PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't We Just Have Freedom?

nate895
05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Seriously, why? Why the hell can't we just have it for Christ's sake? Is it really so much to ask to just say to leave everyone alone? I mean, why is it so difficult to get this across? How come we aren't seeing more jury nullification? How come there are people who want to do this to other people? Why can't they just sit up in the mansions on hills or penthouse apartments on the Upper East Side and be satisfied with diamond and gold crusted caviar? Is it really so much to ask? Really, I want to know.

Edit: Musings of a bored libertarian mind with nothing better to do.

nate895
05-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Hmm...Should I write an essay? I want it published.

OptionsTrader
05-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Seriously, why? Why the hell can't we just have it for Christ's sake? Is it really so much to ask to just say to leave everyone alone? I mean, why is it so difficult to get this across? How come we aren't seeing more jury nullification? How come there are people who want to do this to other people? Why can't they just sit up in the mansions on hills or penthouse apartments on the Upper East Side and be satisfied with diamond and gold crusted caviar? Is it really so much to ask? Really, I want to know.

Honestly? Because most people do not want liberty. They have been taught by persons in authority to be dependent and they are going to need to go through withdrawal symptoms before they change. Fascism has come to America and as long as people feel "taken care of" and safe from the boogeyman of the month, they are not going to demand freedom.

Look around you. Most people are overweight and too lazy to actually produce capital.

From a strictly biological standpoint, I believe that in my lifetime we are going to see widespread famine and a large dip in the human population simply because the Earth will not be able to support 6 billion humans with an inefficient state controlled world government. The massive famine is going to kill off the weak, morbidly obese, dangerously thin, lazy, sickly, handicapped, and mentally ill and what will be left is a small population of survivors that will be forced to produce capital that others want or die.

RSLudlum
05-02-2009, 11:31 PM
You might get something out of Rober LeFevre's "The Nature of Man and His Government" CH. 8: The Product of Fear ;)

http://mises.org/story/1970#8

nate895
05-02-2009, 11:58 PM
You miss my point entirely. I understand those are the "reasons" behind why we don't have freedom, but it just seems so simple a concept and nearly every average person believes it. Ask any random person on the street tomorrow: "Do you believe you should live free from government authorities if you don't harm anyone else?" They will in all likelihood answer "Yes." And yet, we don't have it, it is right there, just beyond our reach, blocked by people who want nothing more than to see their fellow man suffer for their gain. "Why do they want that" is my fundamental question. It seems so unnatural, so inhuman. It violates all base values inherent in at least our society. My conclusion, as a Christian, is influence from demonic forces, but what would make them give in? It is just so confounding.

OptionsTrader
05-03-2009, 12:07 AM
The problem is that most people in fact do not want liberty. They want life to be easy.

Ask people if they want freedom and they will say yes. Offer them a candidate like Ron Paul and they will laugh at him because they want a global empire and we need a large gobernment to take care of the people in need.

Brassmouth
05-03-2009, 12:09 AM
My conclusion, as a Christian, is influence from demonic forces, but what would make them give in? It is just so confounding.

I was totally with you until you started babbling about pixies and unicorns.

There are perfectly objective reasons why people hate liberty (propaganda, government schools, shitty parenting, etc). There are also reasons why some people want to deprive others of liberty (state corruption, malincentives, malice, lust for power). You don't need to evoke the "well i cant explain this scenario so I'll just blame it on some invisible beasts with horns" argument, and in fact, many people (but not nearly enough) will think less of you for doing so.

nate895
05-03-2009, 12:40 AM

There are perfectly objective reasons why people hate liberty (propaganda, government schools, shitty parenting, etc). There are also reasons why some people want to deprive others of liberty (state corruption, malincentives, malice, lust for power). You don't need to evoke the "well i cant explain this scenario so I'll just blame it on some invisible beasts with horns" argument, and in fact, many people (but not nearly enough) will think less of you for doing so.

Listen here, there is really no other reason. It is against all base values inherent in human beings to want to do anything but live their lives free from intervention. Why would they deviate from this set path at all? The temptations of evil that Satan has set up for us.

One thing all atheists forget to fundamentally answer is the ultimate origination point. Where the hell did the first super atom come from? Why is there a universe at all? How did the first organic being sprout from lifeless elements? And, the point of this thread, why would the first human being to think of government as a means to damage his fellow man think of that in the first place? What could have possibly possessed him (or her) to do such a thing? There is no certain answer to any of those questions, and it seems to me that the most logical conclusion is that something greater is at work in the universe than the infinite amounts of reactions of subatomic materials that came together to produce us and the thoughts in our brain at this very moment.

Athan
05-03-2009, 01:12 AM

Because freedom means no more politicians. They can't have that. :p

ewizacft
05-03-2009, 02:03 AM

I feel sorry for you.

theinlawjosie
05-03-2009, 03:02 AM
You don't need to evoke the "well i cant explain this scenario so I'll just blame it on some invisible beasts with horns" argument, and in fact, many people (but not nearly enough) will think less of you for doing so.

