PDA

View Full Version : All in the Family

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Few things have had a more major impact on American public thinking in my lifetime than Norman Lear's sitcom All in the Family. Now, we're not Norman Lear and the odds we'll be getting aired on G.E.'s NBC (for instance) are about zero. But with the internet, we don't have to. Television is more of a wasteland than ever with talent stretched out over a billion 24-hour channels and the network content nazis more strict than ever, but that's just an advantage.

We could create a weekly netcast that emulates All in the Family, but with a twist--namely we replace Archie Bunker with a character hopelessly and energetically addicted to the blue pill and replace Mike Stivic the liberal with a libertarian paleoconservative. Add the sort of comic relief that Jean Stapleton and Sally Struthers provided, and we could well make it more entertaining than anything on television today. Put an episode up on the web every week and you could get a hell of a following built up. And with some of the writers we have around here--and some of the experiences we have dealing with Flavor Aid drinkers over the last year and a half--we could come up with some truly entertaining scripts. And if Rush or Obama or someone else spews some real garbage during the week, we'll have the perfect place to expose its flaws.

As Oscar Wilde said, if you're going to tell them the truth be sure to make them laugh--otherwise they'll kill you, or words to that effect. So far, we've merely been making them want to kill us. I say it's time to make them laugh instead.

Whaddaya think? Can we do this? What would it take? Would we need a studio, or could it be done in a home? Do we have actors willing and all in close enough proximity to get together every week? Can we be dedicated enough to religiously get the script ideas--and scripts--done in time, week after week? What premise would both give us the best vehicle for exposing our views, and at the same time give us the greatest opportunity for laughs?

dannno
05-01-2009, 10:51 AM
We could create a weekly netcast that emulates All in the Family, but with a twist--namely we replace Archie Bunker with a character hopelessly and energetically addicted to the blue pill and replace Mike Stivic the liberal with a libertarian paleoconservative.

Wow. Genius. That is an amazing idea, I think.

All in the Family was a great show. You can watch quite a few episodes on youtube.

Deborah K
05-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I LOVE this idea!

kathy88
05-01-2009, 11:48 AM
THIS would be awesome! I'd love to take a crack at writing some for it. We have a lot of ammunition here.

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks!

We'd need some quality equipment, and some people willing to work on the sound and do some slick editing.

We'd also have to make sure we didn't rip the premise off too closely. Duplicate the dynamic, yes, but not the situation. We don't want these guys forced into constant contact because they love the same woman, one as a daughter and the other as a wife. We could have an idiot boss and his paleo employee who keeps saving the company's butt, perhaps. That would give us the opportunity to have a constant supply of comedic side characters (other employees)...

ClayTrainor
05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
I love this idea. I would chipin for this, and Im sure i could tackle the video editing if you need someone.

RevolutionSD
05-01-2009, 12:02 PM
REALLY good idea but I want to make the Meathead character an anarchist rather than a libertarian paleoconservative. TRUE red pill.

dannno
05-01-2009, 12:07 PM
We could call it "All in the Village" after Hillary's book "It Takes a Village"

Unless somebody can think of a title that has more global connotations without sounding nonsensical..

dannno
05-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Maybe Joe Rogan would be down to play Meathead.

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 12:08 PM
REALLY good idea but I want to make the Meathead character an anarchist rather than a libertarian paleoconservative. TRUE red pill.

Oh, here we go! :rolleyes::p:D Though that might well be funnier.

Seriously, though, let's get into logistics. To do the office thing, we'd need, in addition to some good A-V equipment, a couple of hams and a large, furnished, well-lit office--and we'd need all these things in close proximity to each other. We can get volunteer writing and editing from anywhere, thanks to the net. But these elements would have to be in the same town.

heavenlyboy34
05-01-2009, 12:19 PM
lolz...you could pull the scripts almost directly from the MSM!! :)

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 12:24 PM
lolz...you could pull the scripts almost directly from the MSM!! :)

Pretty much, yeah. Want to bring up a current topic? Park these two in front of a tv--or have a radio in the office, or whatever.

