PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Greatest Dynamic Duos of the Early Republic

Galileo Galilei
05-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Poll: Who Were the Greatest Dynamic Duos of the Early Republic?

Madison & Jefferson

These two great men worked together and agreed on almost everything for 50 years (1776-1826). After Jefferson died, Madison spent 10 more years defending his friend's legacy.

They worked together in the 1790s against Hamilton's plans, and then Madison served 8 years as Jefferson's Secretary of State.

In 50 years of correspondence, they are never known to have had a single argument.

The coordinated Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions are important statements concerning the doctrine of State's Rights.

Jefferson and Madison: The Great Collaboration
http://www.amazon.com/Jefferson-Madison-Collaboration-Adrienne-Koch/dp/0819158755

The Republic of Letters: The Correspondence Between Thomas Jefferson and James Madison
http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Letters-Correspondence-Between-Jefferson/dp/039303691X

Jefferson & John Adams

The two leading intellectual giants of the early Continental Congress, they both served on the committee to draft the Declaration of Independence, and helped bring the North and South together. Their relationship cooled while Adams was VP, but in later life they exchanged an extraordinary array of letters reflecting on their lives.

Lewis & Clark

The famous trip by Lewis & Clark yielded a wealth of scientific and geographic knowledge.

Madison & Washington

Not as well known as other duos, the author below argues that this collaboration was the most important in American history.

Madison persuaded Washington to attend the Constitutional Convention. At the convention, Madison was the brains and Washington the brawn that was critical. In the first congress, Madison was Washington's closest adviser, during the crucial time when the first federal laws were passed, all of them setting a precedent.

They also both attended the Mt. Vernon Conference as well, a prelude to the Constitutional Convention.

Madison wrote the first draft of Washington's Farewell Address.

Founding Friendship: George Washington, James Madison, and the Creation of the American Republic
http://www.amazon.com/Founding-Friendship-Washington-Constitutionalism-Democracy/dp/0813920892

Madison & Hamilton

They worked together to hold the Annapolis Conference of 1786 and then the Constitutional Convention. Then they co-wrote 80 of the 85 Federalist papers.

Washington & Hamilton

Hamilton was Washington's most trusted aid during the Revolutionary War. After Madison (& Jefferson) fell out with Washington over the bank bill, Hamilton became President Washington's most trusted adviser again.

Hamilton wrote the second draft of Washington's Farewell Address.

Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, and William Barret Travis

Brave defenders of the Alamo.

John Adams & John Quincy Adams

Father and son worked together on many projects all their lives.

James Monroe & John Quincy Adams

Adams served as Monroe's Secretary of State and they together created the Monroe Doctrine.

Sam Adams and John Hancock

The two leaders of the rebellion in Massachusetts. They had help from Paul Revere, James Otis, and Joseph Warren.

Stonewall Jackson & Robert E. Lee

The two greatest military geniuses of American history, and probably the best dynamic duo of generals in all of history. Both men had impeccable moral standards and were men of great virtue. They defeated the North at the Seven Days Battle and the Second Battle of Manassas. Antietam was a draw, but the victory at Fredericksburg was a slaughter. The most brilliant victory of them all was Jackson's flanking maneuver at Chancellorsville in May of 1863.

When Jackson had his left arm amputated, Lee said;

"He has lost his left arm, but I have lost my right."

Jackson, last words

"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."

If Jackson had not died from friendly fire, American history would have turned out quite differently.

Jackson and Lee first met in 1843, and their paths crossed several times in the ensuing two decades, including in the Mexican War.

Madison & Monroe

These two great men worked together from the time of the Revolution until Monroe died on July 4, 1831. They had only one falling out that lasted about two years, but then Monroe returned during the War of 1812. Madison's most trusted aid was Monroe

Jefferson & Monroe

Jefferson and Monroe worked together from the time of the Revolution until Jefferson died in 1826.

John Adams & Abigail Adams

Husband and wife worked together as a loving and intellectual couple all their adult lives

James Madison & Dolley Madison

James Madison was a short, thin, bald guy, so it helped his reputation to have the tallest, hottest, youngest and most curvaceous wife in Washington DC. They also worked together on many projects, including editing papers for posterity, until James died in 1836.

Tippecanoe & Tyler, too

I'm not aware of anything productive William Henry Harrison and John Tyler accomplished together, but they did create our nation's coolest campaign slogan.

George Washington & Nathanael Greene

During the second half of the Revolutionary War, Greene commanded the forces in the South, while Washington commanded the forces in the North, producing an unlikely victory.

Nathanael Greene
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathanael_Greene

John Peter Zenger & Andrew Hamilton

Hamilton was Zenger's defense lawyer at his famous trial in 1735, that established jury rights and freedom of the press.

