PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul: THE candidate for 2010

RonPaulFanInGA
05-02-2009, 01:54 AM
There were a lot of Ron Paul "liberty candidates" in 2008; but the movement rallied around B.J. Lawson. Lawson is the one who got the money (over $550,000) and the buzz.

I know Schiff (very unlikely) may run....but for me, Rand Paul is the candidate for 2010.

Kotin
05-02-2009, 01:56 AM
indeed..

Young Paleocon
05-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Don't forget the other Paul ;), and Lawson may run again.

Matt Collins
05-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Rand Paul is the candidate for 2010.There may be another major candidate...but I can't disclose that right now. ;)

RonPaulFanInGA
05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
The point is, this movement has a strong tendency to rally around one guy. Now for some, donating to all our great candidates is possible, but for me and others, there is only room enough for one. And for me, it's Rand Paul.

Ron Paul will have no trouble winning, Lawson is great but in a district that is unwinnable for a republican, Schiff ain't running and I don't know who Matt is talking about (himself maybe?) but I find it hard to believe there will be another major viable Ron Paul candidate running right now.

Young Paleocon
05-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Lawson may have a shot in the off year election considering all of the Obamabots won't be voting, he has name recognition from the last campaign, CFL is even stronger and larger, and he'll have even more ammo against price for the stimulus and god knows what else. So I think it's possible in the midterm.

Nirvikalpa
05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
need a rand bomb before a kokesh bomb

RonPaulFanInGA
05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Maybe. Lawson and his 530,000 dollars got 37% of the vote, pretty much the same as the 2004 republican candidate against David Price (Todd Anthony Batchelor), who raised 49,000 dollars.

The Obamabots and the huge black turnout made Lawson pretty much "break even" despite all the cash. In a normal voter turnout, he'd probably have gotten around 45% of the vote.

Matt Collins
05-02-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't know who Matt is talking about (himself maybe?) but I find it hard to believe there will be another major viable Ron Paul candidate running right now.NOT HARDLY! HA.... I'm not foolish enough to run for an office at this point in time.... I don't have what it takes to win currently. TRUST ME, I'm not running for office in the near future. I'm too young, too broke, and too unconnected (yet). I've promised myself that I will only run if I have a chance of winning.

And yes there is another major viable RP candidate on the other side of the horizon but I'm under a NDA. Just be prepared and start saving your money.

Matt Collins
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
need a rand bomb before a kokesh bombYes the problem is that we're going to have candidates that are going to run that have no chance of winning. That will sadly siphon off resources from those that DO have a chance of winning. I don't know if Kokesh, Lawson, and Schiff have a chance, I haven't run the numbers for their districts yet.

Kotin
05-02-2009, 08:02 PM
There may be another major candidate...but I can't disclose that right now. ;)

I dub thee ghemminger..;):p

RonPaulFanInGA
05-02-2009, 08:05 PM
And yes there is another major viable RP candidate on the other side of the horizon but I'm under a NDA. Just be prepared and start saving your money.

Come on, give us a hint. What state? :D

Yes the problem is that we're going to have candidates that are going to run that have no chance of winning. That will sadly siphon off resources from those that DO have a chance of winning. I don't know if Kokesh, Lawson, and Schiff have a chance, I haven't run the numbers for their districts yet.

I agree. Lawson has no chance sadly. Kokesh is running as an independent, which means he is likely doomed (again, sadly, but this is the way our two-party system currently works.) Schiff might win but he isn't running and that is probably for the best as he'd drain resouces from Rand Paul and maybe whoever you're talking about.

RSLudlum
05-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Maybe. Lawson and his 530,000 dollars got 37% of the vote, pretty much the same as the 2004 republican candidate against David Price (Todd Anthony Batchelor), who raised 49,000 dollars.

The Obamabots and the huge black turnout made Lawson pretty much "break even" despite all the cash. In a normal voter turnout, he'd probably have gotten around 45% of the vote.