Come on, folks! Who has a quality cam with stabilization--and knows how to use it? We aren't going to get any help from the MSM on this. If it's going to happen, we're going to have to do it ourselves. Without this, a set and a couple of people willing to do the acting and all close together, we'd be stuck doing audio only like a radio show.

I would do the Stivic character, and have a friend who would be great in the other role, though he lives a few hundred miles away. But I sure don't have access to the equipment or set we'd need. Anyone?

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, listen to the crickets.

If you like the idea, please help me keep it bumped. Hopefully someone will see it over the weekend who can get their hands on the tools we need...

Meanwhile, does someone have a better idea than the office setting? Some other thing that forces these very different people into constant contact?

heavenlyboy34
05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Pretty much, yeah. Want to bring up a current topic? Park these two in front of a tv--or have a radio in the office, or whatever.

Come on, folks! Who has a quality cam with stabilization--and knows how to use it? We aren't going to get any help from the MSM on this. If it's going to happen, we're going to have to do it ourselves. Without this, a set and a couple of people willing to do the acting and all close together, we'd be stuck doing audio only like a radio show.

I would do the Stivic character, and have a friend who would be great in the other role, though he lives a few hundred miles away. But I sure don't have access to the equipment or set we'd need. Anyone?

I don't have a cam, but I may contribute some writing if I think of something. I'll subscribe to this thread as a reminder. :cool:

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
We might not need equipment all that good, given good editors like Clay (thanks for offering, CT). Though we might have to record all the dialogue over and dub it, in lieu of proper equipment. We'd have to think about foley artistry, too...

If we don't figure some way out to bring the video quality up to snuff, people will get distracted and disgusted with it too soon.

Deborah K
05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Well, listen to the crickets.

If you like the idea, please help me keep it bumped. Hopefully someone will see it over the weekend who can get their hands on the tools we need...

Meanwhile, does someone have a better idea than the office setting? Some other thing that forces these very different people into constant contact?

What about 2 neighbors doing lawn work over the weekends? Some of the scenes could be over a weekend BBQ at one or the others' house? Maybe show them having a beer at the local bar?

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
What about 2 neighbors doing lawn work over the weekends? Some of the scenes could be over a weekend BBQ at one or the others' house? Maybe show them having a beer at the local bar?

Certainly lets us film in a variety of locations. Wonder if that's an advantage or a hardship--gives us more options, but if we need sets that's more of them. Probably an advantage--particularly the outdoor settings would eliminate the need for lighting...

It would sure give us opportunity to try a variety of auxilliary characters and see what works. Bartender, other neighbors, waiter or waitress at the local breakfast diner, various relatives--the list is endless.

Deborah K
05-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Certainly lets us film in a variety of locations. Wonder if that's an advantage or a hardship--gives us more options, but if we need sets that's more of them. Probably an advantage--particularly the outdoor settings would eliminate the need for lighting...

It would sure give us opportunity to try a variety of auxilliary characters and see what works. Bartender, other neighbors, waiter or waitress at the local breakfast diner, various relatives--the list is endless.

I'm thinking it eliminates the need for a stage and props. But the cast and crew will of course have to be centrally located.

Deborah K
05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Who has the best sense of humor on the forums?

NYgs23
05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
LOL. I already included something like in a novel I'm writing, but it's just a bit scene between two minor characters. And the "anarchist" is a teenaged girl.

You'd have to be very careful not to make it preachy. Or too much of a rip-off.

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
True on the set, but filming in direct sunlight poses its own problems. They can be overcome, though. And the best sense of humor doesn't always translate into the best comedic timing. What we need is a couple of real hams!

diggronpaul
05-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Archie Bunker & Propaganda (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=183333)

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Archie Bunker & Propaganda (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=183333)

Yup. Good weapon, isn't it? About time we used it for a good purpose!

Danke
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
This is really a fantastic idea.

I'll chip in if Kludge plays the Meathead.

revolutionisnow
05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Good Idea. As long as you have good lighting I think you could get away with using lower end equipment at first, and then once you have viewers and know it is something everyone is going to follow through with it will be easier to acquire donations and sponsors.

