PDA

View Full Version : Biden tells family to stay off planes, subways

gls
04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jLnHnko4_w1OMl3TDGKXwImeFCvQD97SREK80

WASHINGTON (AP) — Joe Biden said Thursday he advised his family to stay off airplanes and subways because of the new swine flu, a remark that forced the vice president's office to backtrack and prompted one airline official to complain about "fear-mongering."

"I would tell members of my family — and I have — that I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now," Biden said on NBC's "Today" show.

Biden, who has a reputation for off-the-cuff remarks, went beyond any precautions recommended by the federal government. In discussing his personal advice to his family, he said simply, "That's me."

Within two hours, Biden's office issued a statement backing off the remarks and suggesting he was talking about travel to Mexico.

"On the 'Today Show' this morning, the vice president was asked what he would tell a family member who was considering air travel to Mexico this week," said spokeswoman Elizabeth Alexander. "The advice he is giving family members is the same advice the administration is giving to all Americans: that they should avoid unnecessary air travel to and from Mexico. If they are sick, they should avoid airplanes and other confined public spaces, such as subways."

Biden, who has three grown children and five grandchildren, was asked whether he would advise his own family against flying to Mexico on a commercial flight.

"It's not just going to Mexico, if you're in a confined aircraft and one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft," Biden said on NBC. "That's me. I would not be at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway."

What a moron. It's almost as if they're trying to incite panic. I wonder if this is the "manufactured crisis" Biden was talking about a few months ago.

Bruno
04-30-2009, 08:33 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jLnHnko4_w1OMl3TDGKXwImeFCvQD97SREK80

What a moron. It's almost as if they're trying to incite panic. I wonder if this is the "manufactured crisis" Biden was talking about a few months ago.

YouTube - Joe Biden delivering an ominous message about Barack Obama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZoErMxDPoQ)

AgentOrange
04-30-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree, this interview is the final part that convinces me this "flu" pandemic is all hype. If it were real, he wouldn't be on TV, he'd be hunkered down hiding somewhere.

MRoCkEd
04-30-2009, 08:49 AM
I always take my advice from Joe Biden...

acptulsa
04-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Don't ride a subway to Mexico. Sound advice.

apropos
04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Doesn't strike me as any sort of conspiracy (and why is that always the first thing we say over any news event?)...Biden said what basically amounts to common sense. Then someone told him his words have more weight than they used to since he is vice president and he backpedaled.

It's just typical cover-my-ass action from a politician. Before the PC era, the truth might not have been such a big deal.

sevin
04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Don't ride a subway to Mexico. Sound advice.

:D

Andrew-Austin
04-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Stay away from Taco Bell at all costs.

literatim
04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I would recommend my family the exact same thing.

I would also tell them not to eat at restaurants.

Agent CSL
04-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I agree with Apropos; Biden was just expressing what any sane, normal, loving father or grandfather would advise. It's just because he's the vice president does it take a more ominous view to some people. But in reality, it's just common sense. Something that is very out of the ordinary for this current administration.

kahless
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Doesn't strike me as any sort of conspiracy (and why is that always the first thing we say over any news event?)...Biden said what basically amounts to common sense. Then someone told him his words have more weight than they used to since he is vice president and he backpedaled.

It's just typical cover-my-ass action from a politician. Before the PC era, the truth might not have been such a big deal.

+1

Bruno
04-30-2009, 09:39 AM

Because in that video he advised us all to look for conspiracies against this president.

gls
04-30-2009, 09:41 AM
How is it common sense to not "go anywhere in confined places", as Biden recommends? That's an extremely irresponsible thing to say, and it fits in line with the hyped up nature of this supposed outbreak.

acptulsa
04-30-2009, 09:51 AM
How is it common sense to not "go anywhere in confined places", as Biden recommends? That's an extremely irresponsible thing to say, and it fits in line with the hyped up nature of this supposed outbreak.

Imagine the reaction if a Republican advised against using public transportation. It wouldn't be pretty. He or she would be accused of being an unrealistic elitist who doesn't care about our energy independence, the environment, etc...

Of course, we know Biden to be all of the above. We just don't hear anyone saying it. Very odd the selective immunities these powermongers get just by hanging either a D or an R behind their names.

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I agree with Biden. If there is a true pandemic, I would recommend staying out of enclosed places with other people.

He had to change his tune because it's politically incorrect to suggest that you can catch the flu in a crowded bus. Next thing you know, someone will suggest some type of border control or immigrant health check, and we can't have that!

Whether or not we really have a deadly flu pandemic is not clear at this point. Time will tell. Flu goes around all the time, nothing indicates an extra-deadly flu in the US yet...

paulitics
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
I love how they tell us to cancel all trips to Mexico, than tell us the Mexican crossing over the border won' t make a difference. Does anyone see a problem with their logic? Either the flu can be contained, or it can't. They can't have it both ways.

About the closed spaces; whatever Biden says, the opposite is true. Now that he is retracting his words, I believe a pandemic is more likely than when he told us to be afraid earlier today.

puppetmaster
04-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Well if this spreads via contact or close airborne contact then this does make sense. Just like any flu you need to avoid contamination. I travel quite a bit via air and find the in most cases if I get sick it is after a flight. Could be that I came in contact with more people in enclosed areas and also get exposed to different germs. So Isolation does make sense to some degree.

Aratus
05-01-2009, 09:51 AM
were the people extremely dehydrated in mexico city? with proper medical care, several of the flu sufferers
are on the rebound, and this has biden lookin' like a hypocondriac... i gotta luv our veep! he's quotable!:D

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Why do they keep bandying the word 'pandemic' about when this hasn't even become--and doesn't look like it will become--an epidemic?

HOLLYWOOD
05-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Look elsewhere... it's a divergence to keep the public from keying in on all the illegal government actions.

Some things never change.

Saturday Night Live's parody of Joe 'Robinette' Biden is dead on.

Remember everyone... "It's Patriotic to pay Taxes!"