PDA

View Full Version : Bunning poised to retire, "gives blessing" to rival Grayson

silverhawks
04-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Bunning poised to retire (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21956.html)

Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning gives his leading GOP rival the blessing to prepare to run for his seat next year.

Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning, the most endangered Republican up for reelection in 2010, appears headed for retirement after giving his leading GOP rival the blessing to prepare to run for his seat next year.

Bunning’s retirement would be a huge victory for national Republicans who have grown increasingly nervous that the 77-year-old two-term senator would lose a critical race as the party tries to cling to its diminished minority in the Senate.

On Thursday afternoon, Kentucky GOP Secretary of State Trey Grayson announced that he would form an exploratory committee to run for Bunning’s seat — a move that Kentucky GOP operatives say is a precursor to Bunning's retirement. Grayson's entry will come as a relief to Kentucky Republicans and Senate GOP leaders, who may now have reason to believe their party could hold on to this seat.

“He told Trey to do this,” one senior congressional official said of Bunning. “Why else would he tell his main rival to prepare for a run?”

Added one senior Senate GOP aide: “For the first time, we now know who the Republican nominee will be next November and that’s Trey Grayson. He’s by far the best-positioned Republican to be competitive and hopefully win in the fall. It’s not even close.”

Asked to comment outside the Senate chamber Thursday, Bunning said: "I won't talk to you."

“Republican can breathe a great sigh of relief, not just in Kentucky but also nationally. It’s a great development for McConnell,” said Al Cross, director of the Institute for Rural Journalism and Community Issues at the University of Kentucky. “The party has been in a world of hurt and [with Bunning in the race] this was the Democrats’ number one pickup opportunity.”

Even without Bunning in the field, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee still plans on targeting the race.

“We feel that Democrats can pick up Kentucky’s senate seat whether Sen. Bunning or Senator McConnell’s handpicked candidate Trey Grayson is running,” said Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman Eric Schultz.

In a statement, Grayson said he doesn’t plan on running against Bunning and is merely making preparations to run in case Bunning does not run for a third term.

“I have formed an exploratory committee to allow me to formally raise and spend funds as I seek support for a bid for U.S. Senate,” Grayson said in a statement.

“I have no plans to run against Sen. Bunning. This exploratory committee will allow me to travel the commonwealth, meet with potential supporters and lay the foundation for a campaign.”

One Kentucky Republican operative said that the seeds of Bunning’s decision were planted at a public event back in Kentucky that both Grayson and Bunning attended several weeks ago. Bunning sensed that Grayson was getting anxious waiting for him to decide whether to run for re-election, so he told Grayson that he should just form an exploratory committee.

gls
04-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Added one senior Senate GOP aide: “For the first time, we now know who the Republican nominee will be next November and that’s Trey Grayson. He’s by far the best-positioned Republican to be competitive and hopefully win in the fall. It’s not even close.”

Apparently there isn't even a need to hold a primary. :rolleyes:

torchbearer
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Rand Paul 2010. Here we come beeotch!

MRoCkEd
04-30-2009, 04:36 PM
RAND PAUL 2010 (http://www.rand2010.com/)

No1ButPaul08
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes!! I thought the GOP leader of the Senate David Williams was McConnell's pick?

Kotin
04-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Rand Paul 2010!!!

Bern
04-30-2009, 05:47 PM
It's on.

spotics
04-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Grayson will be the most difficult Republican to beat. Unless more Republicans jump in the race dividing the vote it will be a uphill battle.

Dreamofunity
04-30-2009, 06:40 PM
What's the likelihood of Rand being able to beat Grayson in the primary?

Is Grayson well known and liked by the people or just someone the establishment is pushing?

What if Rand had a massive money bomb to back him?

What is the likelihood of the Democrats beating Grayson? Chances of beating Rand?

spotics
04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
What's the likelihood of Rand being able to beat Grayson in the primary?

Is Grayson well known and liked by the people or just someone the establishment is pushing?

What if Rand had a massive money bomb to back him?

What is the likelihood of the Democrats beating Grayson? Chances of beating Rand?

Grayson is a total phoney, a former Democrat turned Rino, but probably the most popular Reoublican in the state. He is the most difficult opponent the Republicans can come up with. It is also possible that he could fix the election as he is secretary of state. He is a mainstream media darling and loved by these crooked Republicans.

What will make him rather difficult is he has no voting record to use against him. David Williams would have been the perfect opponent for Rand, as he voted to raise our taxes four times in the last legislative session.