Wow.

I don't really consider myself to be a "Christian" but I do believe in God. I don't go to church or dedicate a lot of my time to Christ and I don't live my life like your typical "conservative Christian" believes I should. I probably get just as irritated at the hypocritical right wing "Christians" as you do, but because I follow a faith based religion you feel I need to be thought less of. That doesn't seem to fit very well with the whole libertarian/freedom advocate thing.

I know several atheists and most of them could care less that I believe in God. Others seem to feel personally offended by believers and despise them because they push their views on others. These are the same people that make it a point to let everyone know that God doesn't exist and that they are superior to anyone who believes otherwise. To me it seems they are being just as hypocritical as the Christians they loathe. At least the Christians are doing it because they believe they will be leading a person to salvation, it seems a lot of atheists just get a kick out of being assholes.

I'd be interested to know if you can give me a legitimate reason as to why believers of a faith based religion should be held in a lower regard than those that have a blind faith in Science to eventually explain everything.

TheEvilDetector
05-03-2009, 03:43 AM
One thing all atheists forget to fundamentally answer is the ultimate origination point. Where the hell did the first super atom come from? Why is there a universe at all? How did the first organic being sprout from lifeless elements?

Where did God come from?

Is God made of matter? If so where did that matter come from?
Is God made of energy? If so where did that energy come from?
Did God create himself? Fine, why couldn't the universe have done the same?
Has God always been around? Fine, why couldn't the universe have always been around?

If the universe has 'love' for inhabitants of a tiny speck of space called earth can we call it God?
If the universe has to put its 'son' on this speck of cosmic dust around 0AD can we call it God?

This obsession with a maker does not rest on a solid foundation.

If universe is a self sustaining, permanent entity, maybe it is "God"?

You don't have to have a distinct super being maker for everything.

Its understandable that finite minds in a finite world, cling to finite explanations such as needing a maker
to give them comfort. But in a universe which is extremely large and complex such primitive explanations
run a real risk of being wrong, man hasn't even been able to land on the nearest planet yet,
we are in no position to make judgements about there being a maker of the entire universe and personally I don't
believe there is one as I haven't seen any proof.

Logically, it is the same reason why I wouldn't automatically believe little green elves are responsible
for the weather even if hypothetically thousands of people had a book that said this was so,
because there is no way to verify their existence whatsoever.

Over time, men made the most absurd explanations for things they didn't understand such as flat earth, sun
rotation around the earth and things of this nature. Over time science has shed light on these questions.

I have no doubt that eventually, science will provide a clear explanation of how the universe "birth" / "death"
cycles operate in detail, this knowledge I imagine will come after significant space travel takes place by the human
species, possibly after having a bit of dialogue with extra-terrestrial sentient beings.

There exists a truly gigantic mountain of knowledge yet to be learned, we are nowhere near being able to claim
an existence of God, to do so is the height of self-centred egoistic arrogance and self-importance (ie. universe creation superbeing that "loves" us).

heavenlyboy34
05-03-2009, 07:28 AM

Because some folks INSIST on forcing a government on everyone else. :p Till they get over that, they will always have a weapon of aggression to harass you with. :(

Natalie
05-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Why dont we turn this into another 26 page religious debate? :rolleyes:

VIDEODROME
05-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Some people think being part of a collective or team is for the greater good and moral. That many can accomplish more then a single person. They would be proud to wear a number or uniform. Like worker bees supporting the hive.

They would look at the person who wants to keep their own sovereignty, privacy, identity, and freedom as selfish, eccentric, and immoral. They would see a person who acts as if they are a community unto themselves instead of truly participating in their larger community. How dare they not join the team effort!?

Strangely in many ways this kind of thinking is correct and in just as many ways it can be dangerous. People sacrificing and joining a cause for to accomplish a greater good is noble. Think of building the Great Wall in China to protect against the Mongols and what a supreme community effort that took.

On the other hand using government to forcibly "volunteer" you on what they perceive to be moral grounds is where the danger lies. You become less of a free human being and become a community asset.

Pericles
05-03-2009, 09:43 AM
You miss my point entirely. I understand those are the "reasons" behind why we don't have freedom, but it just seems so simple a concept and nearly every average person believes it. Ask any random person on the street tomorrow: "Do you believe you should live free from government authorities if you don't harm anyone else?" They will in all likelihood answer "Yes." And yet, we don't have it, it is right there, just beyond our reach, blocked by people who want nothing more than to see their fellow man suffer for their gain. "Why do they want that" is my fundamental question. It seems so unnatural, so inhuman. It violates all base values inherent in at least our society. My conclusion, as a Christian, is influence from demonic forces, but what would make them give in? It is just so confounding.

Most people make decisions in as isolated events rather in consideration of a total dynamic.

As you state, when asked, practically everyone will support having freedom.

But, when asked the following will also tend to agree.