Here is a site which has some popular webshows
http://revision3.com/shows/

BuddyRey
05-01-2009, 05:07 PM
What we need is a couple of real hams!

You rang???? :D

CaseyJones
05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
dude great idea

MsDoodahs
05-01-2009, 06:20 PM
bump for a great idea!

:)

heavenlyboy34
05-01-2009, 06:33 PM
bump for a great idea!

:)

Thanx, MsD! I need the reminder! :o:cool::) ~hugs~

BeFranklin
05-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Make Gloria a stronger character, and one is the anarchist, and the other the minarchist. They sometimes dispute while Archie says see! I told you. Meathead.

Carole
05-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Great idea! Through comedy people become informed as they are spoon fed the truth through the genius of "spoofing".

Got to sleep on this. :D

CaseyJones
05-02-2009, 07:06 AM
bump

james1906
05-02-2009, 09:43 AM
To a certain extent, wasn't this show already done?

I'm talking about Family Ties.

heavenlyboy34
05-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Make Gloria a stronger character, and one is the anarchist, and the other the minarchist. They sometimes dispute while Archie says see! I told you. Meathead.

why? In real life, the anarchist argument is always the most logical. ;):cool::)

Ozwest
05-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I grew up as a youngster watching "All in the Family"

I reckon your concept of role-reversals is brilliant, and is going to have mass appeal very shortly.

Get past the do-gooder media, and you've got a willing audience!

Stick with it.

heavenlyboy34
05-02-2009, 12:30 PM
OP-btw, All in the family was set about 40 years ago. Do you mind if I set the plot for my screenplays in "today" (so as to be more relevant to viewers)?

Ozwest
05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
The "irony" would work. Start reversing roles, and people would immediately start connecting.

Perhaps... Set it in Detroit. Auto worker has his Wall Street son-in-law and his wife move in with him as they are all unemployed.

Hahaha. Perfect!

Ozwest
05-02-2009, 12:43 PM
That's a go-er.

acptulsa
05-04-2009, 06:05 AM
The "irony" would work. Start reversing roles, and people would immediately start connecting.

Perhaps... Set it in Detroit. Auto worker has his Wall Street son-in-law and his wife move in with him as they are all unemployed.

Hahaha. Perfect!

Interesting concept. Little too much like the original, maybe, but I like the Wall St./Detroit angle. A lot.

Don't know, though. Seems like they should be from opposite sides of the Mississippi, somehow. A former autoworker on the Iowa farm, maybe? I'd rather have a broke broker on the Iowa farm, though, even though the former is more likely...

acptulsa
05-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Make Gloria a stronger character.

I'm liking it. How's this? Old Iowa farmer who can work his son in law under the table. His truck keeps running, while his son-in-law's yuppiemobile can't handle the gravel road. Farmer says little but, "Nope. T'ain't right."

The daughter/wife, in a reversal of the Dharma & Greg thing, is the one who keeps coming up with things like, "Didn't you tell me the Chinese have stopped buying our debt? Doesn't that mean that what you say won't be possible?" And her mother (remember the great comedic influence--and the dingbatian sanity--of Jean Stapleton's epic rendition of Edith?) keeps coming up with memories of the New Deal. She remembers them fondly, then talks about how they backfired big time in the long run.

Would be educational. Could be funny, too.

Ozwest
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Interesting concept. Little too much like the original, maybe, but I like the Wall St./Detroit angle. A lot.

Don't know, though. Seems like they should be from opposite sides of the Mississippi, somehow. A former autoworker on the Iowa farm, maybe? I'd rather have a broke broker on the Iowa farm, though, even though the former is more likely...

I guess Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, Big Brother, and all the other reality shows syndicated across the World are original.

We need another "Meathead."

The "Office" is syndicated from the U.K. (the only one worth watching).

georgiaboy
05-04-2009, 07:31 AM
bumpers ftw. me likey.

how about walstreetpro2 for a character? this guy always cracks me up.
YouTube - U.S. bankrupt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxPcJyypUKc&)

CaseyJones
05-09-2009, 04:42 PM
anyone still working on this idea?

mediahasyou
05-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Drew Carey anyone? :)