John Peter Zenger Trial
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/zenger/zenger.html

Dishonest Abe Lincoln & Chief Murderer U.S. Grant

These two men ended the early republic. Lincoln orchestrated the events at Fort Sumter and Grant used a "war of attrition" to wear down the South in 1864 and 1865, causing the death of many thousands of young men.

The Constitution was set up to act as a framework for states to work out their differences in a peaceful manner. This idea ended with Lincoln and Grant.

Other

Galileo Galilei
05-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey, what da ya know! We gotta few votes! Some blankety-blank voted for Lincoln & Grant? Egads, we've been infested by a troll! AAAWWWwww!

Hey, at least someone voted for Zenger.

PS

I wonder if Andrew Hamilton & Alexander Hamilton are related?

Kludge
05-03-2009, 09:30 AM
I figured you were using great as in powerful instead of good.

Galileo Galilei
05-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I figured you were using great as in powerful instead of good.

Oops, I guess there was no vote for Zenger.

risk_reward
05-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm having trouble deciding between

Madison & Jefferson

Madison & Washington

Standing Like A Rock
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Mr. Jefferson and Mr. Madison

YouTube - Mr. Jefferson -The Mike Church Show Band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUBIJCXz9M8)

GunnyFreedom
05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Lulz; I was thinking, "either Jefferson and Madison, or Jefferson and Adams" and I started looking at the list from the bottom up. I'm wondering where the heck is 'Jefferson and Madison?' haha ta daaah! first one on top lol

Liberty Star
05-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Duo will have to have Jefferson in it, conflicted on the second party.

idiom
05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Can we get some more votes for Davy Crockett?

Standing Like A Rock
05-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Davy Crockett/ Jim Bowie/ William Barret Travis and the Stonewall Jackson/ Robert E. Lee combo are good,

but nothing beats Jefferson/Madison.

Galileo Galilei
05-03-2009, 05:35 PM

FYI

Crockett was very good at opposing the slaughter of Indians.

But he backed the Second national bank during the time of Jackson.

At that time, the bank had become corrupt, and was no longer needed as the national debt was paid off. Also, the 20-year charter was almost up. The 20-year charter was put there for a reason, the bank was not meant to be permanent by Madison. Jackson actually went to visit with Madison at Montpelier in 1832 to go over the details.

Crockett argued that the bank allowed the common folk of his district to get loans to help them settle the territory. Crockett seems to have been duped by Biddle.

Galileo Galilei
05-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm having trouble deciding between

Madison & Jefferson

Madison & Washington

A tough choice. I voted for Madison & Jefferson. If you are looking for shear influence on the Founding, an argument can be made for Madison & Washington, because at the time of the Founding 1785-1791, Madison & Washington worked as a tandem, while Jefferson was mostly out of the country.

Madison wrote Washington's inaugural address, then Madison wrote the House's response. Then Madison wrote Washington's response to the House.

As far as getting the Constitution actually written and ratified, Madison was the brains behind the operation and Washington acted as an all influential figurehead.

However, the extended cooperation of Madison & Jefferson seems more important in the long run. The Virginia dynasty was in power for so long, 24 years including Monroe (and 4 more years by Quincy Adams followed pretty much the same policies), that a permanent stamp was put on what our government was supposed to be. Even Jackson was pretty similar to Madison & Jefferson as president, as were van Buren, Tyler, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan.

risk_reward
05-03-2009, 07:10 PM
A tough choice. I voted for Madison & Jefferson. If you are looking for shear influence on the Founding, an argument can be made for Madison & Washington, because at the time of the Founding 1785-1791, Madison & Washington worked as a tandem, while Jefferson was mostly out of the country.

Madison wrote Washington's inaugural address, then Madison wrote the House's response. Then Madison wrote Washington's response to the House.

As far as getting the Constitution actually written and ratified, Madison was the brains behind the operation and Washington acted as an all influential figurehead.

However, the extended cooperation of Madison & Jefferson seems more important in the long run. The Virginia dynasty was in power for so long, 24 years including Monroe (and 4 more years by Quincy Adams followed pretty much the same policies), that a permanent stamp was put on what our government was supposed to be. Even Jackson was pretty similar to Madison & Jefferson as president, as were van Buren, Tyler, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan.

I think a case could be made for Washington and Hamilton as well. I'm not sure if the colonies would have won the war without Hamilton at Washington's side. They were also influential together after the war, although Hamilton's influence was decidedly negative by that point.

DirtMcGirt
05-04-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin485.htm

Chuck Baldwin's column on Lee and Jackson

nate895
05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I wish you separated the military from the political. Militarily, I would have chosen the defenders of the Alamo followed closely by General Jackson and General Lee, and the reason why they come in second is because Lee forgot Sun Tzu at Gettysburg.