Should poor people be helped?

Should terrorism be stopped?

Should jobs be saved?

And so on. A stressful situation creates an urge to do something, which is often the wrong thing in terms of long term benefit. Most "do something" actions come at the expense of freedom. The freedom most people really want is freedom from responsibility.

tpreitzel
05-03-2009, 09:52 AM

Many people have hit on aspects of this issue. You're right about supernatural forces acting on our limited free will whether perceived or not which guide man's actions. Since you're a Christian, I'd recommend reading the work of Dr. Stanley Monteith at www.radioliberty.com . He's written extensively on this subject and has numerous sources on his website. Call him in person and discuss the issue with him. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you, but understand the man is extraordinarily busy and advanced in years.

nate895
05-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Where did God come from?

Is God made of matter? If so where did that matter come from?
Is God made of energy? If so where did that energy come from?
Did God create himself? Fine, why couldn't the universe have done the same?
Has God always been around? Fine, why couldn't the universe have always been around?

If the universe has 'love' for inhabitants of a tiny speck of space called earth can we call it God?
If the universe has to put its 'son' on this speck of cosmic dust around 0AD can we call it God?

This obsession with a maker does not rest on a solid foundation.

If universe is a self sustaining, permanent entity, maybe it is "God"?

You don't have to have a distinct super being maker for everything.

Its understandable that finite minds in a finite world, cling to finite explanations such as needing a maker
to give them comfort. But in a universe which is extremely large and complex such primitive explanations
run a real risk of being wrong, man hasn't even been able to land on the nearest planet yet,
we are in no position to make judgements about there being a maker of the entire universe and personally I don't
believe there is one as I haven't seen any proof.

Logically, it is the same reason why I wouldn't automatically believe little green elves are responsible
for the weather even if hypothetically thousands of people had a book that said this was so,
because there is no way to verify their existence whatsoever.

Over time, men made the most absurd explanations for things they didn't understand such as flat earth, sun
rotation around the earth and things of this nature. Over time science has shed light on these questions.

I have no doubt that eventually, science will provide a clear explanation of how the universe "birth" / "death"
cycles operate in detail, this knowledge I imagine will come after significant space travel takes place by the human
species, possibly after having a bit of dialogue with extra-terrestrial sentient beings.

There exists a truly gigantic mountain of knowledge yet to be learned, we are nowhere near being able to claim
an existence of God, to do so is the height of self-centred egoistic arrogance and self-importance (ie. universe creation superbeing that "loves" us).

The thing is, as far as we are from "proving" the existence of God, we are at least as far from proving that these things were there for no other reason other than that they were there. The one that really trips me up and makes me believe that there must be something greater at work than chemical reactions in the universe is the sprouting of organic life. How does an inanimate object gain life? It is hard to turn zero into anything greater without some sort of manipulation from outside forces. I think the most logical answer to that question is that God exists. You might believe differently, but I choose to believe that way because it provides answers that science will probably never provide to my satisfaction.

As far as your comparison to green elves creating the weather, the difference is that there is scientific proof that other factors create the weather. There is no proof, only theory, that organic beings sprouted from lifeless carbon. Therefore, most any position on why life and the universe came into being can be logically defended, and the truth will only be revealed either after we die in the case of Heavenly intercession, or probably never in the case of sprouting from complete nothingness.

kahless
05-03-2009, 11:39 AM
The problem is that most people in fact do not want liberty. They want life to be easy.

Ask people if they want freedom and they will say yes. Offer them a candidate like Ron Paul and they will laugh at him because they want a global empire and we need a large gobernment to take care of the people in need.

Exactly.

To add, perhaps people think that way after a life time of being raped by government and thus forced into a situation of dependency. It is in the back of my mind and my values are hard core Libertarian - Conservative.

For example my year after year income over the last 10 years look like an EKG with highs and lows depending on the year. The low years are particularly hard but would not be if I did not get raped so bad in taxes in the previous high earning year. Last year was a good year but the federal government thieves stole a significant amount of my hard earned income that I could have used now in this rough patch which looks to be a low income year.

If this continues in my life time there will not be any savings or retirement. It comes to a point where I feel like I am always swimming against the current and losing out (to the fed). Perhaps one day putting me in a situation to be dependent on government because the year after year continual rape of my hard labor that I could have saved for my future and rough patches if they did not steal a significant amount of it from me.

How many people get to this point and give up to welcome the government particularly after a life time of this. I just wish people were as angry as I am that we can work together and really do something about it now while I still have some working years left in me.

It is heartening to see the Tea Parties and the efforts here but it is just not enough. I think allot of people feel the same way but give in to the government.

Imperial
05-03-2009, 12:22 PM
The reason we can't have freedom is because the individual and the group against the whole gain more profits from collective forms of organization. In some cases, even we justify such action as progressives or minarchists(as I actually fall somewhere around here). Others advocate pure freedom, but that does not profit the individual as it is more difficult to be manipulated. It may be more beneficial to the WHOLE of society if we all act for freedom but it is far simpler to exploit a governmental provision or bureaucracy than to accept that there will be negative impacts in our lives, whether they are caused by ourselves or if they are spontaneous.