Here in SC, Bob Conley got 42% of the vote spending only $17K vs. Graham's $3.6million. Conley did alot of travelling and taking every chance he could to get the little media exposure he recieved. There's plenty of R's that are disgusted with Graham but then there's alot of Dem support for him (even leading SC Dem's supported Graham, and totally ignored Conley).

Matt Collins
05-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Come on, give us a hint. What state?
Sorry, I can't do it, I gave my word. And if I discuss it prematurely people's lives could be ruined, and not to mention the entire tilt of Congress hangs in the balance. It would be highly irresponsible to the good of the country for me to say who.

But I do want everyone to know that there is another, and they are serious, and that we should all start saving our money for when the time is right.

I agree. Lawson has no chance sadly.I think there is a slight possibility of him being able to win in today's current politican climate. However it won't be easy. Why not let the movement focus on the low hanging fruit instead?

Kokesh is running as an independent, which means he is likely doomed (again, sadly, but this is the way our two-party system currently works.) Schiff might win but he isn't running and that is probably for the best as he'd drain resouces from Rand Paul and maybe whoever you're talking about.I completely agree with that analysis. While it would be best for the country to have all of these people in office, the liberty movement needs to focus on attainable goals.

No1ButPaul08
05-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I hope Matt is talking about RP running for Senate in TX.

Matt Collins
05-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I hope Matt is talking about RP running for Senate in TX.No. I tend to doubt that Ron could win a TX Senate seat. The political machine there would not be in his favor.

No1ButPaul08
05-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Here in SC, Bob Conley got 42% of the vote spending only $17K vs. Graham's $3.6million. Conley did alot of travelling and taking every chance he could to get the little media exposure he recieved. There's plenty of R's that are disgusted with Graham but then there's alot of Dem support for him (even leading SC Dem's supported Graham, and totally ignored Conley).

I've been wondering if it would be better for certain candidates to run as a Democrat like Conley did. This would only work in conservative districts where the D nomination isn't highly sought after. The idea would be to win the D nomination then convince some of the R's to vote for you, counting on the D's voting for you because of the letter next to your name. Conley was working at a huge fundraising disadvantage and still got 42% because of the letter next to his name.

When RP first ran for Congress he got advice from Larry McDonald. RP asked him what party he should run in and McDonald, a Democrat, told RP to run in whichever party gave him the best chance to win. Ron correctly chose to run as a Republican.

I think RJ Harris would probably have a better shot running as a Democrat, than as a Republican. He will probably get beat in the primary by Cole the incumbent 80-20. The Democrat running against Cole gets 30-35 in the GE. If Harris could win the D primary, he would already be starting with 30% of the vote, and then he could start convincing Republicans to vote for him. He would also have a much easier time fundraising as a GE candidate. I realize Conley didn't fundraise well but that was for a Senate seat and most people saw he was so far behind in fundraising it wasn't even worth it to donate, not too mention his anti-free trade views that turned many off.

Njon
05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
We need to be prepared to back good Congressional candidates in 2010, but it's the gubernatorial races that are most important. We have a far better chance at taking back the republic at the state level than at the federal level.

See:
1. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=181735
2. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=189483
3. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=187209
4. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=187620

muzzled dogg
05-03-2009, 07:31 PM
need a rand bomb before a kokesh bomb

ya

RonPaulFanInGA
05-04-2009, 06:33 AM
No. I tend to doubt that Ron could win a TX Senate seat. The political machine there would not be in his favor.

I'm just gonna throw a bunch of guesses out, on the off-chance one is actually right just say it's wrong. ;)

1. Ron Paul runs for Governor of Texas

2. Jesse Ventura running for Minnesota Governor

3. Andrew Napolitano running for something in New Jersey (Governor?)

pacelli
05-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Schiff might win but he isn't running and that is probably for the best as he'd drain resouces from Rand Paul and maybe whoever you're talking about.

Schiff isn't running? Then what happened to all the money from the "draft schiff" scam?

Matt Collins
05-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Schiff isn't running? Then what happened to all the money from the "draft schiff" scam?He's not currently running. That isn't to say he won't run, but at the present, he isn't running.