PDA

View Full Version : "Jeb Bush to help party rebuild"

tsopranos
05-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Are they just throwing names out there to see what bites? WTF

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/1028518.html

Money quote from the article...

Dubbed ''King Jeb'' by one Democratic lawmaker, Bush intervened in the Terri Schiavo right-to-die case, helped wrap up the controversial 2000 presidential election that put his brother in office

AdamT
05-01-2009, 09:55 PM
LOL...riiiiiight...

Drknows
05-01-2009, 10:25 PM
SA says it best in his latest video.
YouTube - SA@Takimag - Is the GOP Too Conservative? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp4jwtFlXho)

Andrew-Austin
05-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Jeb: Don't worry, I'm here to fix the party that my brother completely fucked up. George just wasn't tough enough on the terrorists, but I'll fix that by making it the GOP's mission to pass the Security from Freedom Act and Obliteration of Domestic Terrorists act.

tsopranos
05-01-2009, 10:54 PM
That Southern Avenger video is spot on. Good stuff

sparebulb
05-02-2009, 12:28 AM
"Jeb Bush to help party rebuild"

I just threw up in my mouth.

Bill M DC
05-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Duuuh, what are we gonna do now George?

IPSecure
05-02-2009, 03:09 PM
"Jeb Bush to help party rebuild"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/undeniablynikki/Gifs/SouthPark/southpart-beatdeadhorse.gif

RSLudlum
05-02-2009, 03:15 PM
LOL...Didn't he help destroy it?

Matt Collins
05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I lived in FL under Jeb, and while not a liberty person, he was a decent enough governor. He is MUCH DIFFERENT than his brother without any doubts. Our country wouldn't be in such a mess right now if Jeb had been in the Oval instead of W. Would I vote for Jeb for President? More than likely not. But Jeb |= W.

angelatc
05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
LOL...Didn't he help destroy it?

I think that he was pretty popular in Florida.

Brian4Liberty
05-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I lived in FL under Jeb, and while not a liberty person, he was a decent enough governor. He is MUCH DIFFERENT than his brother without any doubts. Our country wouldn't be in such a mess right now if Jeb had been in the Oval instead of W. Would I vote for Jeb for President? More than likely not. But Jeb |= W.

Sorry, fooled me twice, shame on me. No more Bushes. Ever.

qh4dotcom
05-03-2009, 12:27 AM

I live in FL too and Jeb was a decent governor...but no more Bushes for me as well...I prefer liberty-minded candidates now.

Athan
05-03-2009, 01:11 AM

AGREED. I'm bush-whacked and I'm almost certain the whole country is as well.

Southern Avenger has it right. No more neocons.

HOLLYWOOD
05-03-2009, 06:15 AM
The USUAL NEOCON SUSPECTS: Jeb Bush, Eric Cantor, & Mitt Romney

Here's the C-SPAN video coverage of the Town hall meeting:
http://www.c-span.com/Watch/Media/2009/05/02/HP/A/18127/GOP+Town+Hall+Meeting.aspx

GOP Leaders Try to Polish Party's Image

Three Launch Policy-Focused Effort

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/02/AR2009050202082.html

By Perry Bacon Jr. (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/perry+bacon+jr./)
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 3, 2009

A group of prominent GOP leaders yesterday launched an effort to improve their party's sagging image, hosting an event at which they did not directly attack President Obama, rarely used the word "Republican" and engaged in a healthy dose of self-criticism.
At a pizza restaurant in Arlington, where they officially unveiled the National Council for a New America, party leaders attempted to portray Republicans as sensitive to the concerns of average Americans and to shake off the "Party of No" label that Democrats have tried to affix to the GOP.
House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/c001046) (Va.) rejected the idea that yesterday's event, the first in a national series, was about "rebranding" the GOP, but it gave the impression of a party looking for a fresh start. Cantor, former Florida governor Jeb Bush and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney sat on stools and lobbed criticism at "Washington" and "liberals." They took few shots at Obama as they pledged to start a "conversation" with voters around the country.
The three men were flanked by banners bearing the name of the council and its Web address (http:// (http://www.wethepeopleplan.org/)www.wethepeopleplan.org (http://www.wethepeopleplan.org)), but there were no obvious signs that it was a major Republican initiative. They repeatedly noted that they were speaking about policy, not politics, and they touted conservative ideas on issues such as health care and education while bemoaning initiatives that involved more government intervention.