GBurr
05-03-2009, 12:47 PM
The same reason first graders run to the teacher when a classmate says stupid. People seem to enjoy watching others get in trouble. It makes them feel better about themselves.

Don't Tread on Mike
05-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I ask myself that question everyday. It tears me apart on the inside just knowing how dumb america can be and how little they care. Maybe the will when the dollar crashes and they can't afford to buy those pretty new shoes anymore.

TheEvilDetector
05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
The thing is, as far as we are from "proving" the existence of God, we are at least as far from proving that these things were there for no other reason other than that they were there. The one that really trips me up and makes me believe that there must be something greater at work than chemical reactions in the universe is the sprouting of organic life. How does an inanimate object gain life?

Every object has degrees of animation at whatever level of magnification you choose to view it at.

Planets, suns, satellites, gases they all move around too. Atomic particles within everything are not sitting still.

You could say everything is just different arrangements of atomic particles and also if you "zoom out" or "zoom in" sufficiently you gain
a different subjective view.

Someone (hypothetical sentient being) who is too zoomed in or too zoomed out may not experience the viewpoint you have,
however they could conceivably see something else of great interest and amazement at their levels of zoom ie. a special and rare subatomic particle,
or a very unusual cluster of galaxies and could if they were so inclined automatically default to the creator explanation.

Now what do you mean by gaining life? The ability to reproduce, to think?

Why do such attributes require a creator? Because of the "complexity" level differences you subjectively experience?

It is hard to turn zero into anything greater without some sort of manipulation from outside forces.

Hard for who? For you?

Maybe in a universe with trillions of possibilities of atomic reactions and arrangements and "all the time in the world" it's not "hard" at all.

Surely you are aware of the enourmous number of galaxies, stars and planets in the universe, our existence in my opinion is just a
result of a combination of physical factors favouring our particular type of existence.

Furthermore, given that so many physical permutations exist out there, our existence isn't surprising.

However, given that it is "relatively" rare, I can completely understand why some feel we are "special", even though, we simply are a possible outcome
of trillions upon trillions of possible outcomes.

Considering the size of the universe and the number of stars in it, it is entirely possible that there are BILLIONS of species similar to ours,
but so far spread apart that each understandably thinks they are so special that they had to be lovingly created by a creator.

I think the most logical answer to that question is that God exists.

It's not logical at all. It is simply comforting to you.

You might believe differently, but I choose to believe that way because it provides answers that science will probably never provide to my satisfaction.

Your position sounds like -> We don't know everything yet, so it must have been God.

This is why at one point we had people believing that super beings were holding the earth up, or that the earth was flat, we know better now.
Why should this be different? Just because of scale of the question? That's a scientific logistical problem, nothing more.

As far as your comparison to green elves creating the weather, the difference is that there is scientific proof that other factors create the weather.

There is no proof, only theory, that organic beings sprouted from lifeless carbon. Therefore, most any position on why life and the universe came into being can be logically defended, and the truth will only be revealed either after we die in the case of Heavenly intercession, or probably never in the case of sprouting from complete nothingness.

I bet eventually scientists will figure out how the universe (that we perceive) comes into being (if we don't disappear as a species first) even before the big bang.

Even thought we haven't yet implemented/developed the technology to actually colonise our nearest planet we already know quite a bit,
yet there remains an even greater amount of unknown. Given that I have seen no proof of a creator, only speculation, I remain of the
opinion there is no creator.

I also think that its likely that the universe isn't bounded by time and space in the way we are (only the part we can observe directly),
which makes it easy for me to understand that it can simply always exist in whatever form it actually is.

Time and space is just our subjective experience of the system we are in, ie. a subatomic particle, if it could have a conscience
would not experience universe the way we do.

It is understandable you cling to finite ideas like a creator, implying there was a beginning and an end of the creation, given the limitations of our existence.

In the cosmic time scale (infinite time), we are probably a blip, with billions upon billions of many like us existing before, during and after us,
so not so special after all, or even that "rare".

The system itself (the entire universe observable and (currently) unobservable) could be self sustaining and permanent,
meaning that it doesn't need a creator, since it has always been around.

Think about it. It's really not that hard to consider.

nate895
05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
How is my position any more "illogical" than your blind faith that there is nothing beyond chemical reactions? I never said it was absolutely impossible for that to be, I just find it to leave more questions than answers. There is no absolutely doubtless proof either way.

As far as it being "comforting," think it is "comforting" to believe that the world will eventually end as described in Revelations, quite possibly in our lifetime if our course does not change? If you think that is "comforting," then I don't what is uncomfortable.

TheEvilDetector
05-03-2009, 08:42 PM
How is my position any more "illogical" than your blind faith that there is nothing beyond chemical reactions?

