PDA

View Full Version : The two major wings of the GOP: Taft v. Rockefeller

FrankRep
05-02-2009, 06:12 AM
The two major wings of the GOP: Taft v. Rockefeller

Written by Robert Owens

The GOP has worked hard to be a big tent party but sometimes that leads to groups that have two very different views gathering in the same "huddle." If you have very firm views, (say for example Pro-Life, Pro Gun Ownership) it is worth knowing what candidate is what camp.

The Taft wing comes from Ohio Sen. Robert A. Taft, known as "Mr. GOP". Taft stood for government limited by the Constitution. He stood for foreign policy as limited by the Constitution. He stood for hard money as required by the Constitution. Taft was 100% pro life and 100% pro gun.

A few Members of the Taft wing would include:

Congressman John Ashcroft (Ohio)
Senator Steve Symms (Idaho)
Congresswoman Helen Chenoweth (Idaho)
Congressman Ron Paul (Texas)
Senator Barry Goldwater (Arizona)
Congressman Larry McDonald (Democrat, Georgia)
and many, many more.

The most recent leading intellectual authors of this wing were Russell Kirk and Robert Welch

The most recent best selling authors in the movement are Tom Woods and Cleon Skousen (5000 Year Leap Author) and Gary Allen.

The Rockefeller wing comes from Nelson Rockefeller the man who dominated the "East Coast, Old Money" side of the GOP in the 1970's. The Rockefeller wing views the Constitution as a living document subject to re-interpretation based on current society standards. The Rockefeller wing is pro United Nations, Pro NAFTA, and makes allowances for foreign aid and undeclared wars. The Rockefeller wing chiefly differs from the liberal democrats in that the Rockefeller wing wants a Public/Private partnership to manage big government where the liberal democrats want to cut out the "private" part altogether.

A few members of the Rockefeller wing would include:

NSA Director Henry Kissinger
Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (of the "Contract with America" betrayal)
President Richard Nixon (Founded the EPA....)
President George H.W. Bush ("Read my lips")
Vice President Dick Cheney
Sen. Arlen Specter

The most recent leading intellectual voices of this movement are William F. Buckley Jr. and William Kristol.

Best selling, mass media types in this camp include Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly.

Obviously, I am in the Taft wing.

SOURCE:
http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=17368

ChaosControl
05-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Seriously, do you have to ask? :)

johnrocks
05-02-2009, 07:22 AM

:p

heavenlyboy34
05-02-2009, 07:27 AM
I'm libertarian-I don't need no stinkin GOP :D:cool:

Bradley in DC
05-02-2009, 07:36 AM

+1

paulitics
05-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't think you would have anyone, even on a neoconservative forum admit they are a Rockefeller republican. THey would simply lie and say Dick Cheney is a Taft Republican, and that Larry McDonald was a liberal.

rp08orbust
05-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Was Attorney General John Ashcroft a defender of the Constitution?