In answering an attack on Obama, Bush included a critique of his own party.
"To candidate Obama's credit, he waged a 2008 campaign that was relevant for people's aspirations, whether you agree with him or not. It was not a look back, but a look forward," Bush said. Comparing the GOP's campaign themes last year, he said: "I felt like there was a lot of nostalgia for the good old days in the messaging."
Cantor took the lead in forming the group, which he says is officially nonpartisan, though it includes no Democrats and will be operated out of his office.
The initiative reflects the emerging consensus of Republican leaders on how to take on Obama and rebuild their party. Worried that the GOP is being portrayed only as the opposition party, prominent Republicans hope to draw attention to their agenda by using well-known figures such as Bush and Romney to tout their ideas. But they don't believe they need to shift their political views to the left or the right to win.

"Our party has taken its licks over the last couple of cycles; no one is under any illusions about that," Cantor said. "But that's why we're here. It's important for us to reengage with the people of this country. . . . The prescriptions coming out of Washington are not really reflective of the mainstream."
The town-hall-style event was also the latest signal of Cantor's emergence as one of the party's leading voices. He announced the group's creation in a conference call Thursday, even as House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/b000589) (R-Ohio) was bashing Obama to reporters.
No other party leaders in Congress attended the event, although Cantor aides said that they were invited and that some will participate in future events.
Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele was not included; Cantor's office said that doing so would have made the effort seem more partisan. But much of what the group will do mirrors work being done by the new chairman, who has been traveling the country and soliciting ideas from Republicans about how to improve the party. Steele is battling the idea that he is something of a liability for the party because of his gaffes.

Romney is widely seen as preparing for a second presidential run in 2012, while Bush is eager to assert himself in the debate over how the GOP should reshape itself.
The three offered a few new ideas -- Bush, for instance, suggested charging lower tuition rates for college students who major in fields where there is a shortage of workers, such as nursing. But the general message was clear, if not directly spoken: While they disagree with Obama, Republicans need to build credibility through their own policy ideas instead of bashing the president.
"From the conservative side, it's time for us to listen first, upgrade our message a bit, not be nostalgic about the old days," Bush said.
A standing-room-only crowd of more than 100 packed the Pie-tanza restaurant for yesterday's event.
"I'm glad to hear them keep talking about listening," said Brian Summers, a Republican activist who lives in Washington.

ItsTime
05-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Out with the old in with the old!

The SA was great. I think I will send it to the members of my local GOP.

Aratus
05-03-2009, 08:22 AM
some four years ago, i thought 2008 would boil down to Jeb verses Hillary...
i was close to being perceptive concerning the two main Democrats, and if i was
only off by 4 or 8 years given the way some voters lack memory cells...???

Aratus
05-03-2009, 08:26 AM
we need rEVOLUTIOn candidates... to counter this all! --- Rand Paul in 2012!!!

HOLLYWOOD
05-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Out with the Old in with the Old!

The SA was great. I think I will send it to the members of my local GOP.

http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/2009/04/29/D97SF9I80_us_loyal_opposition/

Let us not forget... The RNC/GOP secret meeting in Virginia, following the Obama landslide victory in NOV 2008. The NEOCON insider CLICKE crowd, didn't even notify a majority of House republicans about the secret GOP power meeting. Remember how CNN's John Roberts had to notified Ron Paul of the secret meeting live on the air? Hmm, the GOP appears to be shaping Cantor and Romney as pivot points for 2012. Sad, considering both have corruptions and political failures in their pasts. Cantor voted for the bailout and medicare, Romney, well, business sleaze and government mandate disasters.

