PDA

View Full Version : Pro-liberty candidate wins race for Republican precinct chair

w00ter
05-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Pro-liberty and Ron Paul Republican Don Zimmerman wins race for precinct chair

In a test of voting strength and crossover appeal, Don Zimmerman won the race for precinct chair with a vote of 51-30 against the wife of the County Vice Chair.

The vote was taken to fill a vacancy created by the resignation of the previous precinct chair and was done in the Travis County Republican Executive Committee, which consists of the precinct chairs of Travis County, Texas.

The pro-liberty faction had previously lost a vote of about 50 - 30 about 2 months ago which showed how close to (or far away from) the faction was from being able to realize victory in a particular vote.

The Vice Chair resigned the next day, apparently in some sort of protest.

People, we can do this.

w00ter

ItsTime
05-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Congrats!

jsu718
05-02-2009, 01:41 PM
lol @ quitting in protest... because THAT is how government works. :)

Matt Collins
05-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Congrats. As the new vice chair of the Nashville Republican Party (with 7 other liberty minded individuals on the Executive Committee) I can guarantee you that THIS is the way to change the Republican Party; from the inside out!

Keep working at it until you take the whole thing.

w00ter
05-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Congrats. As the new vice chair of the Nashville Republican Party (with 7 other liberty minded individuals on the Executive Committee) I can guarantee you that THIS is the way to change the Republican Party; from the inside out!

Keep working at it until you take the whole thing.

Well, I tell you it doesn't just fall into your lap -- you have to work at it and you have to be there when the opportunity presents itself.

The group has been recruiting for vacant precinct chair positions and becoming precinct chairs, was working for delegate positions last year at the precinct, senate district, and state conventions. All the time the other delegates were seeing us work and what we stood for. And some have even been running for local office like city council, Municipal Utility District, school board, Congress, etc.

w00ter

Matt Collins
05-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Well, I tell you it doesn't just fall into your lap -- you have to work at it and you have to be there when the opportunity presents itself.
I know that from experience. It took us a good year to get where we are at. But we did things right and fortunately we had some insider help.

mczerone
05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Great!

I'm convinced that the most likely path to national-level victory for libertarian/Constitutional ideals is through an eventual rift with the GOP.

There has always been these smaller third parties, but there is no traction because of the entrenched, and corrupt, two party system. The GOP as we know it is dead - the Bush/McCain/Romney/etc. wing has no credibility, only lobbyist support. With a strong showing of Ron Paul type of Republicans being able to convincingly stand on principles the rest of the GOP will either have to give in completely or sever to meld with the Dems to ensure their largess continues. The remainder, you guys, will either carry the GOP torch, or will have a new party name inheriting a coherent, organized wing of an accepted major political party.

Not that I advocate using the fraudulent involuntary political system though, because I don't wish to force other people to not be collectivist, just that all associations must be voluntary and not default by geography.

QueenB4Liberty
05-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Yay, he's a nice guy!!