Why does there need to be something extra on top of interactions between particles/energy etc?

I never said it was absolutely impossible for that to be, I just find it to leave more questions than answers. There is no absolutely doubtless proof either way.

I bet eventually (provided we don't destroy ourselves or get destroyed first) we will figure it out by gaining sufficient information. But belief in a creator is
an example of an explanation that requires no proof whatsoever, its just a fail-safe that can be used for anything and everything and in the past such default beliefs have
been disproved, eg. God talking when its thunder or God making weather, God making earth the center of everything and having sun go around it.

You put a radio in front of a caveman and he will think God is talking to him.
But if somehow you could calm him down and teach him basic math, physics etc, he may understand and believe that its not.

Point is, as our scientific understanding grows, our beliefs in deities come under scrutiny.

As far as it being "comforting," think it is "comforting" to believe that the world will eventually end as described in Revelations, quite possibly in our lifetime if our course does not change? If you think that is "comforting," then I don't what is uncomfortable.

Of course one day we will disappear, unlike the universe we do not last forever.

I suppose the goal of all organic species is to last (collectively and individually) for as long as they can.

Even if we did last say a million years (very unlikely I think), we would not act or look or behave anything like today, even our DNA
could be very different (probably the entire species will be genetically engineered by then). Probably we wouldn't
really be humans anymore, but something else entirely, a distant relative of sorts, a continuation of evolution with the aid of intellectual factors if you will.

nate895
05-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Also, as far as your comparison to old flat-earthers, I say this. If I lived in those times, and someone were to ask me "Do you believe the Earth is flat or round?" I would have said "Flat, that is what it looks like to me." When they responded "Do you have any proof?" I would have said "Only what I can see and what I can feel." If they responded that I should need proof, I would have said to prove to me otherwise. They have done so at this point to the satisfaction of most (there always is the flat earth society). For religion, I say this to you, prove to me that everything from the miraculous life we live to the miracle of the Holy Fire lit every year on the Saturday before Orthodox Easter is nothing but chemical reactions and I will concede the point. I don't believe you ever will, as I probably would have never believed that the round Earth people would ever prove their point. However, anything is possible. Prove to me there is nothing but chemical reactions (I don't mean conjecture on how it happened, I mean you actually reproduce the circumstances and it happens), and I will concede the point.

TheEvilDetector
05-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Also, as far as your comparison to old flat-earthers, I say this. If I lived in those times, and someone were to ask me "Do you believe the Earth is flat or round?" I would have said "Flat, that is what it looks like to me." When they responded "Do you have any proof?" I would have said "Only what I can see and what I can feel." If they responded that I should need proof, I would have said to prove to me otherwise.

What are you trying to say with this? I don't follow.

In any case, if people had means to travel around the world or take images from some distance away to reveal the spherical nature the flat earth proposition would have been disproven. Even back then without such means, you can still see a slight bending of the horizon if you look out over the sea for example. There was a bunch of things going on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

"By classical times the idea that Earth was spherical began to take hold in Ancient Greece. Pythagoras in the 6th century BC, apparently on aesthetic grounds, held that all the celestial bodies were spherical. However, most Presocratic Pythagoreans considered the world to be flat.[12] According to Aristotle, pre-Socratic philosophers, including Leucippus (c. 440 BC) and Democritus (c. 460-370 BC) believed in a flat earth.[13] Anaximander believed the Earth to be a short cylinder with a flat, circular top which remained stable because it is the same distance from all things.[14] It has been suggested that seafarers probably provided the first observational evidence that the Earth was not flat.[15]

Around 330 BC, Aristotle provided observational evidence for the spherical Earth,[16] noting that travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon. He argued that this was only possible if their horizon was at an angle to northerners' horizon and that the Earth's surface therefore could not be flat.[17] He also noted that the border of the shadow of Earth on the Moon during the partial phase of a lunar eclipse is always circular, no matter how high the Moon is over the horizon. Only a sphere casts a circular shadow in every direction, whereas a circular disk casts an elliptical shadow in all directions apart from directly above and directly below.[18] Writing around 10 BC, the Greek geographer Strabo cited various phenomena observed at sea as suggesting that the Earth was spherical."

They have done so at this point to the satisfaction of most (there always is the flat earth society). For religion, I say this to you, prove to me that everything from the miraculous life we live to the miracle of the Holy Fire lit every year on the Saturday before Orthodox Easter is nothing but chemical reactions and I will concede the point. I don't believe you ever will, as I probably would have never believed that the round Earth people would ever prove their point. However, anything is possible. Prove to me there is nothing but chemical reactions (I don't mean conjecture on how it happened, I mean you actually reproduce the circumstances and it happens), and I will concede the point.

As far as conditions for creation of organic life go, it's not a mystery at all, there has been a lot of work in this area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_world_hypothesis is one means of the transition.

As scientific understanding grows, theories will get more and more refined or we could just say God did it and end the conversation.

