PDA

View Full Version : So the FDA wants to ban hydroxycut...

muh_roads
05-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Does that mean it actually does help you lose weight?

Natalie
05-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Idk, but I remember seeing a billboard for an attorney a couple months ago that said something like, "Have you had liver damage from Hydroxycut? If so, call us!" So people have been reporting liver damage from the pill before the government stepped in.

heavenlyboy34
05-02-2009, 11:14 AM
article about this in my thread- http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=190994

LibForestPaul
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
This has to do with FDA, Big Pharma, Lawyers...

Big Pharma doesn't like competition
FDA wants a bigger fiefdom.
Lawyers, well $$$

sdczen
05-02-2009, 11:56 AM
So a single death "potentially" linked to Hydroxycut? Sounds about right.:rolleyes:

When FDA tested & approved pharmaceuticals can kill thousands and they still keep it on the market.

Abolish the FDA. I'll take my chances.

ladyjade3
05-02-2009, 12:00 PM
they banned ephedra, so probably so.

angelatc
05-02-2009, 12:12 PM

That's what I said. I loved ephedra.

Natalie
05-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I know this guy who had three heart attacks from ephedra. He was only in his mid 30s.

Working Poor
05-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Abolish the FDA. I'll take my chances.

Here!! Here!!I second that!!

heavenlyboy34
05-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I know this guy who had three heart attacks from ephedra. He was only in his mid 30s.

It took 3 heart attacks for him to figure it out? :eek: We have Darwin award potential there! ;):D

Zippyjuan
05-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Supplelments are not regulated by the FDA- they only step in when problems with them are reported. Supplements and vitamines and the like are not subject to testing before they are released and do not even have to contain what they claim to. Drugs do and are tested prior to release.

Freedom 4 all
05-02-2009, 04:46 PM

Interesting sidenote: hydroxycut started sucking AFTER ephedra was banned. Before that it was great.

Objectivist
05-02-2009, 04:51 PM
article about this in my thread- http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=190994

It couldn't have had anything to do with the bodybuilder who was taking anabolic steroids at the same time taking hydroxycut, could it?

News flash, Hydroxycut 'changes' it's formula and gives some politicians donations to their re-election campaign and everything will be alright. Maybe a small fine for the folks over at FDA to buy new office furniture with.

Objectivist
05-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Supplelments are not regulated by the FDA- they only step in when problems with them are reported. Supplements and vitamines and the like are not subject to testing before they are released and do not even have to contain what they claim to. Drugs do and are tested prior to release.

And the FDA and the politicians want them regulated to get a piece of the pie.

sdczen
05-02-2009, 04:56 PM
If the FDA regulates everything, then they should be solely responsible for any deaths that arise from anything they have a hand in. I've always said that we could abolish the FDA tomorrow if we allowed citizens to sue for damages for their shoddy regulatory work.

Abolish the FDA!

Objectivist
05-02-2009, 05:04 PM
If the FDA regulates everything, then they should be solely responsible for any deaths that arise from anything they have a hand in. I've always said that we could abolish the FDA tomorrow if we allowed citizens to sue for damages for their shoddy regulatory work.

Abolish the FDA!

Absolutely! They hold up drugs that could be saving lives.

Would you approve a drug that cures 85% of cancer while causing strokes in 2% that take the drug?

sdczen
05-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Absolutely! They hold up drugs that could be saving lives.

Would you approve a drug that cures 85% of cancer while causing strokes in 2% that take the drug?

Well I personally would approve any and all drugs. If the drug maker has a potential success rate of 85% and a 2% rate of stroke or heart attack? I would say a nice big warning label (not forced by gov) and a signed contract of purchase stating that you(the individual) will not sue if they are part of the 2%.

FDA problem solved....

Objectivist
05-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Well I personally would approve any and all drugs. If the drug maker has a potential success rate of 85% and a 2% rate of stroke or heart attack? I would say a nice big warning label (not forced by gov) and a signed contract of purchase stating that you(the individual) will not sue if they are part of the 2%.

FDA problem solved....

With the billions spent researching and developing drugs it's in the interest of the drug company to provide a safe product, sounds like we agree on that. Nothing the FDA does helps. Just another of the 14 government regulatory bodies that need to go away.

heavenlyboy34
05-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Abolish the FDA!

I like the way you think about this, good sir! :D:):cool:

GBurr
05-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Hydroxycut has natural stimulants in it. The reason some people have problems with the product is because they have no idea what they are doing. Ephedra was in every fat burner out there because it worked. The reason the FDA starts getting involved is because people can't understand that take no more than 6 means take no more than 6. It does not mean take no more than 6 unless you plateau, then take 12. The other reason people have problems is that they do not hydrate right. Fat burners speed up metabolism and anabolic reaction. This will cause you to sweat a great deal. Usually this will only cause dehydration, however most people on fat burners are also on low carb high protein diets. The high protein with inadequate hydration causes liver and kidney damage. Ephedra was banned for the same stupid reasons.

I can am willing to bet that the problems were caused by diet ignorance or misuse of the product.

TheBMT
05-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Hydroxycut has natural stimulants in it. The reason some people have problems with the product is because they have no idea what they are doing. Ephedra was in every fat burner out there because it worked. The reason the FDA starts getting involved is because people can't understand that take no more than 6 means take no more than 6. It does not mean take no more than 6 unless you plateau, then take 12. The other reason people have problems is that they do not hydrate right. Fat burners speed up metabolism and anabolic reaction. This will cause you to sweat a great deal. Usually this will only cause dehydration, however most people on fat burners are also on low carb high protein diets. The high protein with inadequate hydration causes liver and kidney damage. Ephedra was banned for the same stupid reasons.

I can am willing to bet that the problems were caused by diet ignorance or misuse of the product.

I used to take hydroxycut with ephedra back in my senior year of high school and freshman year of college before it was banned. I treated it like a loaded gun honestly. If I was going to go running I ALWAYS took it after. I didnt need a stimulant to get my heart rate up already when I am running hard for 30 min. I always took 2/3 of the recommended dose for the day. The product still worked and that bottle lasted longer :) . I agree though with diet ignorance and misuses as the causes of why people had issues with it.

angelatc
05-03-2009, 07:54 AM

I don't believe that he didn't already have a condition that led to the heart attacks. There was no documented evidence of anybody having problems related specifically to epherda.

If I lived in a warm climate I'd grow my own.