM
The ban is only on imports from manufacturers that label them as "a safer alternative" or something similar. Once something is labeled like that, the FDA claims jurisdiction on it because it's a health claim, and since the health claim hasn't been tested and approved by the FDA, they will ban it. IMHO, the ban actually started months ago, when the FDA started holding large shipments at customs; a partial ban is still a ban, even if it isn't technically a ban by law yet.

What the manufacturers are probably going to have to do is to stop selling kits that include any nicotine in them, and stop making any health claims on them. They can include cartridges that have zero nicotine in them, and then it's basically just a device that makes flavored vapor, like a mini fog machine. I don't see any way the FDA can justify banning them that way. Then people just have to order their nicotine liquid from somewhere else. Current distributors will probably end up running 2 companies; one to sell the devices and one to sell the liquid.

Personally, I think big tobacco is behind the ban. If the FDA somehow manages to successfully ban them, the ban will probably be lifted when Philip Morris, RJ Reynolds, and Lorillard are ready with their versions of the e-cigarette. By then, I'm sure they will have also figured out how to tax the hell out of it.

E-cigarettes are here to stay... the question is, will you be able to buy from your choice of competing products, or will you have to get it black market. If you're worried about it, and were thinking about getting one, here's a list of suppliers you can order from: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/supporting-suppliers/ I'd suggest ordering from a supplier in the US that has stock in hand (assuming you're in the US).

All e-cigarettes are currently manufactured in China. There is one nicotine liquid manufacturer in USA: http://www.johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com/ As far as I know, they haven't received ANY warnings or notices from the FDA. Puresmoker.com announced just yesterday that they are going to be offering their own 100% USA made e-cigarette in a few weeks. See this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/puresmoker/15068-usa-manufactured-pv-cash-friends.html This looks like an awesome ecig.

muh_roads
05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
So who do we e-mail bomb and bitch at?

Ninja Homer
05-03-2009, 10:47 PM
So who do we e-mail bomb and bitch at?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/campaigning/

robertwerden
05-03-2009, 10:50 PM
This is a hoax

TheConstitutionLives
05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
As someone said on Reason:

I'll take "going postal" for $1000, Alex.

Ninja Homer
05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
This is a hoax

Which part? Many US suppliers do have big shipments being held in customs, and the FDA won't release them. At the very least, it's a partial ban. I don't know about the whole "planned full-scale ban on the 5th against 3 manufacturers." The FDA doesn't usually announce things ahead of time like that... they just do it. First with a polite letter, then with force.

GunnyFreedom
05-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Until the major tobacco corporations can catch up, at least.

Industrial tobacco for cigarettes, needs to be converted to industrial hemp for biofuels. IMHO. This banning crap is insane, and if big tobacco is incapable of adapting to the new market realities then they need to fail.

But the thing is, they don't have to fail.

Re-tool a few of the cigarette factories into hemp-oil based biofuel factories, and (given the direction of the nation re alternative fuels) we could turn North Carolina into the Saudi Arabia of renewable fuel

werdd
05-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Question:

Who makes welbutrin, chantix, and other quit smoking meds?

constituent
05-04-2009, 06:10 AM
well, i reckon the fda is the problem, but fwiw, this is clearly a drug delivery device and as such, subject to their whims.

this is what it looks like when government "keeps you safe" from others.

Elwar
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
So what will they be banning? If you have an e-cigarette you can keep using it until it breaks, you just need a resupply of the liquid, and I've seen sites that show you how to make your own liquid. Also, there are plenty of people who have done mods to each part of the e-cigarette so if your battery goes bad you can create one, if your vaporizor goes bad you can make a new one...

asimplegirl
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I don't even get it- WTF is an ecigarette?

Elwar
05-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't even get it- WTF is an ecigarette?

An e-cigarette is basically a piece of hardware that heats up a propylene glycol solution mixed with nicotine and flavoring to create a "vapor" that acts in the exact same way as smoke from a regular cigarette but without the carcinogins.

asimplegirl
05-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Oh. Thanks.