The way a cavemen could slowly be provided the understanding of what a radio is and how it works, so that he eventually gives up his notions that its God speaking,
is a bit like the way our understanding of abiogenesis grows so that eventually its not a mystery at all, as to how it started from seemingly inorganic matter.

I just can't quite understand why a particular type of chemical and biological transition had to have a maker in your opinion.

Keep in mind that it wasn't no humans -> humans instant transition. It was a very gradual no humans -> most primitive organic building blocks (elements, molecules ..) -> different more/less complex organic building blocks .... millions of changes .. -> humans and all this over millions of years.

Why is this so hard to grasp?

If a molecule floating in a solution has the ability to join another molecule floating in a solution, and such a molecule comes nearby, is it a miracle that they joined?

If a molecule does not have an ability to join with another molecule, but can get such ability if some part of it "comes off", is it a miracle that eventually this particular
part may fall off through whatever means?

More to the point, is it a miracle that Hydrogen and Oxygen can combine to form water?

Is turning water from liquid to gas in your kettle a miracle?

Are basic chemical properties all miracles?

Is everything around us a miracle? This is where the creator thinking leads a person.

Now expand chemical and physical reactions to cover a span of MILLIONS of years and trillions of permutations and situations and the existence of organic species from seemingly inorganic origins is not so "difficult" to grasp.

If you have a whole bunch of english letters in a bag and letters drop out one by one and you find whole english words coming out with correct spelling.

Is that a miracle?

If you have a whole bunch of chemicals in a liquid soup, and you end up with certain organic life building blocks?

Is that a miracle?

Even the very thoughts in your head right now are neuro-chemical reactions, your brain is a biological computer, if we had the storage capacity and the
processing power (and one day we will) we could one day completely describe someone's state of mind and future choices as 1' and 0's on a man made
computer (especially if we end up understanding the "randomness" of people's actions, which isn't really random but based on prior experience and mood
state). You might find such abilities lacking in taste, but they only serve to show that there is nothing so mysterious about "life", "conscience" etc.

nate895
05-03-2009, 09:18 PM
What are you trying to say with this? I don't follow.

In any case, if people had means to travel around the world or take images from some distance away to reveal the spherical nature the flat earth proposition would have been disproven. Even back then without such means, you can still see a slight bending of the horizon if you look out over the sea for example. There was a bunch of things going on:

from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

"By classical times the idea that Earth was spherical began to take hold in Ancient Greece. Pythagoras in the 6th century BC, apparently on aesthetic grounds, held that all the celestial bodies were spherical. However, most Presocratic Pythagoreans considered the world to be flat.[12] According to Aristotle, pre-Socratic philosophers, including Leucippus (c. 440 BC) and Democritus (c. 460-370 BC) believed in a flat earth.[13] Anaximander believed the Earth to be a short cylinder with a flat, circular top which remained stable because it is the same distance from all things.[14] It has been suggested that seafarers probably provided the first observational evidence that the Earth was not flat.[15]

Around 330 BC, Aristotle provided observational evidence for the spherical Earth,[16] noting that travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon. He argued that this was only possible if their horizon was at an angle to northerners' horizon and that the Earth's surface therefore could not be flat.[17] He also noted that the border of the shadow of Earth on the Moon during the partial phase of a lunar eclipse is always circular, no matter how high the Moon is over the horizon. Only a sphere casts a circular shadow in every direction, whereas a circular disk casts an elliptical shadow in all directions apart from directly above and directly below.[18] Writing around 10 BC, the Greek geographer Strabo cited various phenomena observed at sea as suggesting that the Earth was spherical."

You want me to create a universe to prove that the universe has no creator?

That's absurd.

No, they didn't have to go and take a picture of the Earth from outer space to prove the Earth is round. I want you to show me a lifeless element sprout life. I will then begin doubting the Christian story. I doubt you, or anyone, ever will, but if it happened once, it can happen a million times hence.

TheEvilDetector
05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I want you to show me a lifeless element sprout life. I will then begin doubting the Christian story. I doubt you, or anyone, ever will, but if it happened once, it can happen a million times hence.

Define life?

I told you that it happened gradually.

nate895
05-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Define life?

I told you that it happened gradually.

I should have specifically stated: organic being. If it is similar to a virus, I will hand it to you.

muzzled dogg
05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
because freedom isn't safe

you should know that by now

we need our protectors

TheEvilDetector
05-03-2009, 10:22 PM
I should have specifically stated: organic being. If it is similar to a virus, I will hand it to you.

Well over time as I've said the abiogenesis field is closing in on specific mechanisms, already many interesting theories exist.

Do I need to copy paste volumes of work here? I am sure you can look at the research material yourself.

I've given you some links already.

If you have specific scientific queries you would have to speak to scientists who are actually involved in this field of research, who could give you much more information than I could.

It's the same as it always has been, some aspect is granted to an invisible maker deity by default (because that's the easiest explanation with the least amount of intellectual work required) and over time science puts a rational explanation forward which eventually is accepted by most.

