PDA

View Full Version : Video: Specter says party switching will severly weaken GOP, like death in family

Liberty Star
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
In case this was not posted here before:

YouTube - Sen. Specter 2001 Rule to Prevent Party Switching (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v6zwg8SAsY)

Actions speak louder than words and what a lying piece of hypocrite he's been.

Deborah K
04-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, well, if we didn't have a party system in the first place (collectivism at its worst) this wouldn't be an issue....

Liberty Star
04-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah, well, if we didn't have a party system in the first place (collectivism at its worst) this wouldn't be an issue....

You meant "2 party system"?
Or you're against party system altogether? If so, what's the alternative.

An opportunist hypocrite like Specter does not represent anything though.

Original_Intent
04-30-2009, 03:23 PM
I am against the party system. Particularly when the parties in power can make laws to block entrance into the big game.

Many of the founders were against the idea of political parties. I guess the libertarian view is if people want to group together into parties, they should have the the right to do that. But when they conspire to block access to the political process, they need to be brought down. <IMHO>

p.s. ddn't mean to answer for Deborah K, just expressing MY opinion. Yeah, I know that is pretty hard to imagine...I'm such a wall flower.

Deborah K
04-30-2009, 03:27 PM
You meant "2 party system"?
Or you're against party system altogether? If so, what's the alternative.

An opportunist hypocrite like Specter does not represent anything though.

I'm against the party system although I wouldn't be for outlawing them or anything like that, just a paradigm shift from parties and factions to individuals with platforms - aka a declaration of principles. Specter may not represent anything but that's because he doesn't have to. His power is in his choice of party.

Deborah K
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
p.s. ddn't mean to answer for Deborah K, just expressing MY opinion. Yeah, I know that is pretty hard to imagine...I'm such a wall flower.

The thought never even crossed my mind. ;) As always your opinion is valued by me.

Liberty Star
04-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I am against the party system. Particularly when the parties in power can make laws to block entrance into the big game.

Many of the founders were against the idea of political parties. I guess the libertarian view is if people want to group together into parties, they should have the the right to do that. But when they conspire to block access to the political process, they need to be brought down. <IMHO>

I'm all for individualism and have not really thought about the issue but I didn't know if a democratic political system could function without like minded citizens grouping in one form or another on a platform.
The way party system is being played out in our current political environment with almost monoply of the two parties on the political voice in this nation, it's a political sin imo and a major malfunction. But it's hard to imagine a democratic system for me without any grouping of people. That's where I was coming from.

Liberty Star
04-30-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm against the party system although I wouldn't be for outlawing them or anything like that, just a paradigm shift from parties and factions to individuals with platforms - aka a declaration of principles. Specter may not represent anything but that's because he doesn't have to. His power is in his choice of party.

Then we probably don't disagree on this deep down, with one exception perhaps; I'm not a fan of either of the two current parties but I'm not against the party system itself altogether. At least not yet :)

virgil47
04-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Specter has always been a progressive. He simply plied his trade under the cover of the Republican party. He has routinely voted with the progressives on anything of importance.

BuddyRey
04-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Death in the family?

Specter sure thinks highly of himself! :rolleyes:

tpreitzel
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Death in the family?

Specter sure thinks highly of himself! :rolleyes:

Let's all gag in unison...

Liberty Star
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Death in the family?