Don't Tread on Mike
04-30-2009, 07:14 PM
This is exciting news. Rand 2010 baby, may the grassroots be with you.

spotics
04-30-2009, 07:21 PM
I will say that Grayson could be beat. There are still plenty of people both Democrat and Republican who don't trust him. However I hope there is a crowded primary which would divide the establishment votes. My congressman, Ed Whitfield is considering running for this seat as is David Williams, whom would probably benefit from a crowded primary as well.

Austin
04-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Well, I'm ready to travel to Kentucky next summer (or this summer). :)

Kotin
04-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Well, I'm ready to travel to Kentucky next summer (or this summer). :)

+1... I really would if he decides to run..

tangent4ronpaul
04-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Rand Paul 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!

But a reminder people - Rand's home town Meetup is about to go away - someone PLEASE ADOPT IT!

-t

Austin
04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
+1... I really would if he decides to run..

Excellent. I look forward to seeing you there! :):cool:

Aratus
05-01-2009, 09:05 AM
if bunning's understanding is inside rand paul's vow not to run against senator bunning
then grayson's candidacy is under a totally different set of informal rules. clearly rand paul
has made no promice in terms of his hat being tossed in the ring, and is totally free and open
to claiming the senate seat AFTER a vigorous run. i feel that rand paul will trounce grayson
and then sit in the senate! we know bunning is an auld politico who knows the landscape!:cool:

itshappening
05-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Grayson is a total phoney, a former Democrat turned Rino, but probably the most popular Reoublican in the state. He is the most difficult opponent the Republicans can come up with. It is also possible that he could fix the election as he is secretary of state. He is a mainstream media darling and loved by these crooked Republicans.

What will make him rather difficult is he has no voting record to use against him. David Williams would have been the perfect opponent for Rand, as he voted to raise our taxes four times in the last legislative session.

Mitch is clever, he knows that Rand is going to run so has put this guy up.

devil21
05-01-2009, 04:40 PM
If the GOP wants to hold onto that seat, I think Rand has to be the nominee. He'll get a hell of a lot more support than this Grayson fella. Another establishment hack won't fare well.

Hey Rand, want a few million for your race? Just let us know.

Matt Collins
05-01-2009, 07:56 PM
[/URL][url]http://www.wbko.com/news/headlines/44184752.html (http://www.wbko.com/news/headlines/44184752.html)

Looks like the signals are starting to come out...:DThank you for sharing this. I hadn't seen it before.

No1ButPaul08
05-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Bump for laughs. These Senior GOP guys can't seem to get anything right.

Kentucky Sen. Jim Bunning, the most endangered Republican up for reelection in 2010, appears headed for retirement after giving his leading GOP rival the blessing to prepare to run for his seat next year.

Bunning’s retirement would be a huge victory for national Republicans who have grown increasingly nervous that the 77-year-old two-term senator would lose a critical race as the party tries to cling to its diminished minority in the Senate.

On Thursday afternoon, Kentucky GOP Secretary of State Trey Grayson announced that he would form an exploratory committee to run for Bunning’s seat — a move that Kentucky GOP operatives say is a precursor to Bunning's retirement. Grayson's entry will come as a relief to Kentucky Republicans and Senate GOP leaders, who may now have reason to believe their party could hold on to this seat.

“He told Trey to do this,” one senior congressional official said of Bunning. “Why else would he tell his main rival to prepare for a run?”

Asked to comment outside the Senate chamber Thursday, Bunning said: "I won't talk to you."

“Republican can breathe a great sigh of relief, not just in Kentucky but also nationally. It’s a great development for McConnell,” said Al Cross, director of the Institute for Rural Journalism and Community Issues at the University of Kentucky. “The party has been in a world of hurt and [with Bunning in the race] this was the Democrats’ number one pickup opportunity.”

Even without Bunning in the field, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee still plans on targeting the race.

“We feel that Democrats can pick up Kentucky’s senate seat whether Sen. Bunning or Senator McConnell’s handpicked candidate Trey Grayson is running,” said Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee spokesman Eric Schultz.

In a statement, Grayson said he doesn’t plan on running against Bunning and is merely making preparations to run in case Bunning does not run for a third term.

“I have formed an exploratory committee to allow me to formally raise and spend funds as I seek support for a bid for U.S. Senate,” Grayson said in a statement.

“I have no plans to run against Sen. Bunning. This exploratory committee will allow me to travel the commonwealth, meet with potential supporters and lay the foundation for a campaign.”

One Kentucky Republican operative said that the seeds of Bunning’s decision were planted at a public event back in Kentucky that both Grayson and Bunning attended several weeks ago. Bunning sensed that Grayson was getting anxious waiting for him to decide whether to run for re-election, so he told Grayson that he should just form an exploratory committee.