Imagine a world where scientists didn't bother, and everything was God's will (ie. intellectual apathy and laziness).

What a boring and dangerous world that would be for anyone with a curious and scientific mind.

Why do trees wobble from side to side sometimes? God told them to.
Why do apples always fall down not up from the tree? God commands them to.
Why does the sun go up and down every day? God told it to.
How could humans come from a situation where there were no humans before? God did it.
Why does X Y Z happen? God God God.
God is responsible for everything, so I can stop asking and go back to bible? Not yet, first God commands me to stone you now for blasphemous behaviour.

nate895
05-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Well over time as I've said the abiogenesis field is closing in on specific mechanisms, already many interesting theories exist.

If you have specific scientific queries you would have to speak to scientists who are actually involved in this field of research, who could give you much more information than I could.

It's the same as it always has been, some aspect is granted to an invisible maker deity by default (because that's the easiest explanation with the least amount of intellectual work required) and over time science puts a rational explanation forward which eventually is accepted by everyone.

Imagine a world where scientists didn't bother, and everything was God's will (ie. intellectual apathy and laziness).

What a boring and dangerous world that would be for anyone with a curious and scientific mind.

Why do trees wobble from side to side sometimes? God told them to.
Why do apples always fall down not up from the tree? God commands them to.
Why does the sun go up and down every day? God told it to.
Why does X Y Z happen? God God God.

I've had enough of your questions, God commands me to stone you now for blasphemous behaviour.

You know the reason why scientific facts are called "law" is because the scientists in the Renaissance and up until recent times believed that the reason why it was fact is that it was a law that God commanded to be? Science was originally dedicated to finding out God's laws for the universe, it has since become a field where theorists postulate hypotheses based on some outlandish assumptions. The reason why the Big Bang Theory is out there is because scientists observed that stellar bodies were slowly, but steadily, drifting apart, and then postulated that the universe must have started as one atom that went boom, causing a force that continues to push the matter that was once within to the edges of the universe (if there is one). That is one big assumption, especially based on Occum's Razor.

We even have that theory in miniature based on our moon continuously drifting away from the Earth, where the moon was originally part of the Earth and split off due to rapid spinning of the Earth. Is that necessarily true? No, in fact, I believe that theory isn't given as much credence as other theories on the moon's origins.

mczerone
05-03-2009, 10:47 PM
How is my position any more "illogical" than your blind faith that there is nothing beyond chemical reactions? I never said it was absolutely impossible for that to be, I just find it to leave more questions than answers. There is no absolutely doubtless proof either way.

I don't have these arguments anymore, because I've recognized that I can't change your faith anymore than you can change mine: I have FAITH that there is no god. I've taken all the evidence presented to me, and made a decision that cannot be proved, but seems like the best answer for the available inputs. So did you, but you came up with God existing and playing some role.

I might be wrong, but the entire argument is meaningless unless/until we can stop the government from persecuting us because of our beliefs (both groups get many burdens with a few benefits, depending on who is in charge at the time). We need to get the government out of our lives and be free to be atheists or Christians or Muslims or Xenophiles or Flying Spaghetti Monster disciples.

Peace, brother.

TheEvilDetector
05-03-2009, 10:48 PM
You know the reason why scientific facts are called "law" is because the scientists in the Renaissance and up until recent times believed that the reason why it was fact is that it was a law that God commanded to be? Science was originally dedicated to finding out God's laws for the universe, it has since become a field where theorists postulate hypotheses based on some outlandish assumptions.

The assumption that we are finding out rules set by some super-being is the most outlandish of all in my opinion. There is nothing whatsoever to support it.

The reason why the Big Bang Theory is out there is because scientists observed that stellar bodies were slowly, but steadily, drifting apart, and then postulated that the universe must have started as one atom that went boom, causing a force that continues to push the matter that was once within to the edges of the universe (if there is one). That is one big assumption, especially based on Occum's Razor.

If a theory explains what is observed, than unless you can produce a theory that explains it even better, than that's the best theory we have.

Now as tempting as it is to fall back to the all-encompassing "God did it" theory, real scientific work has to proceed forward.

"God did it" is not even a theory, it's like saying the reason why everything is the way it is, is because one plus one equals two.

It is true because it is true.

Meaningless.

GunnyFreedom
05-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Exactly.

To add, perhaps people think that way after a life time of being raped by government and thus forced into a situation of dependency. It is in the back of my mind and my values are hard core Libertarian - Conservative.

For example my year after year income over the last 10 years look like an EKG with highs and lows depending on the year. The low years are particularly hard but would not be if I did not get raped so bad in taxes in the previous high earning year. Last year was a good year but the federal government thieves stole a significant amount of my hard earned income that I could have used now in this rough patch which looks to be a low income year.