There's now the additional coordinated public push by; ex Bushies, RNC, GOP, advisors/analysis/minions on a national 'Home Town' meeting. Ed Gillespie, Former Counselor to Pres. George W. Bush, was on C-SPAN's Washington Journal this morning spewing "THE SAME OLD".

It's a Big Inner Circle, and true republicans aren't allowed in it. The NEW OLD... no matter what gimmick they come up with for the public and party members to swallow, it will FAIL.

parke
05-03-2009, 11:44 AM
excuse me while I go laugh my ass off.

kahless
05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately Americans respond to simple name recognition. The media will push it just the same as well as the globalist oligarchs footing the bill. Foxnews will eat it up and we will hear Hannity calling him a great American. Newt and Karl Rove will be singing his praises on Fox.

Can a decent Libertarian please buy a friggin news channel and some newspapers so we can get exposure to really rebuild the Republican party or develop a real third party alternative already.

anaconda
05-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Jeb: Don't worry, I'm here to fix the party that my brother completely fucked up. George just wasn't tough enough on the terrorists, but I'll fix that by making it the GOP's mission to pass the Security from Freedom Act and Obliteration of Domestic Terrorists act.

Exactly. They'll be looking to register all neocon voters they missed previously.

klamath
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
This kind of stuff reinforces the idea that 2012 is a lost cause and we need to look forward to 2016. Looking at the bright side I would rather Jeb or Romney lost to Obama in 2012 not Ron or Rand.

kahless
05-03-2009, 12:18 PM
This kind of stuff reinforces the idea that 2012 is a lost cause and we need to look forward to 2016. Looking at the bright side I would rather Jeb or Romney lost to Obama in 2012 not Ron or Rand.

Freedom cannot wait that long.

mczerone
05-03-2009, 02:35 PM

I honestly can't imagine the economy holding out through Nov. 2012, and incumbents don't really do that well if the economy stinks.

But FDR sat through how many crappy economic terms?

Regardless, Getting the new face on the GOP and losing the vote is better than allowing another red v. blue, two party dichotomy, my big state is better than your big state election cycle.

We've already served our sit on the sidelines, pay your dues "rags" portion of the story - it's time to go to the big dance, and let the neo-cons scrub floors in some discredited, kooky third party.

anaconda
05-04-2009, 12:01 AM

Not necessarily. I think this noise from the party bosses may be a last desperate attempt to act like they are still in charge. A lot can happen in 3 or 4 years. They are acting like they are reforming the Republican Party when in actuality they are going to all be thrown on the permanent scrap heap.

devil21
05-04-2009, 02:13 AM

Ahhh but the question is: Was GWB a terrible governor? I think the answer is no. What they do at the state level means nothing. Remember that GWB won in 2000 on small gov't, low spending, no empire building, etc. I imagine he sorta walked the walk while governor of TX. However, once they get the taste of the ultimate power trip as POTUS, everything that mattered before means NOTHING. In fact, I submit that the governorship (for those with higher aspirations) is only a venue to build a facade of perceived policy so that they can be electable on either a D or R presidential ticket. Once elected the facade is brought down and the true colors come shining through. GWB is a prime example of this actually.

I think that he was pretty popular in Florida.

You mean where all the old people, Jews, and Cubans live? Yeah its a shocker that a Bush would be popular there :rolleyes:

devil21
05-04-2009, 02:17 AM
double tap

BenIsForRon
05-04-2009, 02:21 AM

I think you mean:

YouTube - Bush (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rovQj9vNq8I)

Objectivist
05-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Are they just throwing names out there to see what bites? WTF

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/1028518.html

Money quote from the article...

Dubbed ''King Jeb'' by one Democratic lawmaker, Bush intervened in the Terri Schiavo right-to-die case, helped wrap up the controversial 2000 presidential election that put his brother in office

If you fling enough crap at the wall some is bound to stick.