If this continues in my life time there will not be any savings or retirement. It comes to a point where I feel like I am always swimming against the current and losing out (to the fed). Perhaps one day putting me in a situation to be dependent on government because the year after year continual rape of my hard labor that I could have saved for my future and rough patches if they did not steal a significant amount of it from me.

How many people get to this point and give up to welcome the government particularly after a life time of this. I just wish people were as angry as I am that we can work together and really do something about it now while I still have some working years left in me.

It is heartening to see the Tea Parties and the efforts here but it is just not enough. I think allot of people feel the same way but give in to the government.

LOL sorry, not to take this off topic but;

Most everybody here knows that I basically gave up my life in Sept 2007 to go volunteering; and have been doing just that up until today.

On account of this, I did not work very much in 2008.

When I went to file my taxes, lo and behold I earned less than $5000 during 2008.

I figured no problem, I'll just file and be done with it.

No such luck. Apparently I owe $500 that I simply do not have.

I really hate the IRS and FedGov :mad:

nate895
05-03-2009, 10:52 PM
The assumption that we are finding out rules set by some super-being is the most outlandish of all in my opinion. There is nothing whatsoever to support it.

If a theory explains what is observed, than unless you can produce a theory (testable) that explains it even better, than that's the best theory we have.

When it comes to physical world's laws of interaction if you think you can skip from your private thoughts to an absolute truth without testing any theories, that's as outlandish a behaviour as any.

You have to admit that creating an untestable theory based on planetary drifts about the origins of the universe is pretty outlandish. I can just easily say that there is a repellent force of some variety at the center of the universe that the stellar bodies are racing away from. It is even more testable than the Big Bang Theory, at least we can travel to the center of the universe to see if there is one.

nate895
05-03-2009, 10:57 PM
LOL sorry, not to take this off topic but;

Most everybody here knows that I basically gave up my life in Sept 2007 to go volunteering; and have been doing just that up until today.

On account of this, I did not work very much in 2008.

When I went to file my taxes, lo and behold I earned less than $5000 during 2008.

I figured no problem, I'll just file and be done with it.

No such luck. Apparently I owe $500 that I simply do not have.

I really hate the IRS and FedGov :mad:

I thought you got all your money back if you were that poor. You should never have filed, they would never go after a $500 chump, and they won't do that now. Few juries would convict you.

TheEvilDetector
05-03-2009, 11:03 PM
It is even more testable than the Big Bang Theory, at least we can travel to the center of the universe to see if there is one.

Now you talking like a scientist.

You allow for the possibility of testing of your new theory, and that's a good start.

When we develop means of travelling such distances, I'm sure we could test your theory out in the way you would like to see it tested.

As far as Big Bang goes, it's apparently one of the main theories within the limitations of what we can currently observe
and test for (it's obviously not the only theory in existence), if somehow we later find there is an active repellant in the middle, certainly it would find its way into a better theory.

Scientific theories get refined over time as I mentioned earlier.

This is an interesting theory:

Big Bounce Theory

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Model_Suggests_Pre_Big_Bang_Physics.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bounce

Reading this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Big_Bang reminds me of the study of origins of life.

Both can be explained scientifically in any case.

nate895
05-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Now you talking like a scientist.

You allow for the possibility of testing of your new theory, and that's a good start.

When we develop means of travelling such distances, I'm sure we could test your theory out in the way you would like to see it tested.

As far as Big Bang goes, it's apparently (and seems logical to me) the best theory within the limitations of what we can currently observe
and test for, if somehow we later find there is an active repellant in the middle, certainly it would find its way into a better theory.

Scientific theories get refined over time as I mentioned earlier.

I know. Darwin's theory of evolution is different than the one we know today (though, having never read the details of either, I cannot say in what ways and to what degree). A theory is, according to the definition that has been used in my textbooks, "a hypothesis that is consistent with known scientific facts." In other words, there is at least some truth to the story. The reason why the Big Bang Theory attained that level is because it is a logical explanation for the phenomenon with some truth to the story (i.e., the stellar bodies are indeed drifting apart). Now, I am no lover of science because it bores the hell out of me. I much favor social sciences because I am fascinated with people and history, so I will defer to the rocket scientists to make an engine to travel to the center of the universe, if we could find such a place.

GunnyFreedom
05-03-2009, 11:56 PM
I thought you got all your money back if you were that poor. You should never have filed, they would never go after a $500 chump, and they won't do that now. Few juries would convict you.

Well, I haven't filed, because I didn't have the money to pay. I mean, I usually make a LOT more than that in a year, but I spent the entirety of 2008 as a volunteer, just taking a couple random jobs (I'm self employed) to keep eating.

I was about to submit my taxes via e-file well in time, but I could not, because I couldn't pay the taxes. However, I WILL have to file eventually (and soon!) even though it will be late -- because if I do not, then it will be SURE to come up when I run for Congress in 2014. :(

RevolutionSD
05-04-2009, 08:11 AM

Really simply: bad parenting. See: www.freedomainradio